T

TimeToBiteTheDust

Visionary
Nov 7, 2019
I hate when people say we suicidals have a weak and unstable mind. Wish they were on our shoes and see what they say.

• Hugs
Reactions: SingleSeraph, NekoNomNom, crybaby and 9 others
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
Weakness of the mind is a ridiculous concept. It works well as a loose metaphor to compare mental battles to physical ones, but the mind doesn't have an actual strength like a muscle. Your willpower as a person is determined by a whole bunch of complicated shit, and having a weaker will doesn't always mean you'll be depressed or suicidal. This feels like some dumb shit people say to quickly brush or suicidal thoughts.

Reactions: Linda, Bct, Maximoo and 5 others
Saed

Saed

Nondescript
Apr 21, 2020
Yes. I also balk at the phrase "Chose to take their own life when of an unsound mind"

Reactions: Sprite_Geist, Linda and Lost in a Dream
Chiyuki99

Chiyuki99

a nightmare dressed like a daydream
May 28, 2019
If they were in our shoes then they would understand that it is them who are weak and not us. We are all exceptionally strong and brave humans. Strong, because after all the pain life has thrown our way we are still here and fighting for a way out. Brave, because some of us face life even though it is horrible and others are brave and smile into the face of death, "greeting death as an old friend".

• Love
Reactions: serah, Deleted member 14573, Maximoo and 1 other person
F

faraway_beach

Seawater and stardust
Dec 30, 2019
I think a truly weak mind would give in to social pressure to stay alive. It takes strength of will to defy both society and self-preservation instinct.

• Love
Reactions: Wisdom3_1-9, Bct, Maximoo and 3 others
suffering

suffering

Too p*ssy to end it, too suicidal to leave
Aug 17, 2018
They are probably projecting their own weakness for refusing to understand this world as it is. It takes strength to admit that life is not worth it.

• Love
Reactions: Ybother, KLUF, Bct and 5 others
P

Pan

Paragon
Oct 24, 2019
If anything, folks who consider ctb or follow through are not weak of mind—it takes great strength and mental courage.

• Love
Reactions: Ybother, serah, Linda and 4 others
BridgeJumper

BridgeJumper

The Arsonist
Apr 7, 2019
Tbh I feel weak of mind for NOT being able to commit suicide.
Overcoming survival instinct and inflicting death on yourself takes some serious courage

Things like this being said piss me off so much, but I try to rationalize that most of these people have never been depressed so they dont have an idea

Reactions: Bct, ITryHard, suffering and 1 other person
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
It's incredibly ignorant for people (especially pro-lifers, anti-choicers, suicide-preventionists) to call people who attempt or actually CTB "weak of mind". This is because it requires tremendous courage to overcome the SI, the amount of planning, acquiring said method and materials, all under the nose of the people around them takes a lot of effort.

Reactions: Ybother, Bct, suffering and 1 other person
E

ebt88

Student
Jun 11, 2020
May not be true for every case, but surely it's true for some proportion.

L

Living_Hurts_so_Much

Experienced
Jul 30, 2020
We are all much stronger than society in general will ever know. We talk openly about something they only skirt around and will never fully understand.

• Love
Reactions: Linda and suffering
R

Red Dog

Jul 22, 2020
In the UK it goes like this...It's clear that the balance of the mind was disturbed....and my response is ...then who or what disturbed that 'balance'? But for some reason no-one asks that question ...ever.

Reactions: Wisdom3_1-9
CarbonMonoxide

CarbonMonoxide

Marejeo ni ngamani
Oct 13, 2019
I hate to say this but in my view it's relative to your circumstances. Take for example someone like me with a wife and a kid. If I was strong of mind, wouldn't I push myself to overcome my urge to ctb and take care of them? Is a man who abandons his family strong?

Sure, there's another way to look at it, this man has a mental problem that makes him super paranoid and thus miserable in social and other situations. However, social anxiety is medically manageable. If this man fails to try all the alternatives and still kills himself, he's abandoning his young family. Is he still strong of mind? Am I?

• Hugs
Reactions: Wisdom3_1-9
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
Suicide is often a rational response to a person's situation. However, it can also be an irrational response, e.g. if a person is facing difficulties that are only temporary, and in those cases I don't think it is a good thing. This doesn't seem like a black-and-white matter to me.

Reactions: Brink and Wisdom3_1-9
SoIntoYou

SoIntoYou

Pillowman
Jul 9, 2020
The mind is much more fragile than people think. Also, take anybody and put them through the same experiences, they will break too.

Reactions: Living_Hurts_so_Much
LostandTired

LostandTired

Jul 24, 2020
Quite the opposite. Once my decision was made, my mind had a clarity of purpose and serene calmness. Something not felt in a long long time. The irony of it was not lost on me...to feel alive again for that brief moment after deciding to end it yourself.

Reactions: taylor321
MeriDeath

MeriDeath

Im on the edge of reality
May 10, 2020
Let me put it simple: dont give a single fuck about them.

Seriously were not in this stage anymore where we should listen to what pro lifers say, or anyone in general.

Be focused, goal driven. Think about you wanting to ctb which is bad enough already, you dont need them on your back as well.and also just to be sure that you know: you are NOT weak. Youve decided not to suffer anymore. All good. Who said being alive is a bravery? What is "weak" even? Just forget about them. Peace

Reactions: Despairing and Living_Hurts_so_Much
clearing eyes

clearing eyes

femboy hooters employee of the month
Jul 23, 2019
i don't understand the desire people in this world have to "prove" how brave and strong they are. why does accepting the brutality life has to offer make you better? i think it's best to escape while we can.

Reactions: Partial-Elf and Living_Hurts_so_Much
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
I hate when people say we suicidals have a weak and unstable mind. Wish they were on our shoes and see what they say.
It just shows lack of empathy and inability to imagine the world from a different perspective. It shows lack of imagination.

What they do is imagine themselves in the situation of the suicidal, with their 'stable' minds, 'normal' upbringing, drive, ambition etc, then assume that only an unstable, weak person would deal with those problems/situations in terms of ctb, based on their own limited perspective.
They forget that everyone has a different mental makeup, different upbringing, different emotional reactions to things, different life experiences.

When people say that, or things similar to that, it actually shows how shallow and narcissistic and egotistical they really are.

Reactions: Partial-Elf and Living_Hurts_so_Much
R

rt1989526

Paragon
Aug 2, 2020
Having Borderline Personality disorder, its been proven certain regions of brains like mine are smaller and bigger than normal, for example the region that regulates emotion. I have an overactive amygdala which basically means I feel things way more strongly than normal folks do. It is absolute hell, and Ive had enough.