Freedom Believer

Freedom Believer

Forever alone.
Dec 23, 2019
What the fuck am I doing wrong? College is going smoothly and my path is clear to get my associates degree for English and then lo and behold my Dad comes in and says, "oh by the way, when you go to real college, you're going for accounting". WHAT THE FUCK! WHAT AM I DOING MY CLASSES FOR WHEN HALF OF MY CREDITS WON'T COUNT WHEN I GO TO MY COLLEGE?! I don't know if he's having a bad day or something but this is really ruined my week for me. At this point, I want this country to collapse. I don't want to go through this shit anymore.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: pole, Lostandlooking, WaaaghEnjoyer and 3 others
domedune

domedune

the stars will aid my escape
Dec 18, 2019
What? Are there consequences for not listening to him?

Reactions: vold3m0r†
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I'm sorry you are going through this, it sounds really frustrating. Life really can be tiring. I wish you well.

Reactions: Freedom Believer and Lostandlooking
Alwaysbadtime

Alwaysbadtime

Enlightened
Jun 28, 2021
I was an English degree. It was a mistake for me. It only led to teaching and that was miserable. This is just my experience.

What do you want to do with an English degree?

Last edited:
Freedom Believer

Freedom Believer

Forever alone.
Dec 23, 2019
I was an English degree. It was a mistake for me. It only led to teaching and that was miserable. This is just my experience.

What do you want to do with an English degree?
Marketing, writing, or community PR, I feel like there's a lot an English degree can do, despite what some might say. Something in the entertainment industry, consumerism in the entertainment industry (gaming or tv/film) is constant and increasing so that's something I want to get into. Some jobs don't even need a specific degree, just wanting someone with a bachelor's degree.

Alwaysbadtime

Alwaysbadtime

Enlightened
Jun 28, 2021
Marketing, writing, or community PR, I feel like there's a lot an English degree can do, despite what some might say. Something in the entertainment industry, consumerism in the entertainment industry (gaming or tv/film) is constant and increasing so that's something I want to get into. Some jobs don't even need a specific degree, just wanting someone with a bachelor's degree.
I hope you get some dynamic internships then while in college. Film requires education and experience etc. I relate to your desires to branch out...but truthfully English degrees are not very respected. Again...my experience and looking at posts on Reddit of people with English degrees struggling.

Good luck. Marketing requires a marketing degree/experience. Writing requires a degree/experience. Community PR requires degree/experience. Gaming/film- experience/training. I don't know what jobs you see that just require a degree, are well-paying and lucrative.

I think your dad is just being realistic. Reading a bunch of novels, taking film appreciation classes and writing a bunch of papers is not going to alone qualify you for shit. Sorry.

Last edited:
Freedom Believer

Freedom Believer

Forever alone.
Dec 23, 2019
I hope you get some dynamic internships then while in college. Film requires education and experience etc. I relate to your desires to branch out...but truthfully English degrees are not very respected. Again...my experience and looking at posts on Reddit of people with English degrees struggling.

Good luck. Marketing requires a marketing degree/experience. Writing requires a degree/experience. Community PR requires degree/experience. Gaming/film- experience/training. I don't know what jobs you see that just require a degree, are well-paying and lucrative.

I think your dad is just being realistic. Reading a bunch of novels, taking film appreciation classes and writing a bunch of papers is not going to alone qualify you for shit. Sorry.
I get it and it's not his fault, he wants a job that pays well, but if he looked at what is happening he needs to realize the bigger issue. A lot of graduates from all degrees are struggling. Even with lucrative ones like STEM degrees, those are being outsourced overseas and the jobs remaining have left those with qualifications that none/few can meet because most have just graduated or have not been given experience because there are no entry level jobs for their degrees. I think that in lies the problem with college as a whole in the US is that few can get jobs out of college without internships or pulling strings because there are few entry level jobs for graduates to obtain because they're not willing to train or don't care; it's causing a domino effect becoming more apparent every day.

• Love
Reactions: patheticpartner
Alwaysbadtime

Alwaysbadtime

Enlightened
Jun 28, 2021
I get it and it's not his fault, he wants a job that pays well, but if he looked at what is happening he needs to realize the bigger issue. A lot of graduates from all degrees are struggling. Even with lucrative ones like STEM degrees, those are being outsourced overseas and the jobs remaining have left those with qualifications that none/few can meet because most have just graduated or have not been given experience because there are no entry level jobs for their degrees. I think that in lies the problem with college as a whole in the US is that few can get jobs out of college without internships or pulling strings because there are few entry level jobs for graduates to obtain because they're not willing to train or don't care; it's causing a domino effect becoming more apparent every day.
I hear what you are saying and I agree. I check on Unemployed on Reddit and it is a shit-show. Exactly what you describe only more dire.

It sounds like you have a lot of interests sort of beyond what the English degree constitutes. I really am jaded, but I think also in the know in regards to what I said. If you struggle at math accounting will be impossiblle.

Like I said: how will you get the jobs you mentioned with just an English BA? I will never forget a professor in walking said that an English degree will get you a job at McDonalds. I went the teacher route and it was a disaster. I'm just trying to prevent you from making a mistake.

Freedom Believer

Freedom Believer

Forever alone.
Dec 23, 2019
I hear what you are saying and I agree. I check on Unemployed on Reddit and it is a shit-show. Exactly what you describe only more dire.

It sounds like you have a lot of interests sort of beyond what the English degree constitutes. I really am jaded, but I think also in the know in regards to what I said. If you struggle at math accounting will be impossiblle.

Like I said: how will you get the jobs you mentioned with just an English BA? I will never forget a professor in walking said that an English degree will get you a job at McDonalds. I went the teacher route and it was a disaster. I'm just trying to prevent you from making a mistake.
Yeah, I have interests, as described above, but writing has been the only one I've been successful in. People like reading my story, and even if it isn't from an original work, and my Dad was proud of that...until now. Sure, I WAS good at math (I got an A in Calculus 1 no sweat) but I haven't taken a math class since 2018, I don't know if I would be able to be that good again.

I guess that in lies the problem is that dad saw all the grades I got in high school and equaled that into thinking that accounting is best since it's needed all the time and would pay well even if the job itself doesn't appeal to me. Tiger Parenting 101. I was able to find some jobs in my suburban area (some were teaching jobs but I don't count those) that needed an English degree (one was even 90,000), but it all goes back to the heart of the problem: "MUST NEED EXPERIENCE!" When I filtered for "Entry-Level" I got one or two that weren't a teaching job and that was it.

Alwaysbadtime

Alwaysbadtime

Enlightened
Jun 28, 2021
Yeah, I have interests, as described above, but writing has been the only one I've been successful in. People like reading my story, and even if it isn't from an original work, and my Dad was proud of that...until now. Sure, I WAS good at math (I got an A in Calculus 1 no sweat) but I haven't taken a math class since 2018, I don't know if I would be able to be that good again.

I guess that in lies the problem is that dad saw all the grades I got in high school and equaled that into thinking that accounting is best since it's needed all the time and would pay well even if the job itself doesn't appeal to me. Tiger Parenting 101. I was able to find some jobs in my suburban area (some were teaching jobs but I don't count those) that needed an English degree (one was even 90,000), but it all goes back to the heart of the problem: "MUST NEED EXPERIENCE!" When I filtered for "Entry-Level" I got one or two that weren't a teaching job and that was it.
If you are good at math I would try to go into nursing school. I think nursing is the only field really not difficult to get into with the degree. I used to enjoy writing too. An MFA was once joked to me as a mother fucking associates. I think if accounting depresses you it won't work out.

Yes unfortunatly experience is key and it's hard to get. I honestly don't know what to advise other than the trepidation for just an English degree. I once heard law schools like English degrees as it says one can read well and write papers.

Good luck!

Freedom Believer

Freedom Believer

Forever alone.
Dec 23, 2019
If you are good at math I would try to go into nursing school. I think nursing is the only field really not difficult to get into with the degree. I used to enjoy writing too. An MFA was once joked to me as a mother fucking associates. I think if accounting depresses you it won't work out.

Yes unfortunatly experience is key and it's hard to get. I honestly don't know what to advise other than the trepidation for just an English degree. I once heard law schools like English degrees as it says one can read well and write papers.

Good luck!
Thank you!

• Love
Reactions: Alwaysbadtime
Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
Accounting is no guarantee of stability in the workforce. Companies hire and fire as their profit levels change. One must pay top staff and investors. When you get older there are cheaper graduates to do your job and one day they will set you free.
If you get the English major, make sure you learn grant writing for non-profits. There are never enough people to do that. A back-up career is a good thing.
Good luck.

• Love
Reactions: Freedom Believer