CantGoOn

CantGoOn

Jun 7, 2018
As soon as I close the book I'm forgetting everything I just studied, I can't be expected to do anything because my memory is non existent. My focus is terrible, I can't learn while I'm only vaguely paying attention. I'm always drifting off when someone speaking to me, my mind goes completely blank and have no clue what the other person is saying. Years of drug abuse and depression have taken my focus and memory away.

A week ago I studied road signs, now I can't tell you one thing I remember.

Can't get a job without licence, can't be expected to learn, working with what's left of my brain. I'm fucking 24, and accomplished nothing.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, worldexploder, Deutsch and 1 other person
satou

satou

not yet
Sep 3, 2018
Not sure if you want actual advice, if not, just ignore this.

Try a learning app. Like anki: https://apps.ankiweb.net
It will require you to invest time. But learning from a book isn't really all that effective, because your brain has no real desire to remember on first exposure unless it has a good reason to in form of emotion (happiness/fear etc).

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deutsch, Nofaith and 1 other person
Desperate_Soul

Desperate_Soul

I'll See You Guys On The Other Side Of The Rainbow
Aug 26, 2018
My focus is pretty bad too. I have to study the same things multiple times.
You can also check out Quizlet.com and see if someone has created a stack of study cards for you that relates to what you're trying to learn. You can study it like a normal flashcard, or you can play games or have it in 'test' mode to quiz yourself. :)

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deutsch, lv-gras and 2 others
CantGoOn

CantGoOn

Jun 7, 2018
Not sure if you want actual advice, if not, just ignore this.

Try a learning app. Like anki: https://apps.ankiweb.net
It will require you to invest time. But learning from a book isn't really all that effective, because your brain has no real desire to remember on first exposure unless it has a good reason to in form of emotion (happiness/fear etc).

Thanks I'll download this or look Into it.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and lv-gras
CantGoOn

CantGoOn

Jun 7, 2018
My focus is pretty bad too. I have to study the same things multiple times.
You can also check out Quizlet.com and see if someone has created a stack of study cards for you that relates to what you're trying to learn. You can study it like a normal flashcard, or you can play games or have it in 'test' mode to quiz yourself. :)

They've got fake drivers tests online also, which would be useful to the average persons but I can't remember a thing. It's awful.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deutsch, lv-gras and 2 others
Q

QueenEtna

Gone
Jul 29, 2018
For Australians we can go onto the nrma site and do the tests for practice on there, that's how I learned. Maybe what ever country you're in has something similar on their website?

Desperate_Soul

Desperate_Soul

Aug 26, 2018
They've got fake drivers tests online also, which would be useful to the average persons but I can't remember a thing. It's awful.

Have you tried study buddies, highlighting, writing out notes? This is a few things I've done to help study. Sometimes they help, sometimes they don't.

Online practice tests help... if you do it over and over again. Lol. Just fix and understand why you got a question wrong.

CantGoOn

CantGoOn

Jun 7, 2018
Have you tried study buddies, highlighting, writing out notes? This is a few things I've done to help study. Sometimes they help, sometimes they don't.

Online practice tests help... if you do it over and over again. Lol. Just fix and understand why you got a question wrong.

Yeah except you don't know exactly what's going to be on tests so could be studying the wrong things.

The good news, perhaps, is that the test is multiple choice and you have to get at least 80% correct here.
It's just I don't think I can get that done. I'll probably take the test 30-50x and even then may not succeed.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lv-gras, Nofaith and 1 other person
Desperate_Soul

Desperate_Soul

Aug 26, 2018
Yeah except you don't know exactly what's going to be on tests so could be studying the wrong things.

The good news, perhaps, is that the test is multiple choice and you have to get at least 80% correct here.
It's just I don't think I can get that done. I'll probably take the test 30-50x and even then may not succeed.

Man, I'm having flashbacks of taking tests that I had no clue what I was doing despite having studied my ass off. My mind seriously blanks out during tests. I just picked the prettiest answer choice, or did eenie meenie, or making sure that I didn't have multiples C's in a row! I felt pretty proud when I ended up getting a D on the test. It's not passing, but meh. There were always retakes!

I believe in you though. I truly believe out of those 30-50 times, you will succeed. If not, feel free to come back and prove me wrong once you've failed 50 times. :)

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lv-gras and Nofaith
Pointlessabyss

Pointlessabyss

Impulse will takeover one day...
Sep 17, 2018
This may not be constructive but I've winged most of my life.. I normally study 2-3 hrs before an exam as when the pressure is on and I've just read it I tend to take a lot more in than weeks in advance...

I've managed to pass most things somehow and always say I ll revise next time but never do

N

Nofaith

Sep 16, 2018
This may not be constructive but I've winged most of my life.. I normally study 2-3 hrs before an exam as when the pressure is on and I've just read it I tend to take a lot more in than weeks in advance...

I've managed to pass most things somehow and always say I ll revise next time but never do
I wish I had that ability.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Pointlessabyss
Pointlessabyss

Pointlessabyss

Sep 17, 2018
I wish I had that ability.
Not sure how it's happened! I've just somehow managed to float through life.. even things I've come out of and though fuck I've done shit. It comes back okay.

N

Nofaith

Sep 16, 2018
Not sure how it's happened! I've just somehow managed to float through life.. even things I've come out of and though fuck I've done shit. It comes back okay.
Stop boasting lol.

Pointlessabyss

Pointlessabyss

Sep 17, 2018
Haha sorry didn't mean to!

It contributes to my factors though, so many people on here have genuine problems / shit things happened to them so I can understand and relate and genuinely feel for them and their situation.

where as me I feel bad for feeling the way I do. But hey ho the mind is a dark place!
I ll stop talking now, alcohol makes me into a rambling idiot :smiling:

Reactions: Desperate_Soul
Temporarilyabsurd

Temporarilyabsurd

NOISE:signal
Apr 27, 2018
Don't underestimate some emotional interference here ...

Feeling shitty , stressed , tense etc ...

Maybe address this possible issue if it 'feels' like it ...

Anxiety attacks n such .

I'm projecting , 'cos that was my exam barrier problem .

Deep breathing and 'mindfullness' ( vomiting emoji /s )

I am calm i am calm i am calm i am calm

good luck .

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Desperate_Soul

Desperate_Soul

Aug 26, 2018
Don't underestimate some emotional interference here ...

Feeling shitty , stressed , tense etc ...

Maybe address this possible issue if it 'feels' like it ...

Anxiety attacks n such .

I'm projecting , 'cos that was my exam barrier problem .

Deep breathing and 'mindfullness' ( vomiting emoji /s )

I am calm i am calm i am calm i am calm

good luck .

Me - "I'm gonna fail" "I'm totally fucked" "I don't remember studying this" "I shouldn't have procrastinated studying"

The things that go through my mind when I'm taking a test and more... lol

I should probably mention that I was a straight A student.

Temporarilyabsurd

Temporarilyabsurd

Apr 27, 2018
I should probably mention that I was a straight A student.

I'm not seeing the three +++ 's here 'my dude' .... you're a disgrace .

editing to add , too late , a big giant : /s

Last edited:
Desperate_Soul

Desperate_Soul

Aug 26, 2018
Temporarilyabsurd

Temporarilyabsurd

Apr 27, 2018
That's why I'm here on sanctioned suicide.

Jesus dude.

I was seriously joking .

Sorry for being a prick .... I really didn't mean it FYI , ( I'm in my fifties , but I think I got the occasional A for some flakey shit but flunked anything serious ... no maths or science for me , fuck.)

again , sorry .

edit :
I went back and added an /s .

I'm letting off steam on here today .... may bad .

Desperate_Soul

Desperate_Soul

Aug 26, 2018
Wa... was I not joking too... lol. I thought I was joking. Maybe I was the only one who laughed.

idk what you're apologizing for cause you don't owe me one

Temporarilyabsurd

Temporarilyabsurd

Apr 27, 2018
Wa... was I not joking too... lol. I thought I was joking. Maybe I was the only one who laughed.

idk what you're apologizing for cause you don't owe me one

Caffeine fueled paranoid fear of offending people ...

I'm so glad you were joking .

Phewwwwww.

worldexploder

worldexploder

Visionary
Sep 19, 2018
I got my learners permit 2 years ago. But I had the same focus problems driving. I was just too anxious. Then the permit expired before I even took my drivers test.

Screwed up thing was, at the DMV, they took my photo ID and replaced it with the learners permit. That place was packed and I had a lot of anxiety there. When the LP expired, I couldn't use it to buy beer so had to get a new photo ID. It's really stupid.

T

Taylored

I've figured it out
Sep 20, 2018
I'm still working on my license I failed because of an anxiety attack from mock questions I know how you feel I get harassed by family daily on why I am failing such a simple thing as parking a car.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and CantGoOn
satou

satou

not yet
Sep 3, 2018
I got my drivers license. I don't enjoy driving, it is exhausting. I haven't driven a car in years, don't own one either because I have no money. I'll just take the train instead.

lost illusions

lost illusions

bye
Sep 12, 2018
As soon as I close the book I'm forgetting everything I just studied, I can't be expected to do anything because my memory is non existent. My focus is terrible, I can't learn while I'm only vaguely paying attention. I'm always drifting off when someone speaking to me, my mind goes completely blank and have no clue what the other person is saying. Years of drug abuse and depression have taken my focus and memory away.

A week ago I studied road signs, now I can't tell you one thing I remember.

Can't get a job without licence, can't be expected to learn, working with what's left of my brain. I'm fucking 24, and accomplished nothing.
Have someone read the book to you, worked for me