Is this true?

• Yay!
  • Hugs
Reactions: Rocinante, Homo erectus, leavingthesoultrap and 1 other person
Malaria

Malaria

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead
Feb 24, 2024
Maybe. I honestly don't know. But people who are optimistic seem to have a better quality of life than pessimistic people, so perhaps this is true.

I'm still going to be pessimistic though, I ain't compromising my views that easily, haha.

• Hugs
Reactions: Meteora, RemainingDubious and sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Maybe. I honestly don't know. But people who are optimistic seem to have a better quality of life than pessimistic people, so perhaps this is true.

I'm still going to be pessimistic though, I ain't compromising my views that easily, haha.
Yeah, optimistic people seem to be happier than pessimistic people. I think positive people also smile more while negative people frown more. Does depression wreck havoc on your face?

• Hugs
Reactions: Rocinante and RemainingDubious
Malaria

Malaria

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead
Feb 24, 2024
Yeah, optimistic people seem to be happier than pessimistic people. I think positive people also smile more and negative people frown more. Does depression wreck havoc on your face?
For me I feel it has. People used to compliment my appearance, but depression sort of... has made me look tired all the time. I don't feel as beautiful as I used to.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: RemainingDubious and sserafim
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
Roald Dahl wrote this from one of my favourite children's books The Twits. I guess it depends, on reality.

• Informative
Reactions: BrainShower and sserafim
RemainingDubious

RemainingDubious

All of these lies are not worth fighting for
Feb 18, 2024
Maybe there is some truth to it? i wouldn't know since my mind seems to enjoy torturing me 🤦🏻 i tend to avoid my reflection too 😂

• Love
Reactions: Meteora, vak and sserafim
vak

vak

🏅🇨🇿
Feb 13, 2024
I don't know, even when I try to be positive, friendly and approachable, people complain about how closed off and guarded I am. My therapist said that over the years I probably subconsciously developed subtle mimicry that keeps people at bay, in order to stop them from hurting me. And because it's very subtle, it can't really be turned off or observed, no matter how I feel.

Maybe it's true for less damaged people?

• Hugs
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, leavingthesoultrap, Meteora and 2 others
exiled

exiled

i gave so many signs
Jun 17, 2023
Nah, I'm a pretty strong optimist and I'm painfully depressed.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: leavingthesoultrap, DeletedAccount0864, BrainShower and 2 others
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
Most of the time, yeah, but not always

Reactions: sserafim
Dead Ghost

Dead Ghost

Mestre del Temps
May 6, 2022
Of course it's true, when you repeat a series of phrases to yourself many times (whether positive or negative) often, every day, you end up making them your own and they change your attitude while facing your problems.

It's just that this is a classic, it's the self-conviction of a lifetime... in fact one of the ways to enter depression is precisely this, to repeat negative things about your situation continuously until one day you wake up and you already openly say that life in general is shit, that everything is suffering and that you won't get out of it.
And if you say the opposite is also wrong, because you end up in false positivism and in the end you believe that life is wonderful in general, everything is love and that you can live as you want.

There has to be a balance, neither one thing nor the other. It's not the same as not believing that you can get through it (pessimism), believing that it really doesn't matter (positivism), or understanding that you have a problem and having enough confidence in yourself to analyze it and solve it .. and if you can't solve it, seek help to try again.

//

Es clar que és veritat, quan et repeteixes moltes vegades una série de frases (siguin positives o negatives) sovint, cada día, les acabes fent teves i et modifiquen l'actitud alhora d'encarar els teus problemes.

És que això és un clàssic, és l'autoconvenciment de tota la vida.. de fet una de les vies d'entrada a la depressió és precisament aquesta, repetir-te continuament coses negatives sobre la teva situació fins que un día et lleves i ja dius obertament que la vida en general és una merda, que tot és patiment i que no t'en sortiràs.
I si dius l'oposat també malament, perque acabes dins el fals positivisme i al final et creus que la vida és meravellosa en general, tot és amor i que pots viure com vulguis.

Hi ha d'haver un equilibri, ni una cosa ni l'altre. No és el mateix no creure que et puguis ensortir (pesimisme), que creure que en realitat no hi ha per a tant (positivisme), que entendre que tens un problema i tens prou confiança en tu mateix per analitzar-lo i resoldre'l.. i si no el pots resoldre cercar ajuda per tornar-ho a intentar una altre vegada.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
My good thoughts are never actually good so people should actually be terrified when I seem happy and yet they just never learn.

• Yay!
Reactions: sserafim and Meteora
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Care Bears Nostalgia GIF

• Yay!
Reactions: Forever Sleep, DarkRange55, sserafim and 1 other person
WhatPowerIs

WhatPowerIs

Paragon
Jun 19, 2022
If that's true then my more depressive, hateful and vindictive thoughts should have given me yellow Sith eyes by now.

• Yay!
Reactions: sserafim and leavingthesoultrap
M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
This title makes me wanna scream for personal reasons. Authenticity is the biggest strength imo and these fake smiles...... I hate them from the bottom of my heart. I don't trust people who have them. I smile back, yes, but I don't get involved emotionally unless someone shows his real face.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: sserafim, RemainingDubious and R_N
R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
I think mood can reflect on face but I don't know what you meant by 'lovely'.

Some serial killers looked approachable and lovely but I wouldn't say their thoughts were exactly that.

• Love
Reactions: sserafim, Meteora, RemainingDubious and 1 other person
untothedepths

untothedepths

I'm so scared... I'm cold.
Mar 20, 2023
I think this is a flowery way of saying "Be positive because people like it". Which is usually true. *Most people tend to want to be around happy people more than the opposite.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: sserafim, Meteora and RemainingDubious
leavingthesoultrap

leavingthesoultrap

(ᴗ_ ᴗ。)
Nov 25, 2023
Not if you have a resting bitch face

• Yay!
Reactions: Forever Sleep, sserafim and RemainingDubious
M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
I think this is a flowery way of saying "Be positive because people like it". Which is usually true. *Most people tend to want to be around happy people more than the opposite.
Yes that's true and yet so weird. I m not a pessimist. I m not an optimist. I m a realist.

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
I will quote myself as I have said on another thread: I think people have "aura" I guess which are distinct but I think that aura is just people seeing a manifestation of your subconscious whether it's in a corporal language that is so strong that it exudes a distinct emotion and personality or other less scientific and more kind of mystical thing. But overall I still think this so called aura or soul or whatever is called is either in the brain of an individual (as in being is subconscious) or being the result of a connection between brains of two different people but that might imply the "soul" of a person would vary depending on who's perceiving it and there constantly changing and evolving. It would be messy and complicated but things are complex so why not

Yes, most communication is non-verbal. The percentages listed online can be misleading of cadence, body language, tone, ect. play a big factor.