nightlygem

nightlygem

La Joya
Sep 27, 2023
My partner has two brothers, both older. One brother he distastes, while the other he admires. He is on the path to become just like him one day. I will name this brother, "Kay"

Today Kay was on his way to work. He drove his motorcycle.
He crashed, hitting the back of a semi-truck. My partner will not tell me the exact details, as it's currently very hard for them right now, to make things worse the hospital has horrific cell-phone service. But from what I could understand, almost all bones in his body are broken, including a severed spinal cord. Kay is still alive, although his state of mind and the pain that he is in is unimaginable.

My partner is devastated. He loves their brother with all their heart. They aspire to be just like Kay, even going as far as perusing the same career as him. My partner is in complete shock, and from the very brief phone call we had, I could tell they had been crying.

I need some advice on this, or any sort of help at all.
We're currently in a long-distance relationship, and I have unfortunately no way of flying over to them. (I cannot elaborate on my situation.) So, all I can do is offer my comfort and love, thousands of miles away. My partner does not want to talk to me, or about the situation at all. They're really worried about Kay. Rightfully so. And, I can't really believe I'm saying this as I'm not an empathetic person by any means, but I start wanting to cry whenever I think about Kay or my partner. Me and my partner are ways away from marriage, but I already see their family as my family. In my eyes, Kay is already my brother-in-law.

I feel kind of shitty saying that, or even thinking that. I shouldn't really feel this strongly about Kay. I've only talked to him a few times, and I've only dated my partner for a year and a half. He shouldn't mean that much to me, but it really feels like he does.

Anyway, all I can do is wait patiently until my partner is ready to talk about things. If Kay is to live, he will be paralyzed and probably have to live with his family. He works as a mechanic for races (nascar stuff) but… with a severed spinal cord that won't be possible anymore. Regardless, I hope and pray for his recovery. I know how dark my partner's head can get, and as hypocritical as it sounds, I don't ever want them to be as suicidal as I am.

Will be updating this thread as soon as I can. I ask for advice or any suggestions.

• Hugs
Reactions: lemonbunny and CC123