Throwawaysoul

Throwawaysoul

Wizard
May 14, 2018
I'm not going to use media savvy generational buzz words to describe their age, because that's over fucking played.

I'm not sure how someone in their twenty's has enough life experience to help someone in there forties. How is this even a good idea? Even a therapist without children helping someone with children isn't a good idea. Meh.

• Love
Reactions: Life+me=error, Circles, catbirb and 7 others
M

mediocre

trapped here
Nov 9, 2019
I can relate I've had support workers that are younger than me though only by a few years. It would make me uncomfortable when they would try to help me and give me advice.

Reactions: Circles, Final Escape and Throwawaysoul
Hexen

Hexen

Student
Aug 12, 2019
Exactly

Reactions: Circles and Final Escape
SoupSnakes

SoupSnakes

Experienced
Nov 11, 2019
You have to remember that it's not all about life experience. They've still done adequate training.
I used to have people say this about me all the time, my response would always be "I might be young but I've still done the training and have the experience to save your fucking child".

It might be annoying but their age doesn't mean that they cannot help you.

Reactions: charlie_z, Circles, SinisterKid and 2 others
J

jgm63

Visionary
Oct 28, 2019
There are different factors here.....
Some young people can be quite wise, since they may be "mature souls".
However, I don't know whether that applies to this particular case ?

Nonetheless, there is also something to be said for worldly experience, which can accumulate with age.....

So it depends.....

They might be okay, or they might not.....

Have you had any sessions with them yet ?

If so, how did you find them ?
If not, well, perhaps see how it goes ?

Reactions: Circles
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
I'm not going to use media savvy generational buzz words to describe their age, because that's over fucking played.

I'm not sure how someone in their twenty's has enough life experience to help someone in there forties. How is this even a good idea? Even a therapist without children helping someone with children isn't a good idea. Meh.
Lol! You're right, you're like this huge challenge for that poor inexperienced kid. Is this a state funded therapy or did u actually pick out this therapist privately? It's not that it can't work I guess but yea I would imagine someone with a bit more life experience would be better.

Reactions: Circles and FTL.Wanderer
Throwawaysoul

Throwawaysoul

Wizard
May 14, 2018
There are different factors here.....
Some young people can be quite wise, since they may be "mature souls".
However, I don't know whether that applies to this particular case ?

Nonetheless, there is also something to be said for worldly experience, which can accumulate with age.....

So it depends.....

They might be okay, or they might not.....

Have you had any sessions with them yet ?

If so, how did you find them ?
If not, well, perhaps see how it goes ?

I'm giving them a few more sessions, I wont get meds if I don't.

Is this a state funded therapy or did u actually pick out this therapist privately?

The place accepts my state insurance. I definitely wouldn't have picked them otherwise.

Reactions: Circles and Final Escape
passenger27

passenger27

In my beginning is my end.
Aug 25, 2019
My last therapist was probably in middle school when I 1st started therapy. Very awkward.

Reactions: Circles, Moony21, FTL.Wanderer and 1 other person
L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
I'll criticize the whole therapeutic stuff but age isn't a factor.

Reactions: Circles
azucaramargo

azucaramargo

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2018
I once was in this boat. A university hospital in a southern state...this young resident was assigned to me. Like @Throwawaysoul said, this young chippy was a necessary evil if I wanted my meds.

Come New Year's Eve I found myself on the same dance floor with this doc & it was very uncomfortable to do that whole ignoring-each-other protocol that is the norm when one sees one's mental-health practitioners in public. Also, it felt like a very small-town scenario: seeing the gatekeeper to your scrips grinding against some dude. I no like-a small towns.

k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019

Are you me??

My last therapist was exactly this. She was 25, which I could have maybe overlooked if she hadn't also just been extremely inexperienced. My case is way too complex for a brand new therapist. She couldn't relate to me at all, and she gave me a lot of dangerously bad advice. She easily could have killed me with her BS.

You have to remember that it's not all about life experience. They've still done adequate training.
I used to have people say this about me all the time, my response would always be "I might be young but I've still done the training and have the experience to save your fucking child".

It might be annoying but their age doesn't mean that they cannot help you.

Of course, not every young therapist is bad. Some people have an aptitude for it. But sometimes they can't help. Mine couldn't. She absolutely did not have enough training and in my opinion, should not have been seeing clients. And I'm the worst kind of client to give to a brand new therapist, anyway.

The best thing she said to me was that she didn't know why I felt the way I do, but I should go online and ask for tips.

Reactions: Throwawaysoul
SoupSnakes

SoupSnakes

Experienced
Nov 11, 2019
Are you me??

My last therapist was exactly this. She was 25, which I could have maybe overlooked if she hadn't also just been extremely inexperienced. My case is way too complex for a brand new therapist. She couldn't relate to me at all, and she gave me a lot of dangerously bad advice. She easily could have killed me with her BS.

Of course, not every young therapist is bad. Some people have an aptitude for it. But sometimes they can't help. Mine couldn't. She absolutely did not have enough training and in my opinion, should not have been seeing clients. And I'm the worst kind of client to give to a brand new therapist, anyway.

The best thing she said to me was that she didn't know why I felt the way I do, but I should go online and ask for tips.

I can understand this, yes you should definitely pick and choose clients at first but then if they never see patients, how do they ever learn? They have to see the difficult people at some point otherwise they'll never get experience.

k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I can understand this, yes you should definitely pick and choose clients at first but then if they never see patients, how do they ever learn? They have to see the difficult people at some point otherwise they'll never get experience.
Yes, but... All I'm saying is you probably shouldn't throw a suicidal cancer survivor with PTSD at a very inexperienced clinician right off the bat. It's setting both parties up for major failure. She's no longer working there and only lasted about three months, and I believe this is probably part of the reason.

Reactions: Throwawaysoul