F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
I don't think it's a mind game but it's a bad idea. It's not sustainable because someone else will be forced to pay for it. There is no such thing as free. The rich can't pay that for very long. The welfare state is already about insolvent as it stands now at least in the US.

N

NotWhatIExpected

Jan 27, 2020
I don't think it's a mind game but it's a bad idea. It's not sustainable because someone else will be forced to pay for it. There is no such thing as free. The rich can't pay that for very long. The welfare state is already about insolvent as it stands now at least in the US.
But couldn't machines do all the work somehow?

mesohappy

mesohappy

Cat piss sammich??
Jan 10, 2020
I think its just a legal way of buying votes...That said I would gladly cash the checks! But yeah,unsustainable.

Reactions: Final Escape
N

NotWhatIExpected

Jan 27, 2020
I think its just a legal way of buying votes...That said I would gladly cash the checks! But yeah,unsustainable.
So is homelessness just going to exist forever, then?

And prison as a consequence of homelessness?

mesohappy

mesohappy

Cat piss sammich??
Jan 10, 2020
Homelessness HAS lasted forever,Its been all through history..As the population of the world explodes,so it does also where you live.It can be alleviated,but will never be completely solved.Some people refuse to not be homeless,believe it or not.

I don't think anyone should go to prison for being homeless,and know a lot of people who have been homeless and have NEVER been to prison.

F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
So is homelessness just going to exist forever, then?

And prison as a consequence of homelessness?
As long as we have a government controlling the money and policies, homelessness will continue to exist because we don't have a free market. Government causes misallocations of resources because of central planning and meddling in the economy to cause shortages of affordable housing. It's really cruel because it hurts people who are the poorest who really need a cheap place to live preferably without roommates. Not everyone wants to buy a home or can.
But couldn't machines do all the work somehow?
Maybe some stuff but not everything. Someone will still have to be intelligent enough to maintain the machines. Average iq is dropping because the smarter people are not having many or any kids. As there is fewer intelligent people being born I'm not sure how the infrastructure will be maintained.

Last edited:
Reactions: mesohappy
Majin K.

Majin K.

too weak for this world
Jan 9, 2020
Currently just a pipe dream. Someone has to pay more than they receive from UBI to fund it. Yang was suggesting to get rid of the majority of welfare programs to redirect the money to UBI. If you're fine with that great I guess.

N

NotWhatIExpected

Jan 27, 2020
As long as we have a government controlling the money and policies, homelessness will continue to exist because we don't have a free market. Government causes misallocations of resources because of central planning and meddling in the economy to cause shortages of affordable housing. It's really cruel because it hurts people who are the poorest who really need a cheap place to live preferably without roommates. Not everyone wants to buy a home or can.

Maybe some stuff but not everything. Someone will still have to be intelligent enough to maintain the machines. Average iq is dropping because the smarter people are not having many or any kids. As there is fewer intelligent people being born I'm not sure how the infrastructure will be maintained."
"Maybe some stuff but not everything. Someone will still have to be intelligent enough to maintain the machines. Average iq is dropping because the smarter people are not having many or any kids. As there is fewer intelligent people being born I'm not sure how the infrastructure will be maintained"

I think machines could still be used more easily than you say

Also most of the rest of that line of reasoning will get you and us in trouble

I think you're probably being insincere anyway, though

F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
"Maybe some stuff but not everything. Someone will still have to be intelligent enough to maintain the machines. Average iq is dropping because the smarter people are not having many or any kids. As there is fewer intelligent people being born I'm not sure how the infrastructure will be maintained"

I think machines could still be used more easily than you say

Also most of the rest of that line of reasoning will get you and us in trouble

I think you're probably being insincere anyway, though
Lol! Ok. I meant that very high iq people are not having as many kids or not having at all and iq is genetic to a large degree. I'm not saying an average iq is not intelligent but u do need very high iq's to invent, create, and maintain sophisticated technology.

Last edited:
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
As much as I want it to happen, I don't think it will be a reality, at least not in the form that Yang presented it in (or similarly). I believe @Final Escape is right about it being unsustainable and things.

N

NotWhatIExpected

Jan 27, 2020
As much as I want it to happen, I don't think it will be a reality, at least not in the form that Yang presented it in (or similarly). I believe @Final Escape is right about it being unsustainable and things.
So what will probably happen then, in your opinion?

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
So what will probably happen then, in your opinion?
I think what would happen is that things stay more or less the same as they have been in present day. Then in a future election or something, the topic would resurface again. At best, just maybe, we may see a very small scale experiment done by a company/local government in a controlled environment, where a select few recipients get UBI and then the company/local government monitors the experiment. Something similar to what Finland has done in the past.

Reactions: Final Escape and mesohappy
Majin K.

Majin K.

too weak for this world
Jan 9, 2020
I think what would happen is that things stay more or less the same as they have been in present day. Then in a future election or something, the topic would resurface again. At best, just maybe, we may see a very small scale experiment done by a company/local government in a controlled environment, where a select few recipients get UBI and then the company/local government monitors the experiment. Something similar to what Finland has done in the past.
I think such tests already exist.

N

NotWhatIExpected

Jan 27, 2020
In your opinion, will life get "better" or "worse"? Do you think that sort of a question even makes sense?