Darkover

Darkover

Illuminated
Jul 29, 2021
"Take the good with the bad" is an idiom that means to accept both the positive and negative aspects of a situation, or to be willing to endure the disadvantages or unpleasant parts of something in order to enjoy the advantages or positive aspects. It encourages a person to maintain a balanced perspective and not focus solely on either the good or the bad aspects of a situation. In essence, it emphasizes the importance of accepting and dealing with both the favorable and unfavorable aspects of a situation or experience.

undoubtedly everyone is going to suffer at some point in their lives because everyone alive today will die

Reactions: sserafim, thebelljarrr, SMmetalhead36 and 1 other person
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Reminds me of two quotes:

"If you can meet success and failure and treat them both as impostors, then you are a balanced man, my son." – Rudyard Kipling.

The Chinese Farmer Story

Once upon a time there was a Chinese farmer whose horse ran away. That evening, all of his neighbors came around to commiserate. They said, "We are so sorry to hear your horse has run away. This is most unfortunate." The farmer said, "Maybe."
The next day the horse came back bringing seven wild horses with it, and in the evening everybody came back and said, "Oh, isn't that lucky. What a great turn of events. You now have eight horses!" The farmer again said, "Maybe."
The following day his son tried to break one of the horses, and while riding it, he was thrown and broke his leg. The neighbors then said, "Oh dear, that's too bad," and the farmer responded, "Maybe."
The next day the conscription officers came around to conscript people into the army, and they rejected his son because he had a broken leg. Again all the neighbors came around and said, "Isn't that great!" Again, he said, "Maybe."
Source: https://matterco.co/the-maybe-story/

It makes sense to a certain degree. It definitely helps to try and be resilient to misfortune in life- if you want to live that is. Still, doesn't it also mean that you stop yourself from ever getting that happy about things also? Because attachment leads to mourning if you then lose that thing? Not sure I want to go through life as a zombie or a leaf in the wind, just going with the flow the whole time, modifying all my emotions.

It's a very individual thing though. Some people would definitely say their life was worth it I'm sure. I doubt many here would though- or- we wouldn't be here!

Reactions: thebelljarrr, todiefor and Darkover
B

b1cycle

Jun 9, 2024
I like this from Nagel's essay on death:
"There are elements which, it added to one's experience, make life better; there are other elements which if added to one's experience, make life worse. But what remains when these are set aside is not merely neutral: it is emphatically positive... The additional positive weight is supplied by experience itself, rather than by any of its consequences."

I think nothing else considered it is good to be alive, but it is possible for the negative parts of life to outweigh both positive experiences and the baseline value of existence.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebelljarrr, todiefor and Darkover
S

SMmetalhead36

Ready to have my forever date with suicide
Oct 6, 2023
This is a excellent question! If the good were to last forever then maybe it would be, but, since it doesn't I don't think it will be. No matter how much fun or joy I have it ends and I have to wallow in misery and who wants a life like that?

Reactions: Darkover and myusername890
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Tortured by evil humans
Sep 24, 2020
There's nothing good about any of this, I honestly don't understand those who insist that life is so good. Human existence to me really was the most futile and torturous burden and I see it as an abomination to exist, I'd never wish to suffer in this hopeless existence. There's nothing good about suffering for decades in this existence where there is no limit as to how much agony one can feel just to die slowly and painfully from old age.

I could never see anything good in something so hellish as existence, all that I see as good is ceasing to exist, only non-existence is ideal to me as it's the permanent absence of all suffering and harm. I only find comfort in death, to me there's certainly no value in being tormented in this meaningless existence destined to suffer way more and decay in this reality where chance so senselessly determines everything, I find existing to be so incredibly undesirable, I wish I never existed more than anything.