neurotic

neurotic

𝐈 𝐭𝐑𝐒𝐧𝐀 𝐈'𝐦 𝐒𝐧 π₯𝐨𝐯𝐞 /// πŸ’œπŸ’šπŸ’™
May 24, 2023
I absolutely need friends, but whenever I'm in public or talk to anyone I don't already know I'm an absolute nervous wreck. Whenever I try to make friends online, they usually stop talking to me over a period of time or have no interest in back and forth conversation (leading to a one-sided questionnaire until I stop asking questions). I'm literally shaking some times talking/texting anyone online, in person, or over a phone. Especially strangers or anyone of the opposite sex. I would kill to have a small group of friends (let alone one person) to play games with and talk with like I used to. Maybe people confuse my lack of some areas of conversation as disinterest? I used to make so many friends so easily, but as time passes I get more shy.

It's so irritating, I feel like I don't belong anywhere. Is there any advice to where I can find shy people like me or people who are more open to someone like me?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: LoiteringClouds, enough of this, Ferret77 and 15 others
RottingCherry

RottingCherry

Jun 11, 2023
Wanna be friends?

• Love
Reactions: LoiteringClouds, UseItOrLoseIt, internetgirl and 3 others
jaxxon_sunn

jaxxon_sunn

Un jour je serai de retour près de toi
May 10, 2023
I am the same. Online friends lose interest in me and I can't find anyone in person because of my extreme social anxiety.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: LoiteringClouds, UseItOrLoseIt, Rocinante and 1 other person
N

ngossia

Jan 4, 2023
over the internet playing games with someone is a very bonding experience and funtime in general but without a good pc im hopeless and regarding the convos getting one sided i feel you. i am at a class in uni where people are tight knit and so casual in making convos that it physically hurts to see them. My advice is little weird but you should try to find any broke small twitch streamers (average 30-40 viewership) preferably on welfare who has a small community. I found one where it is nice to just shitpost, talk to them and have a nice time. It would have been better if i could play with them but anyways. Sorry if im being inappropriate with such advice. Also hmu if you wanna talk but i dont know if i have anything to offer :)

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: LoiteringClouds, Rocinante, neurotic and 1 other person
neurotic

neurotic

𝐈 𝐭𝐑𝐒𝐧𝐀 𝐈'𝐦 𝐒𝐧 π₯𝐨𝐯𝐞 /// πŸ’œπŸ’šπŸ’™
May 24, 2023
Wanna be friends?
Yes! Send me a private message! I can't send you one :c
I am the same. Online friends lose interest in me and I can't find anyone in person because of my extreme social anxiety.
I know I'm sorry, it's such a terrible feeling. I wish making friends wasn't so complicated. People can be so inconsistent.
over the internet playing games with someone is a very bonding experience and funtime in general but without a good pc im hopeless and regarding the convos getting one sided i feel you. i am at a class in uni where people are tight knit and so casual in making convos that it physically hurts to see them. My advice is little weird but you should try to find any broke small twitch streamers (average 30-40 viewership) preferably on welfare who has a small community. I found one where it is nice to just shitpost, talk to them and have a nice time. It would have been better if i could play with them but anyways. Sorry if im being inappropriate with such advice.
I've never heard advice like this before lol. I'll definitely try it, but I can already tell the live reaction is going to make me so nervous!!

• Love
Reactions: Rocinante
RottingCherry

RottingCherry

Jun 11, 2023
Yes! Send me a private message! I can't send you one :c

I know I'm sorry, it's such a terrible feeling. I wish making friends wasn't so complicated. People can be so inconsistent.

I've never heard advice like this before lol. I'll definitely try it, but I can already tell the live reaction is going to make me so nervous

Ill be honest, i have no clue how to send a private message im new to this forum;-;

• Love
T

Tiny Little Tree

-
Jan 25, 2021
I used to be able to talk to anybody anywhere about almost anything. A lot happened since then and now I'm kinda the same. Talking to people, especially new people I can completely freeze up, even online I can get light headed.

In the past year I met a new friend playing a game, just started by exchanging pleasantries every so often. Maybe try find a small community or something like that tied to your hobby or something else you like and "see who sticks" (sounds a little dehumanising after I write it, oh well). Maybe you can do a similar introduction so they kinda understand or it draws in similar people?

In my city centre there was a church where you could go in for random conversations during lunch time (also free lunch!). Quite a few people from overseas would use that to improve their English and the more experienced people would generally know to take extra care. Maybe there's things like that where you are?

• Love
Reactions: woh6 and Rocinante
Ashu

Ashu

novelist, sanskritist, Canadian living in India
Nov 13, 2021
Ill be honest, i have no clue how to send a private message im new to this forum;-;
You have to be here for a few days or post a certain number of replies before you can send private messages. It won't be long. In the meantime, you can start making friends with each other in the threads.

• Love
N

ngossia

Jan 4, 2023
I've never heard advice like this before lol. I'll definitely try it, but I can already tell the live reaction is going to make me so nervous!!
stupid of me to say that i am realizing now.it will be rare and random that you click with the streamer and actually spend the time with them and their community like friends. survivorship bias haha.

• Love
social_anxiety

social_anxiety

May 13, 2023
I'm in this place rn. Never was good at making new friends. Most of the time it was the other person iniciative. And this only happened at school and uni.

Now that i'm a grown up people don't come to me to be friends anymore. I have to make a move if I wanna be friends with someone and this is very difficult. I have social anxiety and I can't think of getting out to meet new people. I get so nervous around people that I don't know.

I still have some old friends but they don't live in the same city as me so my comunnication with them is purely online and not that frequently.

It feels like there is a void in my chest.

It's so irritating, I feel like I don't belong anywhere. Is there any advice to where I can find shy people like me or people who are more open to someone like me?
Same felling here. And unfortunatelly I don't know the answer to your question.

• Love
Rocinante

Rocinante

My name is Lucifer, please take my hand
Aug 26, 2022
Same, things become one-sided fairly quick since I lack the abilities to properly communicate. I think I'm not an interesting person.
Theres one inactive user here I vc with often, but outside of her I lack any socialization. Though it has helped with me becoming more communicative
I would kill to have a small group of friends (let alone one person) to play games with and talk with like I used to.
What games?

• Hugs
Reactions: Sweet Tart and social_anxiety
Zegers

Zegers

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
I get the feeling that people are bored of chatting in a loop that doesn't lead to meet in person.

theslasher

theslasher

psychonaut
Jun 12, 2023
I absolutely need friends, but whenever I'm in public or talk to anyone I don't already know I'm an absolute nervous wreck. Whenever I try to make friends online, they usually stop talking to me over a period of time or have no interest in back and forth conversation (leading to a one-sided questionnaire until I stop asking questions). I'm literally shaking some times talking/texting anyone online, in person, or over a phone. Especially strangers or anyone of the opposite sex. I would kill to have a small group of friends (let alone one person) to play games with and talk with like I used to. Maybe people confuse my lack of some areas of conversation as disinterest? I used to make so many friends so easily, but as time passes I get more shy.

Hey, I'd love to be friends! I don't have a huge social circle irl these days so it'd be cool to connect with others around the world. I like to play video games too.

Crystal

Crystal

Jun 16, 2023
been a socially awkward loner most of my life barely making friends and got worse due to long time neetdom/isolation at home. I like to write a lot to those I do open up to or appreciate me as a pen pal, I'm pretty chill I could even talk about dumb or pervy things with guys although I'm outdated with technology or tv shows/video games (my last consoles were nintendo ds/psp). Most of the online friends I chat with were guys than girls, I feel like they're more likely to stay online to keep chatting. But I had that same problem with some random people who added me on discord where I'd have to keep sending them messages to get them talking so they just feel like friend collectors to me.

• Hugs
Reactions: Sweet Tart
L

lyk0s002

Jun 14, 2023
I'm very much in the same boat. If anyone wants to connect please shoot me a pm!

woh6

woh6

Student
May 13, 2023
I understand how you feel. When I was a child things seemed simpler, but now things have changed and I struggle a lot with this now. The friend group I'm in now is because I coincidentally became friends with a girl who introduced me to them. All the friends I met in the last years were on their initiative. Next year my classes are all gonna change and I already feel nervous about it, I have no idea how to talk to people. I can't give you advice but I hope things turn out well for the both of us : )

Stylite

Stylite

Pillar-Dweller
Feb 21, 2023
Well, online friends are not real friends. There's too much in human communication that is in body language. Try getting a part-time job, joining a local club. Something. I'm sure you can figure it all out, but it's doing it that's the real challenge.

Reactions: Remeer and UseItOrLoseIt
OceanBlue

OceanBlue

Feminist
Jun 13, 2021
Well, online friends are not real friends. There's too much in human communication that is in body language. Try getting a part-time job, joining a local club. Something. I'm sure you can figure it all out, but it's doing it that's the real challenge.
So many wrong takes squeezed into 4.5 sentences.
----
Hope you find someone genuine to talk to on here, op.

internetgirl

internetgirl

β™‘ future angel
Jun 18, 2023
online friends lose interest and I can't make irl friends chronically lonely :( I'd be your friend

hopeless302

hopeless302

Student
Sep 11, 2022
Try joining clubs in your area and stuff. Meet Up apps are another good way to gain friends. Just smile and be cool and someone more extroverted than you will be sure to adopt you as their friend. Just be careful with the people you meet on this site. Some are good people, but others... are definitely not... even if they seem nice on the surface. I hope you find some escape from this perpetual loneliness. Many of us are in the same boat as you.

Stylite

Stylite

Pillar-Dweller
Feb 21, 2023
So many wrong takes squeezed into 4.5 sentences.
----
Hope you find someone genuine to talk to on here, op.
You are free to disagree, but I think it's more likely for your online "friends" to ghost you, manipulate you, and generally lie about who they are (because it's easier to act as a character rather than yourself when all your communication is text or VOIP and not face-to-face)- not all that, but it's far easier to accidentally lose contact with someone when you don't actually know their address or face. It's the internet; do you even know anything significant and tangible about anyone here? Anything for certain? Maybe you do, but well, if you do, then you are Sherlock and I'm Lestrade.

Reactions: Remeer
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
That's what I thought at first. But I have 1 friend remaining and I've lost every other friend in the real world. On the other hand, I know people that have met online and formed relationships. You know, who knows? It's always like this. You gotta be lucky enough to stumble upon the right person, offline or online.

Reactions: Sweet Tart, Remeer and Stylite
Stylite

Stylite

Pillar-Dweller
Feb 21, 2023
That's what I thought at first. But I have 1 friend remaining and I've lost every other friend in the real world. On the other hand, I know people that have met online and formed relationships. You know, who knows? It's always like this. You gotta be lucky enough to stumble upon the right person, offline or online.
For sure, you have to be lucky. I'm just not much of a gambler myself, but you can for certain win.

Reactions: UseItOrLoseIt and Remeer
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
For sure, you have to be lucky. I'm just not much of a gambler myself, but you can for certain win.
I'm not a gambler myself and after years and years of just losing people, I wouldn't trust my brother. I don't in fact. No chance I can regain the naive trust I once had. So luck, really, probably, will escape me even if it shows. I'm definitely not in a winning position, since I think my fate is to lose everything. But, I'm kinda sure that there is someone out there with whom I could form a bond, even this broken. I don't know where and I'm not gonna find out because I don't give anyone a chance, but that's just me closing myself and running away from a reality of chances.

Reactions: Remeer
Stylite

Stylite

Pillar-Dweller
Feb 21, 2023
I'm not a gambler myself and after years and years of just losing people, I wouldn't trust my brother. I don't in fact. No chance I can regain the naive trust I once had. So luck, really, probably, will escape me even if it shows. I'm definitely not in a winning position, since I think my fate is to lose everything. But, I'm kinda sure that there is someone out there with whom I could form a bond, even this broken. I don't know where and I'm not gonna find out because I don't give anyone a chance, but that's just me closing myself and running away from a reality of chances.
There's always a Razumikhin for everyone. Where are they? That's the problem.

Stylite

Stylite

Pillar-Dweller
Feb 21, 2023
Probably in China, but with my luck, most likely in a rural part of North Korea :tongue:
I'd say there's more than one. There's more than eight billion people alive. That's a number that can't even be understood, not at all visualized in any way. You'd be unlucky to have less than a few hundred thousand at the least.

But it really feels like there's almost nobody around. Why's it feel as though I have to be the wild extrovert, that I have to maintain keeping contact, that I have to initiate always- always? That's the real issue for me. When's it gonna be that someone else picks up the slack?

So luck, really, probably, will escape me even if it shows.
Well said. I feel almost exactly the same. Almost, because as Tyutchev said;

"How can a heart expression find?
How should another know your mind?"

But I feel similarly.

Reactions: Sweet Tart, UseItOrLoseIt and NumbItAll
Ferret77

Ferret77

Jun 2, 2023

I know I'm probably late, but do you want to be friends?
I'm in the same place as you....My severe social anxiety and social phobia makes me unable to really connect with anyone, simply because they don't want to be friends with someone like me, I guess...

UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
I'd say there's more than one. There's more than eight billion people alive. That's a number that can't even be understood, not at all visualized in any way. You'd be unlucky to have less than a few hundred thousand at the least.

But it really feels like there's almost nobody around. Why's it feel as though I have to be the wild extrovert, that I have to maintain keeping contact, that I have to initiate always- always? That's the real issue for me. When's it gonna be that someone else picks up the slack?

Well said. I feel almost exactly the same. Almost, because as Tyutchev said;

"How can a heart expression find?
How should another know your mind?"

But I feel similarly.
Gotta be honest first. I had a rough couple of days, been enduring the most conniving treatment at work, working myself to exhaustion, so obviously, and getting ridiculed all the same. This is not at all an apology for not answering promptly to your thoughts. It's a tantrum. I'm not able to put myself in a state of mind to answer this coherently and with a bit of flare.

Fortunately for this argument, coincidentally, my incoherence and distress is linked to me not knowing what is going on in other people's heads. I'm genuinely perplexed. This is so old news it shouldn't surprise me, but it always does. People change their mind and attitude quick! How abruptly they show their true face, how shocking it is every time. Just when you thought you have tapped into some sort of sincerity, you are shown you didn't. And it's either that people have indeed multiple masks they casually wear when it is appropriate, or they are so weak they can't hold themselves accountable for anything so their mask is just cowardice. Either way, makes me wanna quit people. I wish I could.
Tbh, it's me. It must be. I am too harsh and direct. But at least I'm honest. I have no mask except my half-faked smile intended to make people laugh alongside me... I so want everyone to like me. Guess it's because nobody does lol

1 or even more in a 8 billion chance is pretty clearly a good odd. But Tyutchev is right. It's one of those eternal questions that will never have less than 2 true and directly opposite answers.
It is impossible to know anyone simply because we don't and can't express everything that's in us. From visceral, untranslatable impressions to experiences so infinitely complicated that everyone closes themselves off because nobody wants another life to bear besides their own.
But that's why we are same. We are people. Objectively we absolutely must have an innate capacity to understand that we are a variation of the same thing. Can't deny that: our "throwness" in this world that's too complicated for us in every direction, forced to constantly improvise with no idea of the end result, cursed (and blessed bla bla) with memory that makes sure that we never forget the mistakes that hurt us.
People are closing themselves off from being good, open, sincere because they shield themselves from being hurt. Because they get hurt. Fact is, we are lowering our odds. Blame what you must for it - dangerous times, evil people, evolutionary programming, misanthropy. Even if you hate, on some level, you do understand.

Maybe it's not the chances at all and it's not about a decision you can make... Maybe it just hard to have broken pieces fit together. It doesn't neutralize the odds completely, but it pushes them to the edge.

Last edited: