nigelhernandez

nigelhernandez

Experienced
Apr 14, 2020
You always here "parents should be parents and never friends with their kids" but I disagree. Are they mutually exclusive? Can't a parent be friendly to their kids while still guiding them.

The reason I ask is because from anecdotal experience, I know two people from my school who were raised by ultra conservative religious folks. They turned out gay, were kicked out and are now homeless drug addicts. One is dead. I also know a girl from my school who was raised in a very liberal home environment. Her parents were her friends (but they also let her smoke weed).

Well now, she is a professional public speaker earning €80,000 at only 21. Meanwhile I at the same age haven't even graduated college. So if 'lax' parenting is so bad, why did she turn out so okay?

• Hugs
Reactions: ReflectionOfTrauma
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
Guidance to me means being an example and setting limits, not controlling or being punitive. Guidance to me means teaching that actions can have negative consequences or rewarding consequences, allowing the child to experience natural consequences, and teaching them how to think about consequences before they act.

The conservative examples sound like environments of non-acceptance, control, and punishment.

Just because your friend's parents allowed her to smoke weed and were liberal doesn't mean they were totally lax. I'd need to know more. Maybe her parents felt that making weed taboo would only make it more desirable, which would give it and other drugs undue power. Maybe her parents were successful socially and in work, and were good examples. Maybe they taught her values and tools for experiencing success. Maybe they set limits but weren't abusive, which gave her a foundation for feeling confident and capable.

I've heard plenty of stories on the forum and elsewhere of people whose parents let them do whatever they wanted, and while they enjoyed it at the time, they didn't know how to understand the variety of limits adults are faced with nor how to deal with them, and they felt directionless.

My parents were conservative, punitive, and non-accepting of difference. And I was very different from them.

My father had social anxiety and, while other people liked him and sought his friendship, he had no intimate, close friendships. My mother had some friendships, but her being sociable was limited by my father's not being sociable, so I never had an example of true intimate friendships and relying on friends for support, including friends who support by challenging one's ideas and beliefs, or to have friendships that were as important and strong, or almost as much, as a marriage and the nuclear family.

My mother was supposedly my friend and I hers, but that friend hit me and verbally abused me, and my focus was on pleasing her and being attentive to her wants and needs, but it wasn't mutual. She did not seek my approval, but I was to seek hers. So it's hard for me to understand a parent as a friend, but I would have appreciated and benefitted from parents who taught me critical thinking skills and rewarded good behavior, rather than setting demands and punishing any behavior that strayed from those demands. I would have appreciated parents who weren't isolated and isolating so that I could have had examples of the benefits of friendship.

Their punitiveness and non-acceptance also made it difficult for me to understand limits in the adult world because I tended to rebel against and resent authority since it was equated with control. I reacted to much authority as controlling and therefore not to my benefit, and I didn't have the skills and savvy to work with authority to my advantage, nor to mutual advantage.

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Children need guidance, boundaries and an adult's supervision when they are growing up because their brains are not fully developed, and they do not understand the consequences of their actions. Left to their own devices, children can make really bad decisions.

For instance you can't let a child decide what to eat for lunch and dinner every day because the child might choose candy each time, which would ruin their health.

I think the saying you mention doesn't mean that guidance and friendship are excluding each other.

I interpret it as: guidance should take precedence over friendship in cases where children aren't able to make good decisions.

You can't let your kid eat candy for lunch every day just to be their best friend.

@GoodPersonEffed

"So it's hard for me to understand a parent as a friend."

For me it's the opposite. I cannot imagine my parents not being my friends.

Last edited:
Reactions: Myforevercharlie
Soulless_Angel

Soulless_Angel

existence is futile
Jul 10, 2019
I tried being a friend to my oldest, the result is a spoilt brat who has no respect for me as she sees me as someone on her level. The result is a child who is older then her years, a child whom struggles with her siblings as she sees them as children, whilst she sees herself as an adult.
My other children, are my children, they know and respect their place, they know whom is in *charge* and who makes the final decisions, as much as it pisses them off they respect it. Were as my oldest wil argue with me.
My oldest is a friend whom i have fallen out with, she yells at me, she argues with me, she does what the hell she wants.
the others are my children whom they yell at me, I yell at them, they realise their role and we then agree to disagree, and we reach an amicable comprise

Being friends with a child sucks, being a parent works

Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
Myforevercharlie

Myforevercharlie

Global Mod
Feb 13, 2020
I was a teenmom... I was so not ready to be a mother. My son and i were more like friends, that isn't good. I didn't guide him, like a parent is supposed to do. Ill always feel guilty about that. He's an adult now, a recovering alcoholic.
Im not saying thats because of our strange bond, but it certainly didn't help...

- he's doing good now, turned his life around after a near fatal accident...

If i could do it all over again....

• Love
Reactions: Epsilon0