BerryCakes

BerryCakes

Local Case Study
Sep 20, 2020
I've already made a thread about my ex, so I won't repeat that story here, but it is an example of what I'm talking about.

Another instance of this is the cat that stays around the homeless shelter I've been sleeping at. She has no proper place to sleep and was ridden with fleas before I stepped in and bought medication for her. Frankly, it's not really a good idea for her to be loitering around outside much longer. Not only is it risky to her health due to parasites and other animals, but a lot of the tenants here smoke. Don't ask me how they afford it because I have no idea.

I've been having conflicted feelings about giving her up to a shelter, though. I've been trying to find if there's a way I can keep her myself (like staying at a pet-friendly shelter, using vet services that are offered to low income individuals, etc.) but I haven't come up with much luck. I'm currently in the East Bay area of California, and I'm starting to think I might have to move to SoCal for there to even remotely be a chance that this can work (not that I necessarily mind moving)...

The writing on the wall is pretty clear, though. I'll most likely have to give her up to a shelter so she can have a stable place to live, get food, etc. I just wish I could afford to take care of her. She deserves a happy, healthy life. Not one like this.

It's like... I don't really have a reason to live anymore, y'know? It's all gone.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: ocd is bad, ecmnesia, XYZ and 5 others
R

rt1989526

Paragon
Aug 2, 2020
You are a good person for taking care of the cat and I'm sorry this has happened to you. I've never been homeless but might be soon which is why I must ctb. I can't imagine what its like. What are the shelters there like? They provide beds and food I take it? Do they have wifi? Haha

Wishing you the best my friend. I also have no reason to live and will hopefully be out of this miserable hell hole soon.

• Hugs
Reactions: ecmnesia, Deleted member 4993 and BerryCakes
BerryCakes

BerryCakes

Local Case Study
Sep 20, 2020
You are a good person for taking care of the cat and I'm sorry this has happened to you. I've never been homeless but might be soon which is why I must ctb. I can't imagine what its like. What are the shelters there like? They provide beds and food I take it? Do they have wifi? Haha

Wishing you the best my friend. I also have no reason to live and will hopefully be out of this miserable hell hole soon.
Thank you. I'm sorry you're suffering.

Yes, they provide beds, food, and Wi-Fi. The quality of a homeless shelter varies a lot more than one might expect. The one I'm staying at seems to be a very middle of the road sort of deal. It's a very small place without much privacy, but there are shelters out there that have seperate rooms for each person/family group. Getting into one of the fancy ones seems difficult, though. Either you have to be lucky and/or obtain the right contacts/recommendations.

I wish you the best in all of this.

• Love
Reactions: rt1989526
R

rt1989526

Paragon
Aug 2, 2020
So what is your next move? How long can you stay at the shelter?

Reactions: BerryCakes
BerryCakes

BerryCakes

Local Case Study
Sep 20, 2020
So what is your next move? How long can you stay at the shelter?
Well, I've only been here a month, but there are some people who've been here for a year or more. I don't think time is really against me in this scenario, but it is for the cat. I'll be needing to get her cleaned up and taken to a vet. Her ear is clipped, which implies she was NTR, but I'm not certain if she's been vaccinated or not. I'll keep looking for a little while longer and talk to any social workers I can about this, but I can't really guarantee she'll end up mine. I just hope she doesn't have problems getting adopted, if that ends up being the case. I'd rather she not be put down needlessly. Then again, maybe I'm selfish for thinking that, I don't know.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Blueman
T

tidalwxves

Student
Sep 8, 2020
I've already made a thread about my ex, so I won't repeat that story here, but it is an example of what I'm talking about.

Another instance of this is the cat that stays around the homeless shelter I've been sleeping at. She has no proper place to sleep and was ridden with fleas before I stepped in and bought medication for her. Frankly, it's not really a good idea for her to be loitering around outside much longer. Not only is it risky to her health due to parasites and other animals, but a lot of the tenants here smoke. Don't ask me how they afford it because I have no idea.

I've been having conflicted feelings about giving her up to a shelter, though. I've been trying to find if there's a way I can keep her myself (like staying at a pet-friendly shelter, using vet services that are offered to low income individuals, etc.) but I haven't come up with much luck. I'm currently in the East Bay area of California, and I'm starting to think I might have to move to SoCal for there to even remotely be a chance that this can work (not that I necessarily mind moving)...

The writing on the wall is pretty clear, though. I'll most likely have to give her up to a shelter so she can have a stable place to live, get food, etc. I just wish I could afford to take care of her. She deserves a happy, healthy life. Not one like this.

It's like... I don't really have a reason to live anymore, y'know? It's all gone.
I'm so sorry to hear this, I really hope you can keep this cat if the cat brings you joy.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and BerryCakes