Tintypographer

Tintypographer

I am done as of 4-21-2023. Somewhere I am no more
Apr 29, 2020
Hello SS members who are hurting and have found your way here.

A pair of doctors in the UK is conducting a survey that is quite detailed and non confrontational (it is clinical In nature and not trying to slant toward any specific viewpoint or philosophy). The survey is completely anonymous although they are trying to limit it to the UK (I tested this limit and they say they are limiting it to the UK).

I am asking the members and visitors here to log in and put your feelings, thoughts, emotions and experiences into this. This kind of data helps public health and doctors underatsnd how treatment, hotlines, suicide information and the communities like sanctioned suicide actually impact the outcomes and decisions people make.

The details below come from the survey site.

It does ask if you are in the UK but I tested and there is no check which is a bit dishonest but I feel if we can get thousands of people to complete this detailed survey about why they are online discussing suicide then we will have a great deal more understanding of the difficult feelings, emotions, and lack of understanding there is for people who feel so alone with this affliction.

Please log in and input honest data about how you look up information and interact with others online regarding suicide. It is completely anonymous and the two doctors putting it together have many publications regarding public health and mental health.

https://mdxl.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cNFvDsPuHl6rJDU

Details from the Middlesex university site:

What is the purpose of the study?

The aim of this study is to explore the nature of self-harm and suicide content online, and to help us understand how, why and when this is experienced as helpful, validating or potentially upsetting by different users. This knowledge will inform discussions and policy decisions on how to make the Internet a safer and more inclusive place.

As part of the research we would like to hear the stories and experiences of a range of people living in the UK, including those who have experienced self-harm or suicidal feelings; those who have supported someone who was feeling suicidal; and those who have no personal experience of suicide or self-harm but have nonetheless seen, posted or engaged with self-harm or suicide related content online at some point (e.g. by stumbling across, viewing or sharing online news about suicide or self-harm, lived experience accounts of self-harm, suicide or suicide bereavement, or stories of hope and recovery).

What will happen if I take part?

This study is being conducted online, anonymously. If you do decide to take part, you will be asked some questions about your socio-demographic background and general health, your experiences (if any) of self-harm and suicidal behaviour, as well as your views and experiences of online suicide and self-harm content, including what you would like to see more and less of online. Completing the questionnaire should take around 10-20 minutes, depending on the experiences you might be sharing, and you could skip any questions that you would prefer not to answer.

Previous research suggests that most people have no difficulty answering these types of questions, and are often pleased to be able to share their experiences. However, it is possible that some questions could be difficult or potentially distressing for you, in which case we would not want you to answer them. Before deciding to take part in this study, please consider carefully if you might find it distressing to reflect on your experiences and the content that you have seen, posted or engaged with online. Given the sensitive nature of the study, we are only inviting people over the age of 16 years to participate, and would advise against taking part in the research if you are currently struggling with thoughts of self-harm or suicide, or have recently attempted suicide (for example in the past month).

Attachments

• 1640013579943.gif
    1640013579943.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 0
  • 1640013580107.gif
    1640013580107.gif
  • 1640013580275.gif
    1640013580275.gif
  • 1640013580437.gif
    1640013580437.gif
Reactions: it's_all_a_game and GentleJerk
Tintypographer

Tintypographer

Apr 29, 2020
Sorry, I actually think the gifs are leftover from my post yesterday (they were grabbed from the bottom images of things in this forum like "attach files" or "post reply"

rationaltake

rationaltake

I'm rocking it - in another universe
Sep 28, 2021
I'm naturally suspicious so wouldn't trust this.

Reactions: wanttogetonthebus
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I'm naturally suspicious so wouldn't trust this.
That apllies also to me. Tbh I have read many scientists use suicide forums/mental health forums for their studies. Obviously without a permission. I am sure they also do it with this forum. (Maybe I am too paranoid) Though I already read that some forums forbid explicitly to scientists not to do studies in the forum

Reactions: rationaltake
Tintypographer

Tintypographer

Apr 29, 2020
I urge you to try it by walking through it with a VPN and a tor browser if you're inclined. It is mostly ranking from high to low thoughts and feelings.

You never input a name or details.

Just to see the questions that are in it.

Suspicion is always warranted. I feel this survey is pretty balanced. They're also not mining the sites themselves in it.

But if you get a chance, review the questions under a pseudo alias through some anonymizing solutions and you can make a level of suspicion gauge yourself.

J

rationaltake

rationaltake

I'm rocking it - in another universe
Sep 28, 2021
I urge you to try it by walking through it with a VPN and a tor browser if you're inclined. It is mostly ranking from high to low thoughts and feelings.

You never input a name or details.

Just to see the questions that are in it.

Suspicion is always warranted. I feel this survey is pretty balanced. They're also not mining the sites themselves in it.

But if you get a chance, review the questions under a pseudo alias through some anonymizing solutions and you can make a level of suspicion gauge yourself.

J
Thanks but I think I'll give it a miss.

Tomoko

Tomoko

Unpopular
Aug 12, 2021
I was honestly going to say fuck it and give real answers, but it kicked me out for not being in the UK, lol.

Tintypographer

Tintypographer

Apr 29, 2020
I just said I was in the UK and answered

Tintypographer

Tintypographer

Apr 29, 2020
Nothing at all. I read about it being heavily promoted on the fix the 26 tweets and I'm trying to counter ever piece of negative sound byte and shock tweet with data about the increasing numbers in suicide that are clearly an epidemic and that the current system of mental health care and call lines are not slowing the increases in suicides. When I read the post about the survey I wanted to make sure that some people who come here because this place is a refuge take the survey and that it reflects that this is not a recruiting death cult.

That was what I wanted to show in the data. Not just a large group of upset family members angry at this site.

• Informative
Reactions: sadeyesWA and NasiGoreng