T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I felt like I was so ready for college and everything that it entailed, but as my classes begin, I realize how underprepared I really was. Computer Science classes aren't super hard (yet), just binary addition, which seems complex but I feel like that will get easier as I practice. What's giving me trouble, even though I tried to prepare beforehand is Precalculus. It is so damn hard and I have so many assignments I have to complete before the summer is over. I spent hours yesterday and got done with 2 assignments. That's it. The teacher is practically nonexistent. She gave us a site to do the work, and a textbook, but I can't even begin to grasp anything. It is so difficult, and I don't know why it is to me. I'm sure it might be easier to other people, who knows, but to me, it's awful.

English composition is an easy class, mostly essay writing and friendly classmates. Computer Science, while not the easiest, is the best class. I have lectures to watch, I feel like those help. He posts resources to help us learn, and makes sure the lectures only take about 3 hours per week. I just needed to vent a little, about Precalculus mainly. I really hope I don't fail it.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: cgrtt.brns, Ferret77, charlotte_ and 3 others
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
I'm sorry you're having trouble. Does your school have any tutoring service?

You can also watch tutorial lessons on YouTube, for example Khan Academy or Krista King.

Just work through each problem step by step and pay close attention to what you're doing at each step.

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I'm sorry you're having trouble. Does your school have any tutoring service?

You can also watch tutorial lessons on YouTube, for example Khan Academy or Krista King.

Just work through each problem step by step and pay close attention to what you're doing at each step.
It does but it's not just that, it's that there's close to 100 assignments that I have to finish before the summers over, so 10 weeks give or take and it takes me hours just to get one done, not including the time I spend on other classes.

I've actually used Khan Academy a lot to help me on some assignments. My most recent one that I did yesterday, Polynomials, wasn't too bad but I forgot how exactly to factor polynomials so I had to watch a video to remind myself.

I might have to schedule a tutoring session soon.

lucines

lucines

Barely even human
Jan 1, 2019
I'm sorry to hear you're struggling. Math classes are the achilles heel of many CS students and it's not uncommon for people to feel completely lost during their assignments, but the best way to improve your math skills is to practice, practice and then practice some more. Aside from the youtube channels mentioned by LaVieEnRose I've also found this site to be useful, it contains a lot of examples with complete explanations. I've also heard of people using ChatGPT to act as a tutor but especially with GPT-3.5 it might be a bit risky since it's not infallible, still something to look into though.

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I'm sorry to hear you're struggling. Math classes are the achilles heel of many CS students and it's not uncommon for people to feel completely lost during their assignments, but the best way to improve your math skills is to practice, practice and then practice some more. Aside from the youtube channels mentioned by LaVieEnRose I've also found this site to be useful, it contains a lot of examples with complete explanations. I've also heard of people using ChatGPT to act as a tutor but especially with GPT-3.5 it might be a bit risky since it's not infallible, still something to look into though.
I've tried studying but some topics I just really struggle getting a good grasp on. I might try chatgpt honestly, and see where that goes. I feel like my anxiety will be through the roof with actual tutoring so I'm willing to try other avenues first. I've used Khan Academy videos mostly, and other videos on YouTube. I felt a bit relieved to do some simple math (binary addition) for my CS class. I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles with this, I was worried that maybe I'm here taking hours on a single assignment while my peers are zooming through them with ease

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
I've tried studying but some topics I just really struggle getting a good grasp on. I might try chatgpt honestly, and see where that goes. I feel like my anxiety will be through the roof with actual tutoring so I'm willing to try other avenues first. I've used Khan Academy videos mostly, and other videos on YouTube. I felt a bit relieved to do some simple math (binary addition) for my CS class. I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles with this, I was worried that maybe I'm here taking hours on a single assignment while my peers are zooming through them with ease
Sounds like you may need someone to physically there with you. Don't feel bad; some people have a greater aptitude for certain things. I'm certain with enough practice you'll come to grasp the material.

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
Sounds like you may need someone to physically there with you. Don't feel bad; some people have a greater aptitude for certain things. I'm certain with enough practice you'll come to grasp the material.
I sure hope so, maybe if I am able to get down the basics, they'll just build off each other and it'll be easier, at least I'm hoping that's the case. My next goal is to complete this chapter 1 quiz, and then begin chapter 2 hopefully accomplishing both today but I won't be upset if I don't until tomorrow. Chapter 2 seems to be similar, but more focused on word problems, and real world application of polynomials.

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
I sure hope so, maybe if I am able to get down the basics, they'll just build off each other and it'll be easier, at least I'm hoping that's the case. My next goal is to complete this chapter 1 quiz, and then begin chapter 2 hopefully accomplishing both today but I won't be upset if I don't until tomorrow. Chapter 2 seems to be similar, but more focused on word problems, and real world application of polynomials.
I don't know how much math you have to do for your degree but a lot of people struggle with higher math because they didn't master the algebra. So you want to make sure that you get that down.

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I don't know how much math you have to do for your degree but a lot of people struggle with higher math because they didn't master the algebra. So you want to make sure that you get that down.
I have to do Calculus I and II, and then another math elective. I think some of my options are Calc. III, Linear Algebra, and there's some more that I can't remember off the top of my head. I remember some of the algebraic concepts I learned in high school but I'm relearning some concepts that I forgot by now.

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
I have to do Calculus I and II, and then another math elective. I think some of my options are Calc. III, Linear Algebra, and there's some more that I can't remember off the top of my head. I remember some of the algebraic concepts I learned in high school but I'm relearning some concepts that I forgot by now.
Just keep on practicing and build a solid foundation of algebra. You'll be needing it.

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
Just keep on practicing and build a solid foundation of algebra. You'll be needing it.
I hope so, I'm honestly winging it. I don't know if it's possible to even do this without any cheating. There's about 100+ assignments that I have to do over the summer, it's insane. That boils down to about 10 assignments per week, and I can't remember the concepts I've learned when I move onto the next assignment