Hollow Point

Hollow Point

A̵l̷w̷a̷y̸s̷ ̷t̸i̸r̵e̸d̶
Mar 24, 2020
So many times have I come across the person who sees I dont fit the profile of a homeless, and they judge. Like I catch slack for having a phone with a plan and data all the time. Using headphones or showing anything of value really. If you have anything, you're not really desperate. If I was so desperate for money, I would sell my phone and headphones and watch and such right? What am I doing on the internet? Clearly I'm just lazy right?

I hate this mentality so much. What are we supposed to sell these things for? A few meals? A few nights at a air bnb? How are we supposed to be able to land work, if we can't be contacted. It's not like they are going to swing by the shelter and leave a note saying where to meet tomorrow. They can't track you down under a bridge to let you know the start time tomorrow. It's just such a surface level way of looking at the situation.

And another thing, we deserve the down time on the internet. The only other socializing I have for me outside the internet is with people who can't tell what planet we are on, so excuse me for trying to have a normal conversation with somebody. The general public seems scared of me so striking up one in person is hard.

There is only so much you can do in a day to find work. You have to spend time waiting in food lines if you're hungry, or just simply focusing on not freezing to death. Ontop of waking up at the crack of dawn and walking like 15km a day. I check job listing every hour and send them my resume. That takes me like 5-10 mins every hour. I've already dropped off resumes within a area I can walk to and from, while still making it back by 9:45pm (when shelter closes doors and I'll lose my cot). All this constant stress and hustle going on, and people still think I'm "wasting" my time on the internet. These are the same people that will sit on their ass on the internet from the moment they get from work, until they go to their comfy bed, but somehow IM the lazier one?

My smartphone is quite literally my main lifeline attached onto the boat of success. Without it, I would have 1 hour a day at the library to do everything, that's it. How would having $100 in my pocket make that situation better? I can get food 3 times a day if I wait in line. There are ways to eat for free, at least where I'm from. If you go hungry, it's because you were too busy to line up..but it doesn't mean you'll starve to death. I can live fine of one of the shelters meals a day.

Like, I'm trying my best not to sound rude, but it's just annoying to see that people who dont take care of themselves get sympathy, when I dont get the time of day because I dont pull on their heart strings enough? I'm sorry I'm not some sob story who want to guilt you into spare change. I see the people who pan handle at night. It's not secret what they are spending your money on. You're not helping them by giving them money. Give food if you want to help, or a bus ticket or something.

And having little luxuries like headphones or accessories keep me sane. I'd probably get $50 for everything besides my phone. I rather be able to block out the yelling and screaming and snoring, as well as tune out the world for a bit and get lost in some music, instead of eating some unhealthy fast food meals or something. It's like they expect us to get off our feet in the hardest possible scenarios. Blows my mind some people can't understand this.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Swedish Equality, Finis Autem Spero, to be a sad tran and 8 others
Iloveyouall

Iloveyouall

Mage
Feb 12, 2020
The only other socializing I have for me outside the internet is with people who can't tell what planet we are on, so excuse me for trying to have a normal conversation with somebody.
Sorry it's not funny but I laughed.

I think they don't understand because they just don't know what it is, they have no idea what street life is. It's beyond imagination for most people. Thank you for taking the time to write this rant. I hope you're safe.

Reactions: Hollow Point
W

Worthless_nobody

Enlightened
Feb 14, 2019
Well said. I have been homeless myself and when I have told people they literally said "you don't look like the type of person who has been homeless"...geee ok sorry I didn't know I had to "look" a certain way. Or they would down play my situation and act like I was lying. Too often people pass judgement without any thought or regard for people's personal situations. It gets me upset when people try to judge because no one can understand what someone else goes through or their pain because they aren't in our heads directly feeling what we feel.

• Hmph!
Reactions: Shinbu, Inferdan and Hollow Point
Hollow Point

Hollow Point

A̵l̷w̷a̷y̸s̷ ̷t̸i̸r̵e̸d̶
Mar 24, 2020
Sorry it's not funny but I laughed.

I think they don't understand because they just don't know what it is, they have no idea what street life is. It's beyond imagination for most people. Thank you for taking the time to write this rant. I hope you're safe.

It's ok ha. Yea you cant know the day to day unless you see it or live it. Thank you and I hope you stay safe as well :)
Well said. I have been homeless myself and when I have told people they literally said "you don't look like the type of person who has been homeless"...geee ok sorry I didn't know I had to "look" a certain way. Or they would down play my situation and act like I was lying. Too often people pass judgement without any thought or regard for people's personal situations. It gets me upset when people try to judge because no one can understand what someone else goes through or their pain because they aren't in our heads directly feeling what we feel.

Yea it's pretty wild how separated you become from regular society. It can be de humanizing at times. You have to work so hard and also get a bit lucky if you want to legitimately get out of the life on your own. Sometimes you can never catch a break

• Love
Reactions: Worthless_nobody and Iloveyouall
Inferdan

Inferdan

Meeting the first minor relapse after recovery
Nov 3, 2019
A society where everything is a certain way. Homeless are scruffy, dirty, filthy, and stupid, always begging on the streets. Normal people have clothes, houses, and a life, and try to avoid the homeless all they can. The high-class have loads of momey, luxurious mansions and facilities, and the majority are selfish and need attention from people on social media to even breathe. And then there's the government. Greedy, self-centered, idiotic old men who have set rules and laws so they can stay in power and keep everyone in their rank of the social hierachy, while doing their best to kill off the poor.

And my react was sympathy anger

Reactions: Worthless_nobody, Iloveyouall and Hollow Point