BrailleTogepi

BrailleTogepi

They/Them
Feb 6, 2023
Things have been strained between my family and I ever since I came out as trans, particularly between me and my mom. I know she loves me and that she cared for me for 2 decades which wasn't trivial, but from an emotional standpoint all I can ever remember her doing is worrying and throwing religious dogma at me. She's never understood me, and it would be naive of me to believe she ever will, at least in the way I need to be understood. I love her and she loves me but I'd be lying if I said she meets all of my needs as a parent.

I think this is a big part of why I find myself desperately wanting to ctb, or at least to make sure I have a ctb route in case I ever decide I'm truly done and want to leave. I'll only ever have one mother, and the one I got tries her best for sure but it's just not enough for me. Saying that about her sounds dehumanizing and that's the last thing I want to do to her, but at the same time I can't pretend that I'm fine when it's clear that I'm literally on this forum and have SN purchased and on the way for a reason.

Anyway... Over the past week I've been delving into my memories and remembering all of the little things she did for me, things that symbolize that she really does love me and never did see me as just one within a set of 12, designed only to serve the church she lives for. She put time and effort into me and I've been able to see that, which is important because I truly blinded myself to it when she didn't accept me upon coming out to her. So I started opening up to her a little bit over this past week and began to have a little more faith in her. Which was a mistake.

You see, she's perhaps just a little too attached to the way the church thinks, so much so that she's very judgemental toward anyone who doesn't obey all of the church's rules and teachings. That includes her children. I told her everything, everything. She told me that committing suicide is a sin, ignoring the principle of personal autonomy (which seems to be something in general that she doesn't really believe in). She told me that acid will mess up my mind and not to try it, ignoring that I perceive it as literally my last resort to see if I can find a way to make this life worth living. I told her I knew it was distressing to her but that I really just needed someone to open up to, to which she scoffed and went "pfft, okay, I guess so..." (Not exactly the words she used, but that was the kind of "okay" she conveyed). But I think the most damning thing was that I told her that she can call a welfare check on me in order to get me into a psych ward where I can't hurt myself. Luckily that detail seemed to fly over her head but I can't be sure that she'll never think back on what I told her and recall it. And now she's just more worried than ever, still understanding absolutely nothing about me. I know her actions are motivated by fear and there's not much she can do about that, but... did she really have to have 12 children? And did I really have to be one of them?

I wanted acceptance and support from my mother.

Instead, I got reluctant tolerance and visible judgement.

This truly is the only community I can turn to and be open with.

Thanks for reading.

• Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds, AloneInCollege, HybridSpectre and 6 others
jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
I'm glad you're here ❤️

• Hugs
Reactions: BrailleTogepi
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I'm sorry. That's really tough. I do sympathise with you a great deal. For me- my Dad is the only thing that's keeping me here. I love him so much and I know he loves me. Still- I do know what you mean. I do feel deeply sorry for people who have neglectful- or worse- abusive parents. They seem to think that having someone that cares about them would make everything right. It's hard to explain that it doesn't always.

Quite often, they seem to love a version of us that maybe we were once- or- that they think we are. They don't honestly want to hear about what we REALLY feel because that messes up their version of us. (That's how I see it anyway.)

It's actually REALLY frustrating feeling trapped in this life out of loyalty to your parents when they can't emotionally or practically really relate to us or support us anymore.

I think the worst is when you reveal something telling about how you feel and it goes down like a lead balloon. I haven't revealed the whole truth to my Dad. I'm hoping I can stop that but it is becoming more and more difficult. I'm so sorry you have had this experience.

12 children?!! I don't know anyone with that many! Are any of your brothers/sisters struggling as well? No need to answer if that's too intrusive though- sorry- that is a bit personal.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: HybridSpectre, BrailleTogepi and Antinous
BrailleTogepi

BrailleTogepi

They/Them
Feb 6, 2023
I'm sorry. That's really tough. I do sympathise with you a great deal. For me- my Dad is the only thing that's keeping me here. I love him so much and I know he loves me. Still- I do know what you mean. I do feel deeply sorry for people who have neglectful- or worse- abusive parents. They seem to think that having someone that cares about them would make everything right. It's hard to explain that it doesn't always.

Quite often, they seem to love a version of us that maybe we were once- or- that they think we are. They don't honestly want to hear about what we REALLY feel because that messes up their version of us. (That's how I see it anyway.)

It's actually REALLY frustrating feeling trapped in this life out of loyalty to your parents when they can't emotionally or practically really relate to us or support us anymore.

I think the worst is when you reveal something telling about how you feel and it goes down like a lead balloon. I haven't revealed the whole truth to my Dad. I'm hoping I can stop that but it is becoming more and more difficult. I'm so sorry you have had this experience.

12 children?!! I don't know anyone with that many! Are any of your brothers/sisters struggling as well? No need to answer if that's too intrusive though- sorry- that is a bit personal.
Thank you for the kind words. I deeply feel the sentiment that they love the idea of us, more than us as real, actual people.

To answer your question: Most of my siblings got married in the church and began raising children. Of all my siblings, the only ones who have left the church are me and 2 others. Of us three, I know two are suicidal. But I wouldn't be surprised if the third was too, sadly...

• Aww..
Reactions: HybridSpectre and Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Thank you for the kind words. I deeply feel the sentiment that they love the idea of us, more than us as real, actual people.

To answer your question: Most of my siblings got married in the church and began raising children. Of all my siblings, the only ones who have left the church are me and 2 others. Of us three, I know two are suicidal. But I wouldn't be surprised if the third was too, sadly...
I'm so sorry to hear that. Could you maybe confide in each other? Do you think that would help? I confided in a friend at school once- because they felt the same at the time. It helped to just tell someone. It doesn't sound like either of our parents can really handle being open about this kind of thing I'm afraid. Still, it's really hard to carry all these feelings in secret all the time.

BrailleTogepi

BrailleTogepi

They/Them
Feb 6, 2023
I'm so sorry to hear that. Could you maybe confide in each other? Do you think that would help? I confided in a friend at school once- because they felt the same at the time. It helped to just tell someone. It doesn't sound like either of our parents can really handle being open about this kind of thing I'm afraid. Still, it's really hard to carry all these feelings in secret all the time.
Maybe I could... A year ago I confided in the one who may-or-may-not be suicidal, I was speaking about it as something of the past because that's what I thought it was at the time... He said he was glad that I didn't commit suicide, that words can't express it. I don't know how he would respond if I came to him today to talk about suicidal thoughts I'm currently dealing with. I've opened up to multiple friends too, and have been met with a wide range of responses, varying all the way from denial and invalidation, to reluctant acceptance, at the cost of worrying the person in question dearly and causing a mental tax on them, which I don't like doing. Part of me feels like I'm just being dramatic because it's not like I don't have friends I can talk to about the things that bother me; on the contrary I have so many people who would miss me once I'm gone... That's why I'm so determined to literally break the law to try to fix things before I make a more permanent decision; I personally couldn't really care less about staying on the planet longer for my own sake, it's really just for them...

That was a lot of rambling but to answer your basic question, yes I can open up to them, but it would probably worry them more than anything, and it's doubtful I'd hear from them the things I need to hear, for example I'm less interested in being told why I should stay and more interested in being told that it's okay to leave...

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I never really believe that it's a good idea being open about wanting to die, especially to someone with beliefs like that. I just think that it's too risky and could very easily just make things worse. At least to me it's certainly best to stay quiet as many people won't even try to understand and they refuse to see suicide as being a rational option.

Reactions: blanket99 and BrailleTogepi
BrailleTogepi

BrailleTogepi

They/Them
Feb 6, 2023
I never really believe that it's a good idea being open about wanting to die, especially to someone with beliefs like that. I just think that it's too risky and could very easily just make things worse. At least to me it's certainly best to stay quiet as many people won't even try to understand and they refuse to see suicide as being a rational option.
That's what I'm slowly discovering, sadly... Lol