wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Peanuts aren't nuts! They're seeds!
Jan 21, 2021
How warped is this.
We have all suffered enough by our own measure of tolerance to be on this forum. To have sought it out and be engaging on here. And yet, the mainstream anti choice narrative is such that it not only undermines what we have been through but also sees THIS (which is a form of relief, or hope for many of us) as something vile. It further alienates people who need the most support and love.

I appreciate this community. I appreciate that we have a space where our voice is not censored. Because censorship or not, people do die, people do WANT to die, and quieting those voices will not change reality. It is a shame that our systems cannot make space for the suffering it inflicts on many.
And by system I just mean that if we all had food, financial, social, emotional, and health security- we would have higher chances of coping better with whatever each of us are dealing with. I feel like somehow people have decided that instead of looking at whats actually wrong, it is easier to gaslight and blame the people who want to leave for being "irrational". It wont work.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: ithappens, Cronetappingout, stevieu and 14 others
NodusTollens

NodusTollens

Nov 17, 2020
Well said.

It's far easier to point fingers & blame at others than to make lasting changes. Oftentimes it's a show, as. they pretend to shuffle money around, then say that in order to support MH they need to pull money from other programs & cut funding... guess we'll take it from social assistance/disability benefits... they don't need the money.

I use myself as an example, I am housed through a rent-subsidy program, as I am on disability. Should the government cut the funding to his program, I would be homeless.

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: ithappens, wordsonscreen, botanormal and 4 others
Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
Capitalism.

• Love
Reactions: ithappens, wordsonscreen, botanormal and 2 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
You're goddamn right (with Walter White's voice)

F*ck the system.

• Love
Reactions: ithappens, kite, wordsonscreen and 5 others

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
There is this silly hypothesis that keeps circling in my mind these days:

Most of us have blind spots (or weak spots) in our psyche. Inconvenient thoughts and imagery are concealed behind them, which, when unleashed, would cause disturbance, make people more emotionally agitated and driven to do all sorts of drastic things, some of which are bad for self-preservation. In the same way the state would try to disallow the media from publishing the kind of information that would compromise its power.

I have my blind spots. They are somehow tied to traumatic childhood experiences. I can ruminate on the past but I can't seem to locate my own blind spots. My subconscious is working overtime to hide their location from me. Other people usually no issues pushing my blind spots since they don't know where they are. Think of a severely injured body part that pains when you touch it. I think it's common to try best to avoid touching in yourself, but others could do it unintentionally, out of ignorance.

The notion of a dark side of life, that it might not be worth experiencing, that it might be worse than non-existence, that one might be better off exiting life now than continuing, is a blind spot of most people. I'm not even talking about someone with a big list of incapacitating diseases, but quite an average person with average stats, resources, or accomplishments. Maybe even above average.

And yet, the mainstream anti choice narrative is such that it not only undermines what we have been through but also sees THIS (which is a form of relief, or hope for many of us) as something vile. It further alienates people who need the most support and love.
Undermining what we have been through and seeing this forum as vile, among other anti-choice behaviors when it comes to suicide, is in large part the byproduct behavior of being blind to this dark side of life I'm talking about. I'm not expecting to see any acceptance for as long as the unseen is not revealed. This is in large part also why usually people feel depressed, agitated, hostile, and wanting to "fix" the person who says "I think I just might be better off dead", or worse "I want to suicide; I'm going to do it, and I have planned it beforehand". These ideas, when ingested, disrupt the barrier that protects the individual from inconvenient thoughts.

This is also why I don't wish to befriend non-suicidal people, and try not to talk about suicide with most people, including family, RL "friends", coworkers, costudents, health industry workers, social workers, etc.. This is what makes this forum, in contrast, so damn appealing to me. Not empathy, compassion, love or whatever, but understanding and solidarity.

• Love
Reactions: ithappens, stevieu, wordsonscreen and 5 others
profoundexperience

profoundexperience

You can feel the punishment but you cant commit ts
Jun 29, 2020
Most of us have blind spots (or weak spots) in our psyche. ... some of which are bad for self-preservation. ... I have my blind spots. ... My subconscious is working overtime to hide their location from me.
Very well said! In my humble opinion, knowing that you (and indeed all of us) have "blind spots" is the essence of wisdom, @Burzolog.

I often say this "mantra" to myself: May I not be blind to my blindnesses.
The notion ... that [life] might not be worth experiencing, that it might be worse than non-existence, that one might be better off exiting life now than continuing, is a blind spot of most people.
I'd say... that's not just a hypothesis... but a provable truth.

The one thing all our ancestors have all shared – over vast eons of time – is they all "survived"... Is it any wonder then that we all have evolved a huge "blind spot"/aversion to even the mere suggestion of an ending?

Reactions: 262653
D

descartes

Jan 16, 2021

Most of us have blind spots (or weak spots) in our psyche. Inconvenient thoughts and imagery are concealed behind them, which, when unleashed, would cause disturbance, make people more emotionally agitated and driven to do all sorts of drastic things, some of which are bad for self-preservation. In the same way the state would try to disallow the media from publishing the kind of information that would compromise its power.

I have my blind spots. They are somehow tied to traumatic childhood experiences. I can ruminate on the past but I can't seem to locate my own blind spots. My subconscious is working overtime to hide their location from me. Other people usually no issues pushing my blind spots since they don't know where they are. Think of a severely injured body part that pains when you touch it. I think it's common to try best to avoid touching in yourself, but others could do it unintentionally, out of ignorance.

The notion of a dark side of life, that it might not be worth experiencing, that it might be worse than non-existence, that one might be better off exiting life now than continuing, is a blind spot of most people. I'm not even talking about someone with a big list of incapacitating diseases, but quite an average person with average stats, resources, or accomplishments. Maybe even above average.

Undermining what we have been through and seeing this forum as vile, among other anti-choice behaviors when it comes to suicide, is in large part the byproduct behavior of being blind to this dark side of life I'm talking about. I'm not expecting to see any acceptance for as long as the unseen is not revealed. This is in large part also why usually people feel depressed, agitated, hostile, and wanting to "fix" the person who says "I think I just might be better off dead", or worse "I want to suicide; I'm going to do it, and I have planned it beforehand". These ideas, when ingested, disrupt the barrier that protects the individual from inconvenient thoughts.

This is also why I don't wish to befriend non-suicidal people, and try not to talk about suicide with most people, including family, RL "friends", coworkers, costudents, health industry workers, social workers, etc.. This is what makes this forum, in contrast, so damn appealing to me. Not empathy, compassion, love or whatever, but understanding and solidarity.
This is so well said, thank you man

wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Peanuts aren't nuts! They're seeds!
Jan 21, 2021

"The notion of a dark side of life, that it might not be worth experiencing, that it might be worse than non-existence, that one might be better off exiting life now than continuing, is a blind spot of most people."
This wow yeah. And entire systems are built to support people not looking. Thank you for sharing. I think befriending suicidal people has actually been incredibly helpful for my mental health. I need genuine real understanding. Understanding is love. Making me do stuff I do not want to is not love.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: stevieu, NodusTollens, 262653 and 1 other person