sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, thatā€™s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Gossamer

Gossamer

Todos estamos untados
Sep 1, 2022
I guess hypervigilance or some actions that may seem weird, like apologizing over and over, flinching. My PTSD manifests with intense bouts of insomnia, a propension to beg for forgiveness, being stealthy for mundane things (like hiding a baguette I've bought because I'm scared buying bread is wrong??), irritability, avoidance, dissociation that makes me seem cold/aloof...

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Ambivalent1, sserafim, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 1 other person
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

ęƒ³ę­»äøčƒ½ - ęƒ³ę“»äøčƒ½
Nov 23, 2020
It depends on the person. Some people may talk more and ramble because they're triggered and uncomfortable. Others freeze up and go distant. Certain people may excuse themselves from the situation and run away, hiding away until they feel safe again.

Often times, people can mistake a person being triggered as an anxiety attack, when it isn't quite the same thing, and a person with PTSD may not be showing any visible signs on the surface like shaking or struggling to breathe while experiencing great inner turmoil, nausea, and adrenaline rushes, a sense of feeling violated. It varies a lot from person to person.

My PTSD can make me dissociate heavily and freeze up, being unable to stand up for myself and fight back to evade triggering situations. There have been many occasions where I was suffering from PTSD and experiencing great fear because I was in a medical environment, and the staff could tell that something was wrong and my body was stressed out because I needed them to desperately back off and quit touching me, but they would laugh at me and say I was being an anxious little girl even though my blood pressure was through the roof.

Even when I have explained that I have PTSD to many people, they seem to think it is like the anxiety someone may feel before giving a presentation, or mustering up the courage to go speak to a cashier if you're socially awkward, which eventually fades once you get through the stressful situation. They don't realize the body and mind get to replay feeling violated over and over again, or that your body gets flooded with stress hormones indefinitely each time this happens, because they can't see it with the naked eye.

And even things that may not trigger you anymore can have lasting consequences on mannerisms and behaviour if you have been conditioned by abuse. Often times people don't realize that is a consequence of a traumatic childhood or adult relationships.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Tesha, Gossamer, sserafim and 1 other person
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, thatā€™s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Others freeze up and go distant. Certain people may excuse themselves from the situation and run away, hiding away until they feel safe again.
I think this is happening to me right now. I've been in freeze mode after college after an unsuccessful test launch into the workforce/working world. I'm like hiding away from society and the world. How can I tell if I actually have PTSD or not?

• Hugs
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
I think this is happening to me right now. I've been in freeze mode after college after an unsuccessful test launch into the workforce/working world. I'm like hiding away from society and the world. How can I tell if I actually have PTSD or not?
I'd assume you'd have to go and see someone to get evaluated for it and then see someone else for a second or third opinion. Have you experieneced anything severely traumatic in the past, like abuse, SA, witnessed someone else being abused, witnessed someone dying, etc?

If so, do you think you have any of these symptoms?
Intrusive memories

Symptoms of intrusive memories may include:

• Recurrent, unwanted distressing memories of the traumatic event
  • Reliving the traumatic event as if it were happening again (flashbacks)
  • Upsetting dreams or nightmares about the traumatic event
  • Severe emotional distress or physical reactions to something that reminds you of the traumatic event
Avoidance

Symptoms of avoidance may include:

• Trying to avoid thinking or talking about the traumatic event
  • Avoiding places, activities or people that remind you of the traumatic event
Negative changes in thinking and mood

Symptoms of negative changes in thinking and mood may include:

• Negative thoughts about yourself, other people or the world
  • Hopelessness about the future
  • Memory problems, including not remembering important aspects of the traumatic event
  • Difficulty maintaining close relationships
  • Feeling detached from family and friends
  • Lack of interest in activities you once enjoyed
  • Difficulty experiencing positive emotions
  • Feeling emotionally numb
Changes in physical and emotional reactions

Symptoms of changes in physical and emotional reactions (also called arousal symptoms) may include:

• Being easily startled or frightened
  • Always being on guard for danger
  • Self-destructive behavior, such as drinking too much or driving too fast
  • Trouble sleeping
  • Trouble concentrating
  • Irritability, angry outbursts or aggressive behavior
  • Overwhelming guilt or shame

If so, then you should probably checked out for that. The article contains more information about the disorder, if you are interested.

• Informative
Reactions: sserafim, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and Gossamer
CuriosityAndCat

CuriosityAndCat

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.
Nov 2, 2023
People can't tell with me.

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Labels for different human mechanisms of anxiety - OCD, PTSD, GAD, ect.