B

Brayu

Student
Sep 14, 2021
No need for CTB, regardless of age... but in practice, it's not like that, right?

Reactions: Flippy and ContinuousJump
S

suisuiforum

Experienced
Jul 4, 2021
This is one reason out of many why I don't understand the pro-lifers who deny us the right to euthanasia. We're all going to die anyway, so why are they prolonging the inevitable because of a fallacious appeal to nature?

• Hugs
Reactions: one.way.out, BottomlessPit, mentalhealthfighter and 5 others
ClownMe

ClownMe

Don't Cry for Me, I'm Already Dead
Apr 7, 2021
This is one reason out of many why I don't understand the pro-lifers who deny us the right to euthanasia. We're all going to die anyway, so why are they prolonging the inevitable because of a fallacious appeal to nature?
It's so annoying! I think it's because most of them haven't experienced what it is like to be as depressed as we are and a lot of them are most likely religious nuts as well.

Reactions: saddestbunny, mentalhealthfighter, tabletop and 2 others
ContinuousJump

ContinuousJump

'Tis a consummation devoutly to be wish'd.
Jul 6, 2021
why are they prolonging the inevitable because of a fallacious appeal to nature?
  1. It's a belief that our lives are not our own, they're "god's will". Since "life is a gift" (of god), we'd be offending "him" by ending it by our choice. Of course, if god doesn't exist (and there's no good evidence that he does) this belief is evil.
  2. It's human selfishness. You can't die because your death would hurt me. My need for you to continue overrides your need for your pain to end.
  3. It's a philosophical conflict. If we allowed people to easily commit suicide, and/or if we admitted that not all suicides are irrational, what does that imply about the goodness of life? Most people rely on the presumption that life is a good thing, and they are completely unwilling to even consider that that presumption could be false.

• Love
Reactions: saddestbunny, one.way.out, WaaaghEnjoyer and 7 others
B

Brayu

Student
Sep 14, 2021
  1. It's a belief that our lives are not our own, they're "god's will". Since "life is a gift" (of god), we'd be offending "him" by ending it by our choice. Of course, if god doesn't exist (and there's no good evidence that he does) this belief is evil.
  2. It's human selfishness. You can't die because your death would hurt me. My need for you to continue overrides your need for your pain to end.
  3. It's a philosophical conflict. If we allowed people to easily commit suicide, and/or if we admitted that not all suicides are irrational, what does that imply about the goodness of life? Most people rely on the presumption that life is a good thing, and they are completely unwilling to even consider that that presumption could be false.
This selfishness would make sense if these people only cared while people are...

Reactions: mentalhealthfighter and ContinuousJump
S

suisuiforum

Experienced
Jul 4, 2021
Yeah, exactly. I just can't seem to find any logical argument against suicide, other than the fact that it might be painful and making an attempt might render you barely alive and unable to try again. That's not exactly an argument against euthanasia though.

Reactions: demuic and ContinuousJump
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Of course any of us could die at any time. We are all powerless in comparison to death. However in my case, there could be potentially many decades left and the life expectancy is too long. I cannot wait around for death to come on its own. The thing I want the most is to fall asleep and never wake up, but I think only really old people die that way.

Reactions: ContinuousJump and mentalhealthfighter
Y

YourNeighbor

Arcanist
Jul 22, 2021
Can't speak for the "pro-lifers who deny...the right to euthanasia," but as a purely mathematical question, the vast majority of people who try suicide fail and ultimately change their minds about it. It probably makes sense that society doesn't facilitate an easy death for anyone who wants to go on a whim.

Reactions: saddestbunny and mentalhealthfighter
S

suisuiforum

Experienced
Jul 4, 2021
Can't speak for the "pro-lifers who deny...the right to euthanasia," but as a purely mathematical question, the vast majority of people who try suicide fail and ultimately change their minds about it. It probably makes sense that society doesn't facilitate an easy death for anyone who wants to go on a whim.

What about the many, many people who succeed in suicide but never had the chance to explain how it was the right decision for them?
Survivorship bias

I do agree that there should be some type of vetting process to prevent impulsivity in making such a decision to end one's life though.

• Love
Reactions: saddestbunny, one.way.out, pthnrdnojvsc and 1 other person
Flippy

Flippy

Felis Sapien
Jan 5, 2020
This is the paradox I find myself in. I can rationalise things in terms of the possibility that I could get hit by a bus tomorrow and that might be that. But I likely wouldn't see it coming I suppose. So I don't expect to go through the process of ceasing to breathe so therefore I don't fear it.

The last couple of days I've felt really not well physically. I posted about it and it could be a number of things, one of which, had occurred to me and others agreed it could be caused by my meds. I had this none too pleasant feeling of impeding doom last night. I took my meds and they made me feel probably 10 times worse but for a change slightly sedated me.

I must have started to fall into an uneasy sleep and, as happens with my meds, my breathing seems to get shallow. My heart had been beating like a jackhammer, probably over 150bpm and since I've had evidence of a heart attack on my last few ECGs this concerned me as it only happens when my meds kick in. I suddenly snapped back awake when I could see a "psychedelic" vision of the last thing I looked at. It "felt" like I was dying. I gasped for air and it felt quite scary.

This is kinda what worries me, as that psychedelic image kept playing through of the image of a TV and books and various nerdy things. Sort of in high contrast with rainbow fringing and "digital noise". I kept thinking "what if that's how it feels?" and I had this melancholy feeling of never reading those books again and how all this "brickabrack" would connote "me" to the people I care about.

That's I suppose, how SI affects me. I feel incredibly sad about casting a shadow once I'm no longer around and how this will affect the people I care about. They will probably wish I could be around to make those things "live" again.

But on my side of things it just feels like things will always be on a downward trend. Even when I have a few weeks feeling a bit more like my old self, I end up feeling like I just hit a brick wall at 120mph. It crushes all the hope and life out of me. I've tried so hard but I'm not a stunt man. There's only so many times you can "slam into a wall" before you can't take it any more.

So it's weird that when I feel like "it's time" or I get the feeling I could "slip away" by chance. All the "rose tintedness" of life and people and things seems to spring from nowhere.

I fucking hate my brain :-(

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: ContinuousJump and Brayu