Water-Lily

Water-Lily

Enlightened
Dec 26, 2020
So I found out my father opened up a savings account for myself and my brother and deposited a lot of his money into it

He actually has another savings account for us already, so I'm not sure why he didn't use that

It all seems so weird. A part of me wants to believe this is a good gesture but the other part of me feels scared that there is something sinister behind this

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep, Homo erectus, Slow_Farewell and 2 others
Slow_Farewell

Slow_Farewell

Warlock
Dec 19, 2023
I dont know what your family relationship is so i'm just basing it off what you wrote above..
Based on banking concepts, it's one thing to name an account, and quite another to allow other people to actually get the funds from it.
I'm not saying it's a favor, a blessing or a peace offering of sorts, and that fact that you feel there is something sinister behind it implies you may have experienced something that led you to be concerned about his actions in the future.

At the end of the day,my take is you should try and remember that it's actually his money. True, there may be reasons why he's placing it under someone else's name (mostly tax related) but if you're concerned about it then it might be best to either ask outright or reject it and ask him not to use your or your brothers name in the account.

Reactions: wondering&wandering
Water-Lily

Water-Lily

Enlightened
Dec 26, 2020
I asked him. he said its in his account at the moment and he has not distributed the money yet

He followed up saying he wants to look for an apartment/studio for me to live in. its a discussion we've had before, and he wants me to have my own place
The reality is that rent where I live is very high and it's difficult to get your own place. Its why I'm trying to rely on my own (food stamps, section 8, etc)
I asked him if it was fort tax reasons. He said "I want to start a savings account for both of you now because I will not be around forever"

I don't know if he's trying to manipulate me or what but I don't know what to believe anymore

Last edited:
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
It sounds like a nice gesture to me but then, I don't know your Dad. What do you think he's trying to manipulate you in to? Staying alive? If he realises you're that unhappy? Or, to feel indebted to him or something?

I think parents do often have this thought though- as they get older. Also, if they know there are other members of your family that might contest a will or, get funny amout it, he may want to see that you get part of your share now. Plus, he probably simply wants to feel he's helping you and wants to see the good effect it might have.

Is he suicidal at all? Is it that you're worried about? Sorry- that's rather direct. I expect we all fear our parents dieing.

Water-Lily

Water-Lily

Enlightened
Dec 26, 2020
It sounds like a nice gesture to me but then, I don't know your Dad. What do you think he's trying to manipulate you in to? Staying alive? If he realises you're that unhappy? Or, to feel indebted to him or something?

I think parents do often have this thought though- as they get older. Also, if they know there are other members of your family that might contest a will or, get funny amout it, he may want to see that you get part of your share now. Plus, he probably simply wants to feel he's helping you and wants to see the good effect it might have.

Is he suicidal at all? Is it that you're worried about? Sorry- that's rather direct. I expect we all fear our parents dieing.
Nah its alright

My dad knows I'm unhappy living with my abusive brother (who is still a piece of shit that attacks me) and its the reason I've chosen to live on campus for school

He wants to see me live in a space thats mine. Even if its a studio, a place where I don't have to share with people and can feel happy

Outside of him, I have nobody else helping me financially. If he stopped working or died, I don't have any relatives that can help me

No one in my extended family has a lot of money. Everyone relies on my cousin who is abusive as well

So if my dad is gone...I have no financial support

It's why I'm trying. Using his money to buy necessary appliances while relying on Food Stamps/Government Aid/job applications to start sustaining myself. Maybe I can even get section 8 housing

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep