Iris Blue

Iris Blue

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-
Oct 23, 2023
I stopped taking my Seroquel cold turkey a bit more than a week ago (thankfully I don't think I've had many bad withdrawal symptoms) but sleep seems so difficult. I am taking melatonin and even tried some tea, I feel tired but I can't fall asleep. Besides some other reasons I'm lowkey hoping being off my meds will help push me to end it faster.

• Hugs
Reactions: kunikuzushi and davidtorez
cowboypants

cowboypants

from farm to fork
May 7, 2024
Seroquel has a sleeping pill effect so ur body is used to it. It's always better to slowly dose down psych meds down over months not sure how much u were taking

• Love
Reactions: Ash and Iris Blue
Soupster

Soupster

Chasing dreams, catching nightmares
Aug 14, 2024
While seroquel is not a sleep med, many people do get a sedative effect from it (I unfortunately am not one of them). If you did this is likely part of the reason you're struggling with insomnia. Your body became dependent on the medication to help you fall asleep and by a cold turkey withdrawal - it doesn't know what to do now. Over time, your body will likely adjust to life without the medication, but you may be in for a rough time until it does.

You mentioned melatonin and tea, which are definitely things that can help. Look into 'sleep hygiene' and see if making adjustments to your routines and sleeping environment might help. White noise is particularly helpful for me. Exercising and avoiding naps helps too.

I wish you luck with your sleep. Insomnia sucks!

• Love
Reactions: davidtorez and Iris Blue
Iris Blue

Iris Blue

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-
Oct 23, 2023
While seroquel is not a sleep med, many people do get a sedative effect from it (I unfortunately am not one of them). If you did this is likely part of the reason you're struggling with insomnia. Your body became dependent on the medication to help you fall asleep and by a cold turkey withdrawal - it doesn't know what to do now. Over time, your body will likely adjust to life without the medication, but you may be in for a rough time until it does.

You mentioned melatonin and tea, which are definitely things that can help. Look into 'sleep hygiene' and see if making adjustments to your routines and sleeping environment might help. White noise is particularly helpful for me. Exercising and avoiding naps helps too.

I wish you luck with your sleep. Insomnia sucks!
Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply, I really appreciate it ♥️ I would always have to take the seroquel right before bed because it would knock me out fast haha, but you make a very good point with the body dependency input. It definitely is something I should keep in mind.
Seroquel has a sleeping pill effect so ur body is used to it. It's always better to slowly dose down psych meds down over months not sure how much u were taking
I was currently taking 150 mg and my psychiatrist was starting to slowly bring me down to 125 mg, I do understand it isn't the smartest move but hopefully it won't last long thank you for your reply :)

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Soupster
kunikuzushi

kunikuzushi

sause
Jan 24, 2023
Insomnia is so difficult. I think the best thing to remember is that resting without falling asleep is still helpful for your body. But I'm sorry and I really hope you can adjust soon and fall asleep easier

• Love
Reactions: Iris Blue
Iris Blue

Iris Blue

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-
Oct 23, 2023
Insomnia is so difficult. I think the best thing to remember is that resting without falling asleep is still helpful for your body. But I'm sorry and I really hope you can adjust soon and fall asleep easier
Thank you, I will definitely keep that in mind :)

• Hugs
Reactions: kunikuzushi
mrpeter

mrpeter

Jun 11, 2024
I've had insomnia for over 5 years, I'm tired like the whole day.

• Hugs
Reactions: Iris Blue