venom.52

venom.52

Dec 20, 2018
I was interested in Nitrogen gas , but all the flowmeter regulators (the vertical tube ones with floating ball inside) are designed for argon, some people say you can use Argon ones with N2 gas at 15LPM because they have the same fitting (CGA-580) which is partly true, My question is Argon's molecular mass is 40 which is heavier than nitrogen at 14, So the 15LPM reading will obviously be off/wrong. What is the correction factor? Also, wouldn't it be easier to just use argon gas with the argon regulator to avoid all the correction factor math headaches? And yeah, I feel the max dog brewing regulator at $400 is a joke and a huge rip off . I can't afford it and not even worth it IMO at that price point.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and FTL.Wanderer
GeorgeJL

GeorgeJL

Enlightened
Mar 7, 2019
I was interested in Nitrogen gas , but all the flowmeter regulators (the vertical tube ones with floating ball inside) are designed for argon, some people say you can use Argon ones with N2 gas at 15LPM because they have the same fitting (CGA-580) which is partly true, My question is Argon's molecular mass is 40 which is heavier than nitrogen at 14, So the 15LPM reading will obviously be off/wrong. What is the correction factor? Also, wouldn't it be easier to just use argon gas with the argon regulator to avoid all the correction factor math headaches? And yeah, I feel the max dog brewing regulator at $400 is a joke and a huge rip off . I can't afford it and not even worth it IMO at that price point.
IDK man just buy a larger tank of argon, just in case. It could be that 15LPM is 15LPM whether it's argon or nitrogen, because liters is a measure of volume not weight. So it doesn't matter if one gas is heavier than the other because your measuring volume not weight, IDK mabe I am way off, LOL.

Check out the helium section here.
Suicide wiki

FTL.Wanderer

FTL.Wanderer

Enlightened
May 31, 2018

Thanks for posting this. Another reason some (many?) of us who like the idea of inert gas are dreaming about more centers adopting the Sarco Capsule...

Reactions: venom.52 and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
venom.52

venom.52

Dec 20, 2018
IDK man just buy a larger tank of argon, just in case. It could be that 15LPM is 15LPM whether it's argon or nitrogen, because liters is a measure of volume not weight. So it doesn't matter if one gas is heavier than the other because your measuring volume not weight, IDK mabe I am way off, LOL.

Check out the helium section here.
Suicide wiki
Thanks for the response, I'll check out the resource. You're right when you say Litres is a measure of volume and not weight,but where you're wrong is volume is dependent on mass/density. Let me explain. Imagine the flowmeter with floating ball filled completely with water and no gas is let in, what happens? The ball floats up beacause the desnity of water is higher than that of the ball, similarly a dense gas like Argon will push the ball higher than a lighter gas like nitrogen , Therefore 15 LPM of Argon caliberated is not the same as 15 LPM of Nitrogen. To remedy this, the concept of correction/conversion factors come in to play. Although you're right in suggesting to buy a bigger tank, the issue is that exact flow rate plays a crucial role in this process of eliminating CO2 to ensure a peaceful CTB.

Last edited:
GeorgeJL

GeorgeJL

Enlightened
Mar 7, 2019
Thanks for the response, I'll check out the resource. You're right when you say Litres is a measure of volume and not weight,but where you're wrong is volume is dependent on mass/density. Let me explain. Imagine the flowmeter with floating ball filled completely with water and no gas is let in, what happens? The ball floats up beacause the desnity of water is higher than that of the ball, similarly a dense gas like Argon will push the ball higher than a lighter gas like nitrogen , Therefore 15 LPM of Argon caliberated is not the same as 15 LPM of Nitrogen. To remedy this, the concept of correction/conversion factors come in to play. Although you're right in suggesting to buy a bigger tank, the issue is that exact flow rate plays a crucial role in this process of eliminating CO2 to ensure a peaceful CTB.
Can't you just buy a regular size nitrogen tank, nitrogen flow meter, nitrogen house, nitrogen everything? It seems that your trying to reinvent the wheel with argon. LOL

venom.52

venom.52

Dec 20, 2018
Thanks for posting this. Another reason some (many?) of us who like the idea of inert gas are dreaming about more centers adopting the Sarco Capsule...
Yes,that should be available in the near future hopefully..
Can't you just buy a regular size nitrogen tank, nitrogen flow meter, nitrogen house, nitrogen everything? It seems that your trying to reinvent the wheel with argon. LOL
Umm Let me see,I can buy a Nitrogen Tank and a Nitrogen Hose...unfortunately I can't buy a Nitrogen flow meter or a nitrogen House (although that'd be cool) ,and my question was about how I can't find a Nitrogen Flowmeter regulator and How do i use a Ar one with Nitrogen instead which I assume you didn't understand again just like the elementary Volume/desnity concepts, and that is why I had to reinvent the Argon wheel to you. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: savagek