H

HadEnough1974

I try to be funny...
Jan 14, 2020
Hello everyone,

I like creating threads that are thought provoking and gets people talking.

A singer / Comedian / Performer by the name of Bo Burnham wrote a song called "Kill Yourself."

I'd like your thoughts:
How does it make you feel?
Do you find it funny?
Did it make your smile?
Do you find it offensive?

Do you think he has ever suffered from depression or been suicidal? Is this his way of dealing with his own issues?

Last edited:
Reactions: Indieblue
O

Onlyborrowedtime

Realising the golden age never existed
Feb 11, 2020
I listen to this song a long time ago. To me I find it funny as dark humour but it feels kinda on the borderline? I can totally see why people would be upset by it. But in the context of a comedic show its fine. IMO people shouldn't really be offended by stuff offered up in a clearly comedic situation. You can dislike it/not find it funny but shouldn't be actively offended by it.

I think it's been documented a couple of times he's struggled with mental health issues. Most people in entertainment have/are suffering to some degree. Comedians especially use it as a way to escape. You'd be surprised how much comedy comes from people in dark places.

Reactions: HadEnough1974
brokerofsecrets

brokerofsecrets

my best wasn’t good enough
Feb 3, 2020
I think it's hilarious. The only people who should be finding this offensive are the pro-lifers.

Reactions: LastRide, Fragile and HadEnough1974
H

HadEnough1974

I try to be funny...
Jan 14, 2020
I listen to this song a long time ago. To me I find it funny as dark humour but it feels kinda on the borderline? I can totally see why people would be upset by it. But in the context of a comedic show its fine. IMO people shouldn't really be offended by stuff offered up in a clearly comedic situation. You can dislike it/not find it funny but shouldn't be actively offended by it.

I think it's been documented a couple of times he's struggled with mental health issues. Most people in entertainment have/are suffering to some degree. Comedians especially use it as a way to escape. You'd be surprised how much comedy comes from people in dark places.

I agree and yes I find him funny. But at the same time I also thinking it might not be to those who have lost someone to suicide.

brokerofsecrets

brokerofsecrets

my best wasn’t good enough
Feb 3, 2020
I agree and yes I find him funny. But at the same time I also thinking it might not be to those who have lost someone to suicide.

Well, anyone who has lost a loved one to suicide inevitably takes a pro-life, anti-choice stance because of their own selfishness right? "We need to stop people from doing this because I wanted my loved one around" like that persons life is in their hands. Fuck em all, this is comedy gold.

Reactions: Fragile, Indieblue and HadEnough1974
H

HadEnough1974

I try to be funny...
Jan 14, 2020
Well, anyone who has lost a loved one to suicide inevitably takes a pro-life, anti-choice stance because of their own selfishness right? "We need to stop people from doing this because I wanted my loved one around" like that persons life is in their hands. Fuck em all, this is comedy gold.

Glad you liked it.

O

Onlyborrowedtime

Feb 11, 2020

I get that, and tbh there is a small part of me that gets annoyed at trivialising what suicidal people are going through. But I know he's a comic who's suffered similarly with mental health issues and I think that gives it comedic value.

I think the context it's in makes it funny as much as the song is funny itself (if that makes sense?)

Edit: I made my previous posts based on my memory of the song which is always bad. Having relisten to it I don't think it's trivialising anything. I still get why people might be offended by it. But it will only be people who it's a sensitive issue for already.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indieblue and HadEnough1974
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I found it slightly bothersome (even if it is a parody), it has some pro-lifey vibes to it, especially when he sings lyrics denouncing 'suicide' to be a negative and also the overt suggestion of getting help. Well for people who wish to get help and want to recover, it isn't necessarily a bad thing, but to make pro-choice seem like a negative, sorry, I don't agree with the message he is sending..

In spite of all that, some lines in his lyric is humorous, especially near the end when he talks about ways one could 'die' even as far-fetched as it sounds.

Reactions: Indieblue and HadEnough1974
O

Onlyborrowedtime

Feb 11, 2020
I found it slightly bothersome (even if it is a parody), it has some pro-lifey vibes to it, especially when he sings lyrics denouncing 'suicide' to be a negative and also the overt suggestion of getting help. Well for people who wish to get help and want to recover, it isn't necessarily a bad thing, but to make pro-choice seem like a negative, sorry, I don't agree with the message he is sending..

In spite of all that, some lines in his lyric is humorous, especially near the end when he talks about ways one could 'die' even as far-fetched as it sounds.

I find it interesting you think it's pro-life. I don't think seeing suicide as a negative makes your pro-life. I also think we have vastly different interpretations of the song. I don't think when hes talking about looking for help he's talking to the chronically depressed. I think the song is more focused on people who say they are "depressed" because I've been feeling sad for a few hours. Hence the Katy Perry line. IMO seeking help should be the first step for anyone feeling suicidal then when you've run out of options/given up trying you can consider CTB. Maybe that makes me pro-life....

To me he's making fun of people who say " I want to kill myself" when they have too much homework or something trivial. As he's suffered with mental health himself I knows the struggle of people using that phrase carefree when it holds real wait to people like us.

Reactions: Fragile, Indieblue and HadEnough1974