L

lemonhoney

Sep 29, 2022
i was the toxic one and I realized too late.

I wish I realized earlier. Even though I'm remorseful and can forgive myself, I can't help but feel the need to escape. I never learned from past traumas and I took it out on someone who really loved me.

Now it's too late.

I hope I sleep and won't wake up.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: disabledlife, nopride86, Amccorm2 and 8 others
makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022
i was the toxic one and I realized too late.

I wish I realized earlier. Even though I'm remorseful and can forgive myself, I can't help but feel the need to escape. I never learned from past traumas and I took it out on someone who really loved me.

Now it's too late.

I hope I sleep and won't wake up.
Could you not apologize to the person in question? Explain that you have been hurting badly, and that you really love and need them in your life? Just my two cents.

Reactions: Forever Sleep
L

lemonhoney

Sep 29, 2022
Could you not apologize to the person in question? Explain that you have been hurting badly, and that you really love and need them in your life? Just my two cents.
They moved on. My ego was too high because I thought they wouldn't leave me (and also they said we could work on it so I felt secure) but then got blindsided by a breakup. Also I'm not their responsibility anymore. I'm nothing to them. Once I have a solid method to CTB I might reach out to apologize, but only because I expect nothing from them in return. It's shitty but seeing them happy without me makes me so suicidal, I think because I'm jealous that I couldn't do that for them and also I can't be happy like they are. Toxic thinking, toxic person. Trying to change and I'm self aware but doesn't make the CTB thoughts go away.

• Hugs
Reactions: disabledlife, SectOfValtiel, Pluto and 1 other person
SectOfValtiel

SectOfValtiel

Attendant of God
Nov 7, 2022
I wish I had some advice to give, but honestly I was and still am in a lot of ways the toxic one, too
I lost a lot of people that way and it took years of introspection to even realize with some
All I can say is its important to me personally to admit my own mistakes when I know they lead to me hurting someone I love, because Ive been on the other end of that too
Not a lot hurts worse than being hurt by someone you love, and having them refuse to even acknowledge they did it in the first place when sometimes even just knowing they regret it is enough to forgive them entirely
Even if I never change- and theres a major part of me that thinks Ill always be too broken for that- at least by apologizing Im taking a step towards trying to be better, that counts for more than it seems

Nobody is perfect, were all bound to make mistakes
But its how you react after the fact that really cements how toxic you were
In my opinion, at least

Either way, I hope things work out for the better for you
I know none of this can be easy to deal with so trust me when I say nobody is going to judge you for that

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: disabledlife and Cathy Ames
WhiskeyHands

WhiskeyHands

Looking California…Feeling Minnesota
Oct 17, 2022
Break ups are 50/50. Own your 50% but don't take 100% of the blame. Unless their was cheating or abuse a breakup is never just one persons fault. You'll drive yourself crazy taking the full blame. Trust me, I'm going through a terrible break up too. Not only did it break my heart, but for the first time I'm totally shattered as a human being. It's one of the biggest reasons amongst others that I plan on CTB. Feel free to message me if you'd like to talk.

• Hugs
Reactions: LittleJem, SectOfValtiel and lemonhoney
L

lemonhoney

Sep 29, 2022
I wish I had some advice to give, but honestly I was and still am in a lot of ways the toxic one, too
I lost a lot of people that way and it took years of introspection to even realize with some
All I can say is its important to me personally to admit my own mistakes when I know they lead to me hurting someone I love, because Ive been on the other end of that too
Not a lot hurts worse than being hurt by someone you love, and having them refuse to even acknowledge they did it in the first place when sometimes even just knowing they regret it is enough to forgive them entirely
Even if I never change- and theres a major part of me that thinks Ill always be too broken for that- at least by apologizing Im taking a step towards trying to be better, that counts for more than it seems

Nobody is perfect, were all bound to make mistakes
But its how you react after the fact that really cements how toxic you were
In my opinion, at least

Either way, I hope things work out for the better for you
I know none of this can be easy to deal with so trust me when I say nobody is going to judge you for that
Thanks for this. I wish I saw my toxicity sooner. I've never felt like this before so I really don't know how it'll get better. Turns out I was the insecure one all along and didn't realize until it was too late.

I don't know if I'll get past this. I don't see that happening in the future.

Did you end up apologizing ? What was the outcome ?
Break ups are 50/50. Own your 50% but don't take 100% of the blame. Unless their was cheating or abuse a breakup is never just one persons fault. You'll drive yourself crazy taking the full blame. Trust me, I'm going through a terrible break up too. Not only did it break my heart, but for the first time I'm totally shattered as a human being. It's one of the biggest reasons amongst others that I plan on CTB. Feel free to message me if you'd like to talk.
How are you coping ? I can't message you now I think you're fairly new.

I also feel like this is the first time I'm shattered as a human. It's crept into every part of my life. I hate my job, can't watch tv or listen to music, can barely respond to friends reaching out, can't sleep or eat. It's been about 2 months and I don't see it going away. I hate dating and honestly would be too scared to date someone and become toxic to them as well.

Did you end up apologizing ? I need to talk to my therapist and see if it's even worth it.

Last edited:
Fadeawaaaay

Fadeawaaaay

Visionary
Nov 12, 2021
I had the same revelation… Except throughout my entire life

• Hugs
Reactions: Cathy Ames
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
It sounds so awful what you are going through and it must be hard to deal with being in that situation. I wish you relief from suffering.

Reactions: SectOfValtiel
WhiskeyHands

WhiskeyHands

Oct 17, 2022
I don't know if I'll get past this. I don't see that happening in the future.

How are you coping ? I can't message you now I think you're fairly new.

I also feel like this is the first time I'm shattered as a human. It's crept into every part of my life. I hate my job, can't watch tv or listen to music, can barely respond to friends reaching out, can't sleep or eat. It's been about 2 months and I don't see it going away. I hate dating and honestly would be too scared to date someone and become toxic to them as well.

Did you end up apologizing ? I need to talk to my therapist and see if it's even worth it.
Well it's 3 months post breakup and 2 months no contact. I'm not coping very well, just a lot of drinking, playing video games and self isolation. Time heals all wounds…if anything time is making it worse.Work is a pretty good distraction for 8 hours of the day. I know I need to get out, gym, blah blah all the same shit everyone tells you when you breakup, I just don't have the motivation. I was seeing a therapist for a little bit, but I got turned off by it and really wasn't connecting with her the way I hoped I would.

I've given pieces of my heart out 3 times before and don't know if I can do it again. I thought I knew heartbreak until this happened. Dating anymore is difficult we very much live in a throwaway hookup culture. Potential partners have so many different options at their disposal. It's now a big pond with a lot of fish. I did apologize to her, the thing is the issues we were having were not anything that couldn't have been worked on with proper communication. No cheating or abuse on my part.

I understand and own my 50% of the breakup. But she drove out of state to sleep with a guy 5 days after we broke up and announced their relationship a month after the breakup. So what's that tell ya? The feeling of being discarded and replaced like it was nothing is very hard to shake. 3.5 years together for nothing.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: disabledlife, eternapeace, LittleJem and 1 other person
L

lemonhoney

Sep 29, 2022
Well it's 3 months post breakup and 2 months no contact. I'm not coping very well, just a lot of drinking, playing video games and self isolation. Time heals all wounds…if anything time is making it worse.Work is a pretty good distraction for 8 hours of the day. I know I need to get out, gym, blah blah all the same shit everyone tells you when you breakup, I just don't have the motivation. I was seeing a therapist for a little bit, but I got turned off by it and really wasn't connecting with her the way I hoped I would.

I've given pieces of my heart out 3 times before and don't know if I can do it again. I thought I knew heartbreak until this happened. Dating anymore is difficult we very much live in a throwaway hookup culture. Potential partners have so many different options at their disposal. It's now a big pond with a lot of fish. I did apologize to her, the thing is the issues we were having were not anything that couldn't have been worked on with proper communication. No cheating or abuse on my part.

I understand and own my 50% of the breakup. But she drove out of state to sleep with a guy 5 days after we broke up and announced their relationship a month after the breakup. So what's that tell ya? The feeling of being discarded and replaced like it was nothing is very hard to shake. 3.5 years together for nothing.
I feel you. I was cheated on before this relationship and for some reason I was able to get over that one quickly. I think because at that time I had a sense of identity and felt like I loved myself.

With this past relationship, I gave everything to him. I moved for him multiple times and gave up friends and even social media so he could feel more secure. He was very insecure at first. That was my mistake, because after catering to him and making my life revolve around his life, I stopped loving myself. I became manipulative and expected so much from him because I felt like he owed me, but that shouldn't be a relationship. I regret so much. It hurts to know I was wrong for him from the beginning, I was just in the right place at the right time.

I could blame him 50% sure but ultimately everyone is in charge of their own lives. I slowly gave up my agency because I thought it showed him that I loved him. Big mistake. I'm trying to learn how to love myself again but after 3 years of only loving one person it's hard, and I don't want to suffer the rest of my life. I would rather die

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Cathy Ames, LittleJem and Per Ardua Ad Astra
WhiskeyHands

WhiskeyHands

Oct 17, 2022
I feel you. I was cheated on before this relationship and for some reason I was able to get over that one quickly. I think because at that time I had a sense of identity and felt like I loved myself.

With this past relationship, I gave everything to him. I moved for him multiple times and gave up friends and even social media so he could feel more secure. He was very insecure at first. That was my mistake, because after catering to him and making my life revolve around his life, I stopped loving myself. I became manipulative and expected so much from him because I felt like he owed me, but that shouldn't be a relationship. I regret so much. It hurts to know I was wrong for him from the beginning, I was just in the right place at the right time.

I could blame him 50% sure but ultimately everyone is in charge of their own lives. I slowly gave up my agency because I thought it showed him that I loved him. Big mistake. I'm trying to learn how to love myself again but after 3 years of only loving one person it's hard, and I don't want to suffer the rest of my life. I would rather die
I don't know your story in full. But it sounds like you sacrificed a lot for this person. Did he appreciate and respect the sacrifices that you made for him? I don't necessarily think it's wrong to want to something in return for the things you gave up. I understand my ex and her daughter were a massive part of my life for the last 3.5 years. The loss is tremendous.

• Aww..
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra
SectOfValtiel

SectOfValtiel

Attendant of God
Nov 7, 2022
To be honest every chance I got I apologized
And a lot I think I was forgiven for, or at least given a pass, but a lot I know I wasnt

I think Im okay with that... at least I admitted fault, tried to be better, thats all you can really do
And thats a big reason Im still in therapy even if it hasnt helped me personally

Its the long list of things I *didnt* get to apologize for that still bother me
I still wish I could tell my ex Im sorry at least one more time, hurting her was the biggest mistake I ever made and I hope she knows that
But I know Ill never get that chance, doubt I could find her if I tried
I dont even know if shes still alive

Save yourself from that kind of regret if you can
It hurts worse than knowing you hurt them if you ask me

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: Cathy Ames and Per Ardua Ad Astra
L

lemonhoney

Sep 29, 2022
To be honest every chance I got I apologized
And a lot I think I was forgiven for, or at least given a pass, but a lot I know I wasnt

I think Im okay with that... at least I admitted fault, tried to be better, thats all you can really do
And thats a big reason Im still in therapy even if it hasnt helped me personally

Its the long list of things I *didnt* get to apologize for that still bother me
I still wish I could tell my ex Im sorry at least one more time, hurting her was the biggest mistake I ever made and I hope she knows that
But I know Ill never get that chance, doubt I could find her if I tried
I dont even know if shes still alive

Save yourself from that kind of regret if you can
It hurts worse than knowing you hurt them if you ask me
I'm still battling if I should send an apology or not. I know he's moved on from me but I can't stand the thought of him only remembering the bad things even though I know that's completely normal because that's what I've done to past exes too.

SectOfValtiel

SectOfValtiel

Attendant of God
Nov 7, 2022
I'm still battling if I should send an apology or not. I know he's moved on from me but I can't stand the thought of him only remembering the bad things even though I know that's completely normal because that's what I've done to past exes too.
I think you should, the worst that could have happened already has
And maybe making a decision will come with some catharsis

Either way its your decision and its up to you to figure out what the right one is
I hope you get some peace regardless of what you do

Reactions: Cathy Ames
F

FallFadesIntoWinter

Apr 25, 2022
I hurt my fair share of people along the way in my own life (parents, friends, girlfriends) and the one thing I always tried to do is apologize and own my mistakes.

Half of people will forgive you, the other half probably won't, but the main thing is to forgive yourself and that starts with a humble and authentic apology to the person you hurt and to own your mistakes.

Trust me, I've fucked up lots in my life, at the very least you'll do the right thing in helping the other person heal too and you'll help yourself in the forgiveness part as well.

Years from now, it's the apologies you didn't make that'll haunt you, your ego will be just fine after all this too.

Reactions: Cathy Ames, SectOfValtiel and lemonhoney
L

lemonhoney

Sep 29, 2022
I hurt my fair share of people along the way in my own life (parents, friends, girlfriends) and the one thing I always tried to do is apologize and own my mistakes.

Half of people will forgive you, the other half probably won't, but the main thing is to forgive yourself and that starts with a humble and authentic apology to the person you hurt and to own your mistakes.

Trust me, I've fucked up lots in my life, at the very least you'll do the right thing in helping the other person heal too and you'll help yourself in the forgiveness part as well.

Years from now, it's the apologies you didn't make that'll haunt you, your ego will be just fine after all this too.
Needed this. I woke up with what felt like a hand squeezing my heart, then it felt warm all over. I drafted my apology immediately after like at 5am. We'll see if they want to hear it but in the end it's for me and forgiving myself.

• Love
Reactions: Cathy Ames, FallFadesIntoWinter and SectOfValtiel
F

FallFadesIntoWinter

Apr 25, 2022
Honestly, if they DON'T accept your apology, that's 100% on them. I think it says a lot about someone's character who can't accept an apology that's sincere and honest. OK, there's some apologies I wouldn't expect someone to accept (like murder, rape, assault, racism etc.) but for the rest of things that happen to us, I think we have to look at the person who's admitting they were wrong/fucked up/got carried away and realize they had a human moment or two of imperfection.

I hope they accept your apology too, it's a great first step in forgiving yourself too. Mind you, if they don't accept it, you can still forgive yourself too, knowing you at least tried to do the right thing.

Seriously, I have about 10 people or more on my list of people to apologize too right now. I didn't fuck them over, steal from them, physically hurt them, I just let them all down in one way or another. I let them get close to me and, well, I ran away without notice. Apologizing for me should be so natural by now.

L

lemonhoney

Sep 29, 2022
Honestly, if they DON'T accept your apology, that's 100% on them. I think it says a lot about someone's character who can't accept an apology that's sincere and honest. OK, there's some apologies I wouldn't expect someone to accept (like murder, rape, assault, racism etc.) but for the rest of things that happen to us, I think we have to look at the person who's admitting they were wrong/fucked up/got carried away and realize they had a human moment or two of imperfection.

I hope they accept your apology too, it's a great first step in forgiving yourself too. Mind you, if they don't accept it, you can still forgive yourself too, knowing you at least tried to do the right thing.

Seriously, I have about 10 people or more on my list of people to apologize too right now. I didn't fuck them over, steal from them, physically hurt them, I just let them all down in one way or another. I let them get close to me and, well, I ran away without notice. Apologizing for me should be so natural by now.
Thanks for this. I feel like I've forgiven myself and feel at peace with that. I do rly hope he at least reads it but we'll see, it's up to him and I can only control myself. It's still painful.

I understand that apologizing is hard. I had to learn the hard way. I didn't take his apologies seriously and it led me to becoming toxic. I also didn't know how to apologize because I couldn't admit fault.

Reactions: FallFadesIntoWinter
F

FallFadesIntoWinter

Apr 25, 2022
I was in your situation a few years ago (well, I don't know if it's just like your situation really but I hurt someone at one point and I dragged them down in my downward spiral of depression, anxiety and anger for months) and I was waaaay too stubborn to apologize to them for awhile. I hated myself for it though, so I swallowed my pride and put my ego aside and give them a really heartfelt and sincere apology in writing.

Well... they didn't accept it (they never addressed it with me, so I assume they didn't accept it) and that hurt for a bit but, with time, I eventually got over it and knew that apologizing was the right thing to do and I'm glad I did it. It was for them AND me, so I started healing simply because I did the right thing and apologized to them, even if they chose not to accept or acknowledge it.

You're allowed to mess up too, you just have to own it at some point as well. Owning it is harder (I think) than apologizing but, for a lot of people, sorry is the hardest 5 letter word to say.

L

lemonhoney

Sep 29, 2022
I was in your situation a few years ago (well, I don't know if it's just like your situation really but I hurt someone at one point and I dragged them down in my downward spiral of depression, anxiety and anger for months) and I was waaaay too stubborn to apologize to them for awhile. I hated myself for it though, so I swallowed my pride and put my ego aside and give them a really heartfelt and sincere apology in writing.

Well... they didn't accept it (they never addressed it with me, so I assume they didn't accept it) and that hurt for a bit but, with time, I eventually got over it and knew that apologizing was the right thing to do and I'm glad I did it. It was for them AND me, so I started healing simply because I did the right thing and apologized to them, even if they chose not to accept or acknowledge it.

You're allowed to mess up too, you just have to own it at some point as well. Owning it is harder (I think) than apologizing but, for a lot of people, sorry is the hardest 5 letter word to say.
This is right on the nose. I dragged them down so deep. I am their trauma.

I need to repeat sorry in my head every chance I get because I don't want to make that mistake again. Just keep bouncing between forgiving myself and hating myself.

F

FallFadesIntoWinter

Apr 25, 2022
Don't beat yourself up too much over this. Maybe they're beating themselves up thinking they could've done more to save/help you too, you never know.

FYI, I've had people hurt me pretty good in the past and I never felt like they were my trauma either (sorry, not saying you're wrong to think this, just that I think you're putting way too much burden on yourself that's simply not there). We all survive things in life, we all move on, maybe we think about things years later about what we went through but the human soul perseveres so much, we don't ever forget but we store it in the back of our subconscious to remind ourselves (as proof) that we're not as fragile as we think we are.

I went to a LOT of therapy in the past, had an amazing therapist, did the work. All I can tell you is this: You might've hurt someone but you didn't ruin their life, not by a long shot. Yeah, they might've felt pretty shitty and had some sleepless nights, heartache, sadness but you didn't crush them. We think we crushed people though because our own guilt, for lack of a better analogy, slaps us around pretty good as a lesson not to do it again.

Forgive yourself now... you said what you needed to say to them, now the hard part remains: Forgiveness of yourself. You'll def have times where you're mad, sad, regretful, feeling stupid, anxious etc. Let is all happen and then, when you're feeling more clear about things, say to yourself: I human and I'm learning to be human.

• Love
Reactions: lemonhoney
L

lemonhoney

Sep 29, 2022
Don't beat yourself up too much over this. Maybe they're beating themselves up thinking they could've done more to save/help you too, you never know.

FYI, I've had people hurt me pretty good in the past and I never felt like they were my trauma either (sorry, not saying you're wrong to think this, just that I think you're putting way too much burden on yourself that's simply not there). We all survive things in life, we all move on, maybe we think about things years later about what we went through but the human soul perseveres so much, we don't ever forget but we store it in the back of our subconscious to remind ourselves (as proof) that we're not as fragile as we think we are.

I went to a LOT of therapy in the past, had an amazing therapist, did the work. All I can tell you is this: You might've hurt someone but you didn't ruin their life, not by a long shot. Yeah, they might've felt pretty shitty and had some sleepless nights, heartache, sadness but you didn't crush them. We think we crushed people though because our own guilt, for lack of a better analogy, slaps us around pretty good as a lesson not to do it again.

Forgive yourself now... you said what you needed to say to them, now the hard part remains: Forgiveness of yourself. You'll def have times where you're mad, sad, regretful, feeling stupid, anxious etc. Let is all happen and then, when you're feeling more clear about things, say to yourself: I human and I'm learning to be human.
Aaaand this is why I'm glad to be on SS. The thankfulness I feel is deep in my heart, a simple "thank you" can't suffice for how I feel about ur response :,)

Learning, growing. Uhhh still planning some CTB plans but ya know. One step at a time.

F

FallFadesIntoWinter

Apr 25, 2022
Honestly, when I'm on here, it hurts to see people plan on CTB because I know (from my own perspective) we're all just hanging on hoping the next day brings something amazing and we can then string multiple days together into weeks and maybe months after that.

I also get why people talk about, plan and, eventually, carry out CTB. I've tried it three times in my life so far (starting from 10 years old until the age of 21) and probably thought about it thousands of hours after that and I know I'm destined to do it. I never once thought I'd die old from natural causes or even from a disease, I always knew it would be suicide. I'm a huge advocate of people getting to choose to do it too, there's no shame, embarrassment or even stigma for people committing suicide as far as I'm concerned. Young, old, rich, poor, healthy, sick... all walks of life have done it, it's pretty much second-nature to humans.

No need to say thanks either, I'm a good person always trying to be better in life. Unlike a lot of people on this planet, I actually give a fuck what happens to people, especially when they lose hope or are on the verge of having a meltdown or calling it quits. I think everyone has the right to decide what happens to them in terms of their own fate but I also don't want people to give up so easily too. I know, for myself, when enough is enough and although I feel like I'm close to calling it quits, I hold out for the hopes I can turn things around and live a purposeful life and give back to others.

You're never too old to grow and learn... I think that's a blessing and a curse at the same time. Just know everything you've probably felt over the last little while is how most people have felt at one time or another. Look at it in a good way though... all those things you felt means you actually give a crap about others and yourself... you've got that going for you, right?

L

lemonhoney

Sep 29, 2022
Honestly, when I'm on here, it hurts to see people plan on CTB because I know (from my own perspective) we're all just hanging on hoping the next day brings something amazing and we can then string multiple days together into weeks and maybe months after that.

I also get why people talk about, plan and, eventually, carry out CTB. I've tried it three times in my life so far (starting from 10 years old until the age of 21) and probably thought about it thousands of hours after that and I know I'm destined to do it. I never once thought I'd die old from natural causes or even from a disease, I always knew it would be suicide. I'm a huge advocate of people getting to choose to do it too, there's no shame, embarrassment or even stigma for people committing suicide as far as I'm concerned. Young, old, rich, poor, healthy, sick... all walks of life have done it, it's pretty much second-nature to humans.

No need to say thanks either, I'm a good person always trying to be better in life. Unlike a lot of people on this planet, I actually give a fuck what happens to people, especially when they lose hope or are on the verge of having a meltdown or calling it quits. I think everyone has the right to decide what happens to them in terms of their own fate but I also don't want people to give up so easily too. I know, for myself, when enough is enough and although I feel like I'm close to calling it quits, I hold out for the hopes I can turn things around and live a purposeful life and give back to others.

You're never too old to grow and learn... I think that's a blessing and a curse at the same time. Just know everything you've probably felt over the last little while is how most people have felt at one time or another. Look at it in a good way though... all those things you felt means you actually give a crap about others and yourself... you've got that going for you, right?
Ima PM you, we're friends now.