Menschenmühle

Menschenmühle

Jan 21, 2022
I failed every aspect of my life. Whether it concerned academic, social, or emotional life, I've been nothing but a complete failure.
Everyday I'm reminded of my mediocrity, of the fact that there are people who are just inherently smarter and more capable than me. No matter how much I try, how much effort and dedication I put in, there are stages I'll never reach, people that I'll never be comparable to.
Intelligence is mostly an inherited trait. If you have enough of it, then life becomes a whole lot easier. I don't deny that hard work plays its role, however it can only get you so far. Hard work makes it possible to reach your potential, but nothing higher than it. Let's say someone has an IQ between 100 and 120. If he puts in enough effort, he can reach an IQ of 120, but never something higher, for that is his potential, his limit.
I despise the fact that life depends on so much luck, on forces outside of our control. It's not just intelligence either, luck plays its role as well as in looks, height, geographical location, financial situation, etc...
No matter how much ambitious or driven someone is, there are factors, instances of complete randomness that can make his life insufferable. Take for example a dreamy child, that one day gets his life crushed by a cancer diagnosis. I know this is an extreme example, but I just wanted to demonstrate how life doesn't depend on our wills.
All of these facts leave me in a state of utter hopelessness. I just want to stop existing so I can just forget this lamentable laughable excuse of a life. At least when I'm dead and gone, it would be as if I haven't lived at all, and that way, I can forget all of my frustrations, all of my failures.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: ReflectionOfTrauma, charlotte_, Forever Sleep and 8 others
S

Sledge

Sep 3, 2022
I totally understand what you mean in relation to how much of life is down to luck. it is frustrating. have you actually tested your IQ though? You can do quite a lot with an IQ of 100 for instance though, you'll just have to work hard at uni/higher education.

D

Dayrain

Arcanist
Feb 3, 2023
@Menschenmühle What's your username about?

H

hopeless87

Mar 17, 2023
I feel the same way, I am about to be homeless because of it. I'm hoping to ctb before I become homeless.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: LittleBlackCat and not-2-b-the-answer
Rational man

Rational man

Enlightened
Oct 19, 2021
I failed every aspect of my life. Whether it concerned academic, social, or emotional life, I've been nothing but a complete failure.
Everyday I'm reminded of my mediocrity, of the fact that there are people who are just inherently smarter and more capable than me. No matter how much I try, how much effort and dedication I put in, there are stages I'll never reach, people that I'll never be comparable to.
Intelligence is mostly an inherited trait. If you have enough of it, then life becomes a whole lot easier. I don't deny that hard work plays its role, however it can only get you so far. Hard work makes it possible to reach your potential, but nothing higher than it. Let's say someone has an IQ between 100 and 120. If he puts in enough effort, he can reach an IQ of 120, but never something higher, for that is his potential, his limit.
I despise the fact that life depends on so much luck, on forces outside of our control. It's not just intelligence either, luck plays its role as well as in looks, height, geographical location, financial situation, etc...
No matter how much ambitious or driven someone is, there are factors, instances of complete randomness that can make his life insufferable. Take for example a dreamy child, that one day gets his life crushed by a cancer diagnosis. I know this is an extreme example, but I just wanted to demonstrate how life doesn't depend on our wills.
All of these facts leave me in a state of utter hopelessness. I just want to stop existing so I can just forget this lamentable laughable excuse of a life. At least when I'm dead and gone, it would be as if I haven't lived at all, and that way, I can forget all of my frustrations, all of my failures.
sorry to hear about the pain you have. I.often felt this way until i accepted theres little I can do because i was handed the card of dysfunctional family and.narcissistic parents. To add, now im.struck down with disease. I no longer say ' why me' because i know it could happen to anyone and it does. Life is full of unexpected shit. Its random and chaotic,xso really the only person.who can.judge you is you!. What's your benchmark for success?.

• Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I think the fact that chance so cruelly determines everything, and how existence is so cruel and random is certainly a reason as to why people shouldn't procreate. There is far too much undeserved suffering in this hellish world, having the ability to exist here certainly is a curse to me especially as existing can get so unbearable beyond how we can even imagine.

• Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
unnormal9

unnormal9

SOLDIER T.
Apr 12, 2023
Stupid is subjective.

Reactions: Rational man
B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
Sure so first of all failing doesn't mean you are stupid. Many many smart people failed. In fact it's nearly a common theme. There's also the Dunning Krueger effect where smart people believe they are dumb and vice versa.

Furthermore, IQ can change but it's relatively static. You can't go from an i.q. of 100 e.g. average to 120 which is top 10% or so of the population. I.Q. is important but it's not definitive. IQ measures how fast you think and not the quality of your thoughts. Many other things are more important. For instance your EQ. In today's world it is far more important to be able to talk to people. Guess what IQ generally starts to harm EQ at a certain point as in they are negatively correlated. Which makes sense.

All of that said I don't have a rosy picture to paint for you. I'm not sure if I'm smart dumb or in between. My story is posted in places I went to medical school was the victim of crimes by the school, and my family(who are successful my parents are millionaires multiple times over for instance) cut me out of their lives. Im for all intents and purposes homeless. My career at this point is reduced to working manual labor factory jobs. Whether my fault or not I lost everything in my life. As hard as someone can fail in life I have. When push comes to shove I'm not to blame for being a victim of a crime but I am to blame for not creating a support system who cared. Maybe that's impossible given my nature maybe it isn't. What I do know is you probably aren't in as bad of a position as me. You probably have some reason to stay on the right side of the ground. Life requires a lot including luck. Mine ran out hopefully yours hasn't. I'm not sure what the point of this was but I hope it helps. If you want to talk or anything reach out.

Reactions: Archness
F

Fish Face

Student
Apr 19, 2019
You put together a perfectly worded, perfected spelt message and used perfect grammar. I cannot possibly believe you are stupid. You seem extremely intellegent.

Archness

Archness

Defective Personel
Jan 20, 2023
Stupid is subjective.
Being smart is subjective, being right is subjective. The earth being flat is equally as right and true as it being round.
You put together a perfectly worded, perfected spelt message and used perfect grammar. I cannot possibly believe you are stupid. You seem extremely intellegent.
"Extremely intelligent" for just knowing spelling and grammar? extreme intellect?

Honestly @Menschenmühle 's post is still quite above-100 IQ with that post still. People's limits, understanding, self awareness, etc. It's all very smart, But I should know smartness and intelligence isn't as simple as a numerical variable.

It really sucks being intelligent, but seeing I might as well be outright stupid; because my brain's still defective. I'm a decent writer, but it's so difficult: Knowing what I should write in the first place, the dedication, focus, revisions, all the thinking, etc. I don't really even have the mental energy to do it most of the time now. I might as well be mediocre, hell, that's really what I am, these subtle mistakes and imperfections, I know they're there but can't really do anything without wasting time and effort ineffectively.

This work and practice just for the limit so close. I could see myself there but I am here. These limits are what really matters. What you could do, doesn't matter when you can go further, but limits box you in.

People always talk about "pushing past your limits", but you never encounter a limit until it's too late.

Smart enough to know your dumb, but limits too low to do anything. That specific spot of intelligent is unbearable. All these limits I have in simular placess really make me wish to ctb.

[I could make a better post here but I'm gonna go to bed after finishing this sentence.]

Reactions: limerance1
J

jorheslen428

May 4, 2023
Higher intelligence is correlated with higher rates of depression. People think smart people have it easier but that's not the case.

unnormal9

unnormal9

SOLDIER T.
Apr 12, 2023
Being smart is subjective, being right is subjective. The earth being flat is equally as right and true as it being round.
Being ignorant is subjective.
Higher intelligence is correlated with higher rates of depression. People think smart people have it easier but that's not the case.

No shit, hence the term "nerd' "dweeb".

Archness

Archness

Defective Personel
Jan 20, 2023
Being ignorant is subjective.
I was kinda harsh cuz the assertion "Stupid is subjective" could be seen as objectively stupid /w my interpretation/usage of "subjective", and/or worldview.
I really am ignorant of whatever behind those words, others may have a simular interpritation to me, but didn't bother to mention it.

T

Tuurngait

May 4, 2023
I don't think there are any hard limits or measures like IQ that "cap" a person's intellect. I particularly hate IQ tests because they do just that.

With hard work and determination you really do become better at things, that said, I do believe people have innate attributes that they are better with. I'm great with the law for example, quite good with writing and things like history but had to work incredibly hard to do well at maths and science (so I dropped them as soon as I could to go the other way). Before law, I wanted to do medicine, but my natural attributes did incline me to head more to law. I'm glad I did though because I realised I actually loved law and the intricacies of it, my now favourite part being Medical Law; all came full circle.

That said, I do have to work hard to keep improving my ability with regards to law et al. I was born with the capacity to do well at it, but had to work hard to really do well at it. As I practice more and more I'll only do better and better. I don't think I'll ever hit a "cap" with my ability in that regard, because
I suppose the hard part, and the part a lot of people struggle with, is working out what is truly your "calling," I consider myself lucky that I recognised that I worked waaaay too hard in science and maths for the same results as in the opposite types of subjects, so I honed my expectations. I'd surely never have been able to cut the cloth to do medicine, it just simply wasn't within my skills. Does that make me stupid? I wouldn't say so, because there will be countless doctors who couldn't do what I can do, vice versa. To be fair, modern society is pretty inclined to pushing kids into set categories, forcing them to do subjects and placing the expectation that anything other than STEM for example leads to failure. This creates a lot of miserable people that work so hard to do things they are likely just not great at, rather than things they are probably amazing at but haven't realised yet or feel too guilty to work at.

I do agree that random factors unrelated to intellect, like your cancer example, are really fucked. It's always in the back of my head that one day I could just develop cancer for no fault of my own, or any other completely random thing. Quite scary and horrifying - it does get to the extent where I every so often consider that I may as well just kill myself to never have to worry about that and "beat it to it." I wouldn't though, but I have thought about it.