F

fallentopieces

Jan 18, 2019
New user here but longtime lurker. There's currently a thread from a few days ago asking the same thing but my question is slightly different.
I'm a female from the UK, if that means anything.

I feel at my lowest point right now. On the verge of seriously harming myself or doing something I'll regret. For the past few days I've been running out in front of cars trying to get hit (which is hideously selfish). But deep down I'm not ready to ctb yet. I don't think I'm safe by myself

I want to be in hospital because I know I won't do anything there BUT my problem is that I refuse to go to A+E for a mental health crisis. Have done this in the past and have been in a+e for a suicide attempt last year. The staff treat me horribly, are rude and dismissive, or speak to me like I'm a child that's fallen over and hurt my knee or something. Just two extremes that make me feel worse than I did before I went in.

I've been in the same hospital for a bad chest infection and the staff on that occasion were far more pleasant.

I want to be in hospital so I don't make a mistake but at the same time I just can't bring myself to go in for suicidal thoughts.

I was thinking of throwing myself down the stairs and hitting my head, but I just can't let myself fall due to instinct when I go to try and throw myself down.

I can't think of anything else that might result in an admission. Giving myself food poisoning would take too long to set in and isn't necessarily a guaranteed trip to hospital. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas. I know it's fucked up.

Please let me know if I'm posting in the wrong place, btw.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Gottahavefaithx and lemmeeleev
DeadlyLiving

DeadlyLiving

I can't fix it, is this where I give in?
Jan 1, 2019
I don't know if it is different in the UK but in Germany the hospital for mental and physical problems is different, so if you just go into the hospital with a food poisoning, broken bone or wound on your head it won't bring you any further with you mental health problems. The staff there is not schooled to help you get better, that's why there is a psych ward.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and lemmeeleev
J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
Hi @fallentopieces
I'm really sad that you had a bad experience last time you went to A & E with a mental health crisis. That's appalling and you have my sympathy xxx

They have no right to treat you with any disrespect - that sort of attitude is why we are failing to make progress in improving mental health problems in this country. Is there a different A & E you can go to? I don't know if you are in a large city with more than one hospital? Alternatively, call 111 and tell them you are suicidal then at least you will go through a pathway process to see a doctor and if you are directed to hospital it will be on their say so so you will have their backing with you.

I'm so sad you're in this situation. Xxx

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and fallentopieces
Othermind

Othermind

-
Dec 26, 2018
New user here but longtime lurker. There's currently a thread from a few days ago asking the same thing but my question is slightly different.
I'm a female from the UK, if that means anything.

I feel at my lowest point right now. On the verge of seriously harming myself or doing something I'll regret. For the past few days I've been running out in front of cars trying to get hit (which is hideously selfish). But deep down I'm not ready to ctb yet. I don't think I'm safe by myself

I want to be in hospital because I know I won't do anything there BUT my problem is that I refuse to go to A+E for a mental health crisis. Have done this in the past and have been in a+e for a suicide attempt last year. The staff treat me horribly, are rude and dismissive, or speak to me like I'm a child that's fallen over and hurt my knee or something. Just two extremes that make me feel worse than I did before I went in.

I've been in the same hospital for a bad chest infection and the staff on that occasion were far more pleasant.

I want to be in hospital so I don't make a mistake but at the same time I just can't bring myself to go in for suicidal thoughts.

I was thinking of throwing myself down the stairs and hitting my head, but I just can't let myself fall due to instinct when I go to try and throw myself down.

I can't think of anything else that might result in an admission. Giving myself food poisoning would take too long to set in and isn't necessarily a guaranteed trip to hospital. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas. I know it's fucked up.

Please let me know if I'm posting in the wrong place, btw.
First of all, for the love of God do not self-harm and go to the ER 'cause that's a one way ticket to the psych ward.
Do you have family or friends that you could talk to and maybe stay at their house? You don't have to tell them everything, it's just to get you somewhere where you're not alone and can't do something you might regret.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, oneofthesedays and fallentopieces
F

fallentopieces

Jan 18, 2019
Hi @fallentopieces
I'm really sad that you had a bad experience last time you went to A & E with a mental health crisis. That's appalling and you have my sympathy xxx

They have no right to treat you with any disrespect - that sort of attitude is why we are failing to make progress in improving mental health problems in this country. Is there a different A & E you can go to? I don't know if you are in a large city with more than one hospital? Alternatively, call 111 and tell them you are suicidal then at least you will go through a pathway process to see a doctor and if you are directed to hospital it will be on their say so so you will have their backing with you.

I'm so sad you're in this situation. Xxx

Thank you so much for your response. I'm just so apprehensive to go to hospital at all because it really made me feel like shit the last time I was there. I think I maybe need to speak to a family member and ask if I can stay with them - someone like my grandparents who I know I would not harm myself around. I don't want to call 111 as I just have a barrier up from past experiences that's holding me back from asking to be somewhere where I'm kept safe. X

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and oneofthesedays
F

fallentopieces

Jan 18, 2019
First of all, for the love of God do not self-harm and go to the ER 'cause that's a one way ticket to the psych ward.
Do you have family or friends that you could talk to and maybe stay at their house? You don't have to tell them everything, it's just to get you somewhere where you're not alone and can't do something you might regret.

I live at home with my mum, things are a bit tense at the moment and if i tell her how i feel she will just take me to the hospital. i might speak to my grandparents and see if i can stay with them for a few days until this feeling passes. Thank you for your response, it means a lot

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, oneofthesedays and Deleted member 1768
Othermind

Othermind

-
Dec 26, 2018
i might speak to my grandparents and see if i can stay with them for a few days until this feeling passes.
That's really good, do that, anything to take the pressure off.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and oneofthesedays
J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
I live at home with my mum, things are a bit tense at the moment and if i tell her how i feel she will just take me to the hospital. i might speak to my grandparents and see if i can stay with them for a few days until this feeling passes. Thank you for your response, it means a lot

I'm sorry that things are tough for you, it's not a good place to be when you want to keep safe but it's hard as your family circumstances make you anxious. You strike me as very sensible and grounded and if you can get to your grandparents tomorrow and they will be loving and supportive then that would be really good for you.

I do understand about the whole hospital situation - it really feels like a lottery how you will get treated and a bad experience puts you right off. Totally not your fault, it shouldn't be that way at all and it makes me so cross for you xx

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, TheCrow and oneofthesedays