Q

QuietLake

May 11, 2022
This would be a small issue for many, especially for younger people who have more time and room to mess up. For me, though, it's a huge deal.

It took so much self-hyping just to apply, then to go to the interview, then to training, then my first day. Everything was mountainous for me. But I was finally getting somewhere.

Many things plagued me emotionally, as usual. Every time after work, I would analyze and criticize my interactions with others, sometimes for days. It was like mental torture, like when you have a tooth issue, so you keep playing with it with your tongue and can't focus on anything else. I'm just so not used to talking to people I don't know well. It's been so long and I was always terrible at it. With loved ones, I can check back, reassure myself that everything is well, but not with strangers. So I would just obsess instead. To everyone there, I probably came across as cringy and overly perky. I'm very awkward, that's basically objective fact.

In spite of all my issues, though, it was the perfect job for someone like me. There were many aspects of it that I really loved. I had confidence. I felt almost like a normal person. I felt independent. I worked the absolute hardest that I could. I bruised myself terribly, inside and out.

None of it matters. I'm incapable of handling the stress. I lack the conditioning of everyone else. I left them inconvenienced, so none of the work I did leading up to it matters. They will tell every other employer than I am weak-willed and unreliable, and they'd be right to do so. I deserve it. They were good enough to hire me, but I let everyone down.

I'll never get anywhere.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, αmber, AtMostOkay and 9 others
Chronic

Chronic

Jun 14, 2021
Sorry. I'm physically disabled and haven't worked in 14 years and miss it a lot. I can't get approved for disability either...it's been 4 years since I applied and will probably be another 2 years before I can get a court hearing on it and if I am denied again the appeal process will take another 2 or 3 years. Being abnormal sure sucks.

• Hugs
  • Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra, αmber, Dead Meat and 2 others
novem

novem

Experienced
May 9, 2022
keep trying
imagine your chances are very small this means you need to keep trying even more than everyone else, that what probability is about, i came to this conclision bc i am so scared to try and always fail but put not enough trial

• Love
Reactions: Dead Meat and QuietLake
Q

QuietLake

May 11, 2022
Sorry. I'm physically disabled and haven't worked in 14 years and miss it a lot. I can't get approved for disability either...it's been 4 years since I applied and will probably be another 2 years before I can get a court hearing on it and if I am denied again the appeal process will take another 2 or 3 years. Being abnormal sure sucks.
I'm really sorry you're going through that. The disability systems all sound hard and frustrating to navigate. The wait for things like that is horrible. I hate how impossible things can be in our society sometimes. I wish you the best of luck on your journey.

Thanks very much for the message. I really appreciate it.
keep trying
imagine your chances are very small this means you need to keep trying even more than everyone else, that what probability is about, i came to this conclision bc i am so scared to try and always fail but put not enough trial
That's a really nice message. Thank you very much for the advice. It's a good way of looking at it and it's true. I guess how I ended up here is because I haven't tried much until recently.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Dead Meat, Cathy Ames and Chronic
Chronic

Chronic

Jun 14, 2021
Appreciate your positivity during what is obviously a difficult time for you. Here is a link to my therapy resources in case it may be of help to you.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra, Dead Meat, Cathy Ames and 2 others
Q

QuietLake

May 11, 2022
Appreciate your positivity during what is obviously a difficult time for you. Here is a link to my therapy resources in case it may be of help to you.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate your kindness. It looks like a lot of really helpful info. I'm saving it.

• Hugs
Reactions: Chronic and Dead Meat
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I'm sorry that you are going through this. I know that it is dreadful when things just get worse, and I can imagine that it must be painful being in that situation. I wish you the best and I hope that you find relief from suffering.

• Love
Reactions: Chronic, QuietLake and Dead Meat
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
I don't know where I be if I didn't have my job. I understand some people are part of the anti-work movement and believe that being a wage slave is not a life worth living, but for me I view it as a means to an end to get something. I don't miss the 4 years I spent making pennies though, but those 4 years propelled me into the position I am in now where my wife can retire and we can still live comfortably. Our jobs and the people we interact with is like to me high school politics/drama. They won't know who you were a year from now when you apply somewhere else. If you get back in the job market, highlight your strengths and be honest with your weaknesses. Some companies will accommodate you and train you up. BTW, what field were you in?

• Love
Reactions: QuietLake and Dead Meat
Cathy Ames

Cathy Ames

Cautionary Tale
Mar 11, 2022
I don't know where I be if I didn't have my job. I understand some people are part of the anti-work movement and believe that being a wage slave is not a life worth living, but for me I view it as a means to an end to get something.

Seeing this, I am curious to know... It sounds like you are in a "career" type field of employment, likely with benefits on top of your salary? Have you ever (as an adult) worked for less than a living wage possibly without benefits and purposely kept below full time while also being required to be available for all shifts? I would guess that most people are talking about a situation similar to that (possibly differing in some of the particulars) when they speak of being a "wage slave" and state that their life is not living.

• Love
Reactions: QuietLake and Dead Meat
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
Seeing this, I am curious to know... It sounds like you are in a "career" type field of employment, likely with benefits on top of your salary? Have you ever (as an adult) worked for less than a living wage possibly without benefits and purposely kept below full time while also being required to be available for all shifts? I would guess that most people are talking about a situation similar to that (possibly differing in some of the particulars) when they speak of being a "wage slave" and state that their life is not living.
Yeah I never worked retail, and for good reason too.

• Love
Reactions: Cathy Ames and QuietLake
Q

QuietLake

May 11, 2022
I really appreciate the support. Thank you all very much for the messages, advice, and reactions. You're all really nice. You gave me some good perspective.

Work can be wonderful. I think I'm just my own worst enemy, to be cliche. I need better mental armor.

• Hugs
Reactions: Cathy Ames
LeavingEarly

LeavingEarly

Experienced
Mar 19, 2022
Why won't they approve you?

• Love
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra and QuietLake
Chronic

Chronic

Jun 14, 2021
Why won't they approve you?
It's a different excuse each time. Initially i was told there was no evidence to support my claims despite my submitting 300+ pages of medical records specific to my disability. Upon appeal SSA changed their reason and said it had to be severe within a specific timeframe so I once again re-submitted records that show 5 different doctors classified it as severe within the time frame they required...denied again and told it would have to go to court. Requested my records twice from SSA and they deny it with no response as to why i can't even get a copy of my records and they did nothing on my case during COVID and tried to blame me for not appealing, which I had, then was told I hadn't responded to mail they sent (to my address 3 moves ago) and I had to submit an explanation why my appeal should be considered so I did after they updated my address when I had already requested them to update my address several times and it was correct in the SSA tool online but not in the local system. SSA keeps sending forms and notices every few weeks requiring me to fill something out or they will drop my case. When I initially applied my lawyer said that SSA was denying all applicants under 50 years old and sending them to a judge for decision and that the process takes at least 3 years. COVID added a couple years onto my case and everyone I talk to uses that as an excuse. Even still with coronavirus restrictions easing, hearings are via phone or video chat and they continue to use COVID as an excuse for delays...if I did not consent to a remote hearing then I was informed my hearing would be delayed indefinitely until the social security agency resumes in person court which I was told could be a couple more years. Their tactic is deny, delay, deceive. Essentially I am suing the federal government for disability and they are doing everything possible to dismiss my case instead of abide by the law and intent of the program. I could go on and on but I think I summarized it as best I can. Doctors being unable to properly diagnose my condition, multiple moves (since it has to be transferred to a different regional office with each move out of state), coronavirus, and other things have added to the problem. Dealing with social security is like the movie "ground hog day"...it's the same nonsense over and over.

Anyway, I didn't mean to make this about me and detract from the OP. We've all got issues (or multiple issues) that have caused us to join this site.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra, LeavingEarly and QuietLake