WithTheFlow

WithTheFlow

Everything excellent is as difficult as it is rare
Sep 2, 2024
Even the most anti-social of people. Hitler, Stalin, Dahmer, etc. I don't hate these "evil" individuals. Even if I was a victim of their acts, I would definitely have a very negative emotional reaction to them, but I couldn't bring myself to rationally despise them.

I would feel like a hypocrite in doing so. As someone who is extremely mentally ill, I believe I am simply a product of how I have been raised, I believe by and large in the "clean slate" idea of child behavior. I think genetics are extremely overrated in determining human behavior.

I am extremely against non-defensive violence, so my personality differs greatly from the aforementioned figures. Yet, I do believe that if I was subjected to the same perspectives and experiences as Dahmer, for instance, I would probably be exactly the same. I do not think it's fundamentally Dahmer's fault that he has committed the atrocities that he has committed. I'm just lucky that I was never exposed to those kinds of experiences, so I've never formed a proclivity for violence.

I'm a fearful person. My emotions dictate my behavior a lot of the time. I'm fortunate that fear is my vice and not anger, violence, and hatred. I'm fortunate that I've been exposed to positive intellectual influences so I never developed anti-social belief systems.

With that being said, I believe that anti-social people should still be removed from society but only out of necessity and not because they are inherently "evil" for ultimately involuntarily developing the way they have.

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep and EternalShore
Mirrory Me

Mirrory Me

"Life's a mirror, but 'whose' mirror?"
Mar 23, 2023
I think hate is not good in general, but it can help to push those boundaries when ever needed- like if you have to stand up yourself in the argument.

Reactions: 3/4Dead and WithTheFlow
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
Even if I was a victim of their acts, I would definitely have a very negative emotional reaction to them, but I couldn't bring myself to rationally despise them.
Easy to say when you aren't one of their victims and when you probably have no personal connections to their victims. This feels like the equivalent of hearing someone call war veterans weak and gloat about how if they went to war they come out of it just fine. Easy to say shit when you know that you'll probably go your whole life never having to go through the horrific things these people experienced.

Also, genetics play a significant role in behaviour. While nurture is an extremely important element too, to act as though it is one or the other type of thing is very flawed. Genetics are what can predispose you to certain traits and play a major role in how your brain develops. The nurture element can have a major influence on things, like the expressions of these traits (e.g. MAOA gene and childhood maltreatment), but genetics still play a very crucial role.

Children aren't "clean slates". This is an idea that most psychologists and neurologists do not agree with. Twin and adoption studies have already aided in disproving this. Certain things, such as IQ, do have important genetic components to them.

To my knowledge, antisocial behaviours have a moderate genetic influence. You could have been exposed to the same atrocities that Dahmer was exposed to as a child and turn out completely different from him. Some people go through horrific experiences as children and come out not having done any of the things that he has done. Victoria Spry, for example, went through horrific child abuse that was considered to be one of the worst cases of child abuse in the UK, but, at least based on what I can remember from reading her memoir, the worst thing she did was find herself often going to the hospital due to her alcoholism.

I don't believe in an inherent evil either, as I view evil as just being a social concept. I understand that viewing others as inherently bad or good is wrong and is what leads to a lot of bad things, from the rationalization of abusive behaviours to straight-up fascism. Everyone is capable of being incredibly cruel and harming others under the right conditions. We like to believe that we aren't, but we are. You have more in common with the worst people to ever exist than you do with the perfect good people you see in fiction. I believe that there needs to be more effort put into trying to rehabilitate others, rather than just demonizing them and throwing away the key.

Reactions: Downdraft, Forever Sleep and GuessWhosBack
WithTheFlow

WithTheFlow

Everything excellent is as difficult as it is rare
Sep 2, 2024
Easy to say when you aren't one of their victims and when you probably have no personal connections to their victims. This feels like the equivalent of hearing someone call war veterans weak and gloat about how if they went to war they come out of it just fine. Easy to say shit when you know that you'll probably go your whole life never having to go through the horrific things these people experienced.
I admitted there will be emotional animosity toward a perpetrator of an atrocity. Please point me to where I said that a victim doesn't have a right to feel emotional hatred toward their abuser. Also, point me to where I said I would tell war veterans to shrug off the extremely traumatic things that they may experience.

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
I admitted there will be emotional animosity toward a perpetrator of an atrocity. Please point me to where I said that a victim doesn't have a right to feel emotional hatred toward their abuser. Also, point me to where I said I would tell war veterans to shrug off the extreme trauma that they may experience.
Hmm, somebody doesn't seem to know what comparison is? At what point did I claim that you "tell war veterans to struggle off extreme trauma"? I was making a comparisons. You went out of your way to make a big claim that is easy to make when you will likely get to love your entire life never having to experience said thing.
Even if I was a victim of their acts, I would definitely have a very negative emotional reaction to them, but I couldn't bring myself to rationally despise them.
^Big claim that is easy to make when you haven't gone through it before or have ever been personally impacted by it. Get it?

Reactions: Downdraft
Mirrory Me

Mirrory Me

"Life's a mirror, but 'whose' mirror?"
Mar 23, 2023
I wish people weren't assholes toward each other, but it just happens to be sometimes.

EternalShore

EternalShore

Hardworking Lass who Dreams of Love~ 💕✨
Jun 9, 2023
"clean slate"
I don't really believe it myself, but tabula rasa is such a kyute word~ :)

anyways, it's probably better to remain that way~ without hate~ :) True hate is consuming and can cause you to do evil after all~ >_<

lamargue

lamargue

sleepwalker
Jun 5, 2024
all beings local to me are equally subject to my contempt. my hatred is purely pathological. but i can't seem to automatically hate something out of principle, such as an historical figure. it feels contrived

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
  • Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: noname223, Forever Sleep and GuessWhosBack
Jealous Blackheart

Jealous Blackheart

A Well Read Demon
Aug 25, 2023
I believe that anti-social people should still be removed from society but only out of necessity and not because they are inherently "evil" for ultimately involuntarily developing the way they have.
This is what is referred to as the wrath of the lamb as opposed to the wrath of the lion.