A

Amble part

Feb 22, 2019
Can a relative be arrested if I CTB and they knew of my depression but were not aware that I'd actually follow through with doing it? A relative I'm living with says that they could go to jail for neglecting my condition if i do it. To me this seems rather irrational and unheard of. It's my life; my choice. If i were to CTB why would some one close to me be legally penalized for my decision, especially since that decision has no effect on the person besides emotional and financial complications and suicide is not legally penalized in the state. I tried searching for the laws related to suicide in my state (Florida) but only found regulations to prevent suicide.
To offer more context: I'm not a citizen nor am I an illegal immigrant. I'm residing here on student visa and currently on medical leave from college.
I've never before heard of someone being arrested for some else's suicide unless they where deliberately helping the person to commit the act, but my relative does not want to help me CTB (unfortunately).
Any insight on the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Donewith_
SeekingSolace

SeekingSolace

‘The sleep of reason breeds monsters’ -Goya
Jan 28, 2019
I don't believe your relative would be prosecuted simply for their awareness of your depression.

Many people are depressed and don't commit suicide as a result. I don't believe they would be held liable.

Welcome to the community! ❤️

J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
I'm not sure that could be the case - otherwise every person who knew everyone was depressed would be prosecuted and that would mean an awful lot of paperwork and suchlike. However, I don't know whether there are specific rules for where you are or residency so it's hard to be 100% sure

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and SeekingSolace
color_me_gone

color_me_gone

Sun is rising
Dec 27, 2018
In the US, a person would not be held responsible for knowing a depressed person who ctb.
A person would be held responsible only if they were to aid you in your ctb.
So they can't help you ctb without getting into trouble.
They are either confused about the law, or are telling you that to discourage you.
I believe an act done in US would fall under US law, regardless of the person's citizenship.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and SeekingSolace