RetroChaos

RetroChaos

Still heartbroken.
Dec 21, 2021
Title kinda says it all.

Been super down for years but only only started taking about suicide openly since my girlfriend left me over a year ago now.

My parents offered to get me a dog for companionship and now I'm conflicted.

I don't want to be here anymore, especially without my ex and she continues to hurt me, but I'm now stuck caring for something I kinda jumped on to give me purpose in life which yet again doesn't seem to be working.

I'm at a loss, what should I do?

• Hugs
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, waitingforrest, BitterlyAlive_ and 3 others
S

som1

Dec 22, 2021
U can find him a new home if you don't want to take care of him.

Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, RetroChaos and Crazy4u
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
You don't have to stay alive for a dog if you can't take any more suffering. Your parents can take care of it.

Reactions: lmon, RetroChaos and Crazy4u
Manaaja

Manaaja

euROPE
Sep 10, 2018
I think it's up to you to choose. If you want one, you can get one. If you don't want, don't get. But don't do something just because your parents tell you to. Follow your own heart.

If you already wanted a dog, then it might be a good idea to try. You can always either return it to where you got it or give/sell it to another person. But if you have never owned or wanted a dog, then getting a dog to be a "band-aid fix" just because your parents suggested it might easily be a bad idea.

If you have never owned a dog and trained one, in the worst case you'll end up with a wrong breed (it's really important to consider the dog's breed, remember there are about 400 hundred breeds plus all their mixes), possibly a breed with many health problems, you'll end up hating to wake up early to take the dog out at least four times a day, you will end up taking the dog to vet/surgeon all the time because of health problems. And if it's a puppy it needs to be taken out much more often. And if you can't train the dog, it might become a barking terror who destroys your stuff and barks day and night and won't walk well in leash and will attack other dogs. You will end up hating the dog, and hating your life, and wishing you never had a dog so you could do whatever you wanted to do originally. The dog will become a burden that prevents you from living your own life and making your own decisions. It will become like a "trap". You might still want to ctb, but you can't anymore before you get rid of the dog.

In the best case scenario, the dog's breed and individual personality will be right for you, the dog will be healthy, you will end up enjoying training and walking and playing and living with the dog, you'll get a new best friend, you'll end up meeting new friends while walking the dog, you might even start practicing agility or obedience or tracking and find new friends and a new gf. It's much easier to meet new people while walking a dog. And to add, I read about a woman whose husband died, and she got over her depression and loneliness because of her dogs. And I personally know dogs can bring so much joy to life. My life was much better when my dog was here.

So, think carefully, write your thoughts down. Some breeders and places also offer some kind of return policies. So you can get a dog, and return it at any point during its life if something unforeseen happens. For example, a couple might take a third dog, but then suddenly the husband will die in a car accident, and because the widow can't take care of all the three dogs, the breeder agrees to take the third dog back. It also signals that the breeder is good and responsible if they accept to take dogs back for any reason.

I like your profile pic! Persona 5 is one of the best games ever!

Reactions: RetroChaos
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
Only two things you can do really. Get that dog the best home you can find him or just live your life and enjoy your new furry companion for as long as possible.

_Seeking

_Seeking

I'm only here for this moment
Dec 16, 2021
You could get an older dog, it is harder to place them and they won't be around for as long.

• Love
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, RetroChaos and Crazy4u
Crazy4u

Crazy4u

Enlightened
Sep 29, 2021
puppies are a lot of work. It can be very stressful to care for one if you are depressed and stressed. I don't recommend the puppy. You can foster or volunteer at a shelter. You can adopt a senior dog if you want. A puppy will stay alive for more than 10 years.

RetroChaos

RetroChaos

Still heartbroken.
Dec 21, 2021
Thanks for all your responses. I should have clarified I already have the dog.

I'm trying to stick with him and therapy and manage my suicidal thoughts.

Thanks again