L

lovingjoo

Apr 7, 2020
I don't trust korean media that much cause often it exaggerates too much. We call that 'gook-bbong', literally meaning 'patriotic Philopon'.
They always say kpop is on the run all over the world and most koreans take that with sincerity.
even youtube contents do the same thing cause it makes money. Koreans hate to be judged and criticized while they love to judge and be in a happy happy patriotic mood.

Tbh In korea, ppl who are into Japanese anime & manga are treated like social misfits.
but they don't ever know kpop is being treated the same way in some countries (or many more).
I heard this from one of my friends who live in America and I was shocked at first time.

so I want to ask, is kpop really famous (in good or bad way) in your country
welcome any kind of opinions, suggestions, comments.

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
Sayo

Sayo

Not 2B
Aug 22, 2018
I mean, it depends on the demographic. It's not mainstream famous, but my mother (in her 50s) is army and watches all the BTS fan stuff. She said she's heard their music in a supermarket before and we also heard something from their most recent album play off a boat when we were at a beach once. I would say most people in their 20s, at least ones who use any kind of social media, know someone who likes kpop and is at least vaguely aware of it. Years ago, I went to BIGBANG's MADE world tour and the attendance was 35k - mostly younger people. On a university campus in Sydney, you would run into tons of people who know kpop. In the rural town I grew up in, which skews towards 50+ people who don't use the internet much and disdain foreign cultures, you would not.

(Context: Australia.)

I think the comparison to anime/manga is interesting. In general, it's considered weird to love foreign media with some exceptions in the high arts (even people who like foreign films are considered weird or pretentious). Anime/manga is very mainstream now, but again, it's pretty much with the younger generations (although the older ones know some of them - eg DBZ/Pokémon - if they had millennial/zoomer children, or just are aware of 'Japanese cartoons'). Obviously generalising, some people are more savvy about media than their cohort. I think it's probably more acceptable to be seriously into kpop here than seriously into anime, as a person who has been both. It's the same thing either way though, kpop fans make friends with kpop friends and anime fans make friends with anime fans.

I do think the Western kpop fandom is generally judged for activity perceived as obsessive, unhealthy, overly consumerist, etc. on social media, just like anime fans are stereotyped as socially awkward, etc. Those stories tend to get attention; it's the same with fans of Western boy bands for instance (and the people that like kpop have quite a lot of overlap with those demographics). So some people who might never have heard a kpop song might know about kpop fans and judge them for that. Also, on Twitter, you can't avoid kpop fans because they tend to post a lot of fancams etc. under unrelated posts to rack up views/spam kpop stuff at people, so that's one way people become aware of them.

I don't think anyone negatively judges Korean people who like kpop any more than they would judge Western people who like Western pop (except for racist reasons, which I acknowledge are very likely in Western countries). The things kpop fans get judged for are for being obsessed with a foreign culture, and for being generally preoccupied with fan culture/obsessed with something to an extreme point, which will get you judged for nearly all hobbies except the most boring ones. Some people judge kpop for stupid reasons, but they tend to judge pop music the same way. My experience with pop music fans (since I like Western pop quite a lot as well as kpop) is that the ones who don't like kpop will typically cite that it is overly manufactured (which is also true of their favourite music) or that they can't connect to music in a language they don't understand very well (a little fairer).

On the whole, society is overly judgmental.

Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
Lots of my university students love Kpop, albeit sometimes with a sort of defiance as if they're aware it's not "cool". I'm in Central Europe.

Myforevercharlie

Myforevercharlie

Global Mod
Feb 13, 2020
I think it's a bit popular with teens. Not mainstream anyway. Im in Western Europe

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Not popular in Scandinavia. Or maybe I'm too old to know what teenagers listen to nowadays.

omoidarui

omoidarui

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
Apr 30, 2019
there was an iconic moment in last year's Britain's Got Talent that sums it up xd

Ant: Tune in to tomorrow night's results show where we'll be finding out which acts have made it through to the grand final!
Audience: wooooooo!!!!!!!!!
Dec: Also BTS will be performing!
Audience: ... ?
~credits roll

• Wow
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, mediocre and GoodPersonEffed
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
here in colombia k-pop is not popular or even mainstream. and since this is a latin american country you would think no one knows about it, but it's surprisingly common to meet people, specially teenagers or adults in their early 20's, who listen to it or are very into korean and other asian cultures.

the first time that i heard from it was in 2009 from a friend and it's only been growing since then. i've never been into it, but the people who like it REALLY like it, and they are a subculture in the major cities.

Last edited:
M

mediocre

trapped here
Nov 9, 2019
It is not mainstream here in Ireland. I guess you could say it's more of an online niche amongst teenagers. If you were to ask people on the street who BTS was they wouldn't know.
Also I feel k pop reminds me of the boy and girl bands of the 90s when I grew up. Like Nysnc, the spice girls...Just really generic music and bad dancing, lip singing... pop idols.. in the west that world is long over but I feel like in s Korea it's only gotten popular recently? just my opinion don't come for me :O

Last edited:
muffin222

muffin222

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2020
Yes, but I find it odd. Not because it's from Korea or anything like that...but because the quality of the music is really poor and repetitive. I feel like the whole thing has been done to death

• Love
Reactions: mediocre and disabledandhopeless
disabledandhopeless

disabledandhopeless

Enlightened
Mar 1, 2020
Famous for the kids/teenagers imo!

not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Archangel
Mar 23, 2018
I'm in the U.S. and it's popular here. Until the quarantine they were on the late shows a lot. (Girls were going CRAZY) :wink: BTS & Monsta X are the 2 I can remember at the moment. They seem like nice guys. I know there are Girl K-Pop groups as well. (I would have to google them cuz I can't think of any at the moment).
I don't mind it. I haven't purchased any but the songs I heard that were in English were good. (More into rock/metal though)

:ohhhh:
Famous for the kids/teenagers imo!

WHAT ??? The Boomer's aren't into K-Pop ??? :ohhhh::pfff::devil:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: disabledandhopeless
Vanity

Vanity

complete Imbecile
Dec 2, 2019
Sadly yes.....but thank god only with 14year olds

Reactions: disabledandhopeless