Y

You

Nov 29, 2019
Im tired of feeling like my smartphone is just mining as much fucking personal data as it can. Is there a way to use a smartphone without so much bullshit from companies or i jut have to selly soul. If anyone could recommend me some sites about this kind of topic or wishes to discuss it here. Pls do, i would like to learn more about the internet and online security.

J

JustLosingMyself

Mage
Sep 4, 2018
Privacy died with the smartphone...
You can switch off location services and install a VPN.

N

netrezven

Mage
Dec 13, 2018
You can't have privacy with anything that has a connection to the internet, not only smartphones.

HelensNepenthe

HelensNepenthe

Thoughtful poster
Jan 17, 2019
I'll set a reminder to do an extensive write-up in a few hours about this topic. One issue I'd like to address is the use cases of a VPN. These services do not offer any anonymity or privacy to them. Even if you look up marketing from M***vad and how they offer cash options, these are still not anywhere near anonymous or private. VPNs are glorified proxies and these companies who are running them are reselling bandwidth to you.
VPNs are garbage by design. There are few cases where a VPN solution would work (and even enterprise VPNs have their solutions too), but those are limited. If you're on a hostile network at a Starbucks or want to get around geo-region locks. There is little to nothing that is "encrypted" about VPN. They simply don't magically out of thin air encrypt data. VPNs are glorified proxies. All VPN provides are setting up OpenVPN clients and reselling bandwidth at huge markups for people looking for "privacy" or "anonymity". Both which are two different and are not interchangeable.

Generally speaking, your chances that your VPN is a honeypot is a lot more likely, especially when you're wanting "privacy". Logless VPNs? Aren't those an issue if you ever go to customer support? Have you seen a public security audit on the company to verify the integrity that the company you bought your VPN is logless? Probably not.

While a little bit more technical, purchasing a VPS and using this is a way better solution. Of course assessing your threat levels is something to consider. It's unlikely you're a target, anyway. You wouldn't be using a public forum if you were concerned of being on some sort of list.

You might want to roll your own solution and use Algo or Streisand. Please, I encourage you to read a little bit more about infosec and give criticism to when you hear claims of "logless VPNs" or a "privacy solution". I'd even encourage looking at security audits and even fact-checking said company doing the audit.

Last edited:
a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
Mh there are things you can do but the technology itself is structured in a way to observe you. Just think about it, with a smartphone, a smart TV, or still worse one of these Amazon things you live with the consant possibility looming that someone at this very moment might be watching you, listening to you or whatever.

I would say today at least it is still possible to disconnect for most people. Just get rid of your (smart) TV, get a (real) dumbphone or landline and only access the internet from a computer at your home without microphones or a webcam. Also don't use smart watches, smart alarms, smart fridges and whatever smart things they are selling these days. Oh also don't pay with your credit card, only pay with cash, don't use online banking, don't buy online in general.

But still, if you live in London for example (CCTV) or it you're with friends who all have their smartphones with them then you're always in the 'sphere of surveillance'.

Reactions: Skathon