R

Road_To_Nowhere

Feb 16, 2022
I'm a almost 25 years old student.
I have suffered from mild depression all my life, with some acute episodes over the years alternating with somewhat better moments. The college years were important, where I met several important people, but I never changed my opinion of myself. Always unfit, ugly, unable to do many things, complicit in many episodes I experienced in my family and during my adolescence with peers. I've done many mistakes, I've lost lots of opportunities. I never had a true passion about anything. I like cinema, and I always told others I'd like to be a movie director, but the reality is that I don't have a burning flame inside me, I was more or less apathetic, a slacker. I've tried to write a couple of scripts and they were horrible. I didn't have the best atmosphere in the family: my parents love me, but their divorce truly affected me. I've always been a bit skeptical and scared by them and my sister, even though they gave everything, from a material point of view.

I've always loathed work. I think one of the reasons I started university (which was overall a good period, with very dark moments I had to go through) is to "delay" my entrance in that world. I've worked as a dog food promoter, a grape harvester (which I enjoyed a bit more because it was just two weeks), as a full time ommunication intern in Paris for 5 months (one of the most horrible experiences in my life). All of these always worsened my depression. I've always found that a system that requires you to justify your existence (otherwise you'll die on the street) is just awful. We didn't choose to come into the world. Why the fuck should I justify my life? Why do I deserve to die if I didn't want to be born in the first place? I know I've always been lazy, and weak, since I've always feared other people's opinion.

I've truly tried lots of things. I had the privilege to travel, to live abroad, to meet awesome people, with whom I've shared beautiful moments. I had a horrible body back in the days, and I started to work out to have a better appearance. I even started therapy after my "breakup". Nonetheless, I've never shaken off this depression that grips me.

I am doing a masters degree that I detest with all my being. I went abroad as an exchange student, to Canada, and I was supposed to stay there for three months. There I met a girl with whom I would slowly fall in love. Over the course of 3 months, I found we had several things in common, she was smart, witty, bright, we listened to the same music. I've even met her parents. She was also incredibly beautiful, far beyond what I could imagine getting. I decide, foolishly, to extend my stay in Canada. After these three months, one day, while I was in New York visiting (before the Christmas vacations), she tells me she no longer feels the same, crying on the phone. I was displaced. I had deluded myself that this could go on because things were going well. Instead, I was not enough. She told me there was nothing wrong with me, and that it was up to her. This excuse hides a great truth: that if I had been someone else, if I had been the right one, it would never have been this way. If I didn't have my personality, my physical appearance, my humor, or other things, she would still be attracted to me. That's not the case, but I thought it was otherwise.

She then told me that she would like to maintain a friendly relationship, which heartened me. But she never wrote me back, and never will. I'm not that important anymore, maybe I've never been.

This all took place in December. I stayed in Canada without a reason to stay there, studying useless things. Nine months have passed, and I still miss her. I miss her with all of me. I don't cry as much as I used to, but it's a quiet sorrow that I carry inside me and that doesn't make me enjoy anything anymore. I can't find joy in friends, I hardly work out anymore, I can't study because I don't see the point. She had, and will have, a respectable life, full of things to do, goals, guys who will go after her because of her stunning looks. I will have none of that. I've failed most things in my life, and it won't compare in the least to hers. I'm just waiting to die, because a life like this is no longer worth living. I will never meet someone like her again, and I will never get her back. I have been contemplating suicide for several years, but for the past nine months it has become a constant thought that I cannot get rid of, although I have tried, a few times. But the comfort of dying and thinking no more about it is far more pleasant than having to face my future life. I am 24 years old, 25 in two weeks, and in front of me I will have the old age, the lack of time, the end of freedoms, of fun, the accumulation of responsibilities. I would have liked to do all this with her, but she's gone.

Again, I'm sorry. I'm just in a very bad state, and I'm tired of this pain. I'd like to go with N, but it's not available anymore. So I guess I'll just try hanging. I feel disrespectful towards people who have way worse problems than I do. I just can't take this anymore. I still dream of her. She was the one for me, but I wasn't the one for her. Everything is insipid now.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Hollowillow, OpheliasFlowers, waitingforrest and 4 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
After all, suffering is not a competition. You shouldn't feel as though you are being disrespectful just because some others have it worse. We are all entitled to feel the way that we feel. I also take comfort in the thought of being dead. Sometimes the pain of living can be too much and I understand being tired of this life. I wish you peace.

• Love
Reactions: Capsaicin78 and Suicidebydeath
R

Road_To_Nowhere

Feb 16, 2022
After all, suffering is not a competition. You shouldn't feel as though you are being disrespectful just because some others have it worse. We are all entitled to feel the way that we feel. I also take comfort in the thought of being dead. Sometimes the pain of living can be too much and I understand being tired of this life. I wish you peace.
True that.
I wouldn't wish death to anyone, of course. I wish everybody around me was better. I don't even consider myself as a pessimist: I think that the world has changed in the past, and it will change again in the future. Once the divine power of kings was seen as something unfathomable and indisputable. It stopped being a thing. Also our nowadays model will end, at some point.
I just know myself too well to hope for something better. I don't want to believe it anymore.

H

humaneyes__

Aug 27, 2022
I am sorry for these feelings that you've experienced, and appreciate your sharing with the forum.

Without hijacking your thread, I relate closely with several aspects of your story, including the state of pointless malaise through which I now navigate after a brief window of exhilaration.

It provides a fractional amount of peace to hear that someone else is experiencing such a similar emotional and existential crossroads as to my own... Probably not enough peace to divert an unfortunate ending, but I appreciated reading your story nonetheless.

• Hugs
Reactions: OpheliasFlowers
Rocinante

Rocinante

My name is Lucifer, please take my hand
Aug 26, 2022
We need surgery to cope

R

Road_To_Nowhere

Feb 16, 2022
I am sorry for these feelings that you've experienced, and appreciate your sharing with the forum.

Without hijacking your thread, I relate closely with several aspects of your story, including the state of pointless malaise through which I now navigate after a brief window of exhilaration.

It provides a fractional amount of peace to hear that someone else is experiencing such a similar emotional and existential crossroads as to my own... Probably not enough peace to divert an unfortunate ending, but I appreciated reading your story nonetheless.
Thank you, and I'm sorry if you're going through something similar to mine. Did you also experience a breakup?
We need surgery to cope
What do you mean?

brokensea

brokensea

Arcanist
Aug 4, 2022
This is heartbreaking and I know the pain of heartbreak. It's been two years for me and the pain only feels worse. I feel there is no escape from this devastation and heartbreak no matter what I have tried. What I've done, thought, worked through, been to therapy I still feel like a grenade blew apart my existence. My life. I still long time to go back in time where I felt happy for once. That it was all just robbed from me.

It sounds like you put this person on a pedestal. I did the same. They were like some lovely god that came down from heaven's asshole in my life and everything was perfect and we were for sure soulmates and there is no one else I'll love again. Haven't dated in two years either. I still feel connected like we are in a relationship and I would be cheating which is probably insane.

I try to see them as they are or became and know that's the real them. What I knew wasn't them. Wasn't the whole story.

The only thing that helps is thinking that person I loved and idolized likely was made up of more things from my imagination than reality and I was attributing to them perfection and qualities they didn't have but in scraps. If they were as awesome as I thought they wouldn't have done what they did.

I like to think that person I loved is dead and trapped in time. Often when I want to die I imagine I'll wake up in a world where I could go back to us and none of the bad things will have happened in some other dimension. If I knew for sure that would happen I'd be gone pretty fast. But I mostly try to think that person I loved may not have existed, may have been only a part of them, may never have been real or all just made up in my mind but I love them still and I just think they're dead and replaced with a person I don't know that isn't like them at all. Somehow this idea helps in some small way. And maybe someday when I die we will be together. But the person I loved was just there a short time, wouldn't have done these things to me and maybe loves me forever in some other universe.

But the person who exists in this reality let me down. Isn't the same person and I'd never want to be with them if I just met them as they are now. So these strange convoluted ideas help me and help me to mourn the love I felt.

You can think so highly of someone and they make you happy. Give your life meaning and they take it away and you blame yourself but it is not you and they aren't as perfect or wonderful or even the best thing that ever happened as you think. Someone who truly loves you and is wonderful won't walk away or drop you like that and there's other people in the world. People even better you can connect with.

I'm just trying to process and mourn the death of the person I loved. I don't view anymore as I miss them now and they hold the key to my happiness. I now just think they died and I'm mourning their loss.

You have to stop and think if people deserve your love or all of your love that way. Most people despite a good show for months or longer do not. If they randomly mislead your heart and dump you they surely do not.

• Love
Reactions: OpheliasFlowers, atonofdespair24 and JayLa16
R

Road_To_Nowhere

Feb 16, 2022

This is heartbreaking and I know the pain of heartbreak. It's been two years for me and the pain only feels worse. I feel there is no escape from this devastation and heartbreak no matter what I have tried. What I've done, thought, worked through, been to therapy I still feel like a grenade blew apart my existence. My life. I still long time to go back in time where I felt happy for once. That it was all just robbed from me.

It sounds like you put this person on a pedestal. I did the same. They were like some lovely god that came down from heaven's asshole in my life and everything was perfect and we were for sure soulmates and there is no one else I'll love again. Haven't dated in two years either. I still feel connected like we are in a relationship and I would be cheating which is probably insane.

I try to see them as they are or became and know that's the real them. What I knew wasn't them. Wasn't the whole story.

The only thing that helps is thinking that person I loved and idolized likely was made up of more things from my imagination than reality and I was attributing to them perfection and qualities they didn't have but in scraps. If they were as awesome as I thought they wouldn't have done what they did.

I like to think that person I loved is dead and trapped in time. Often when I want to die I imagine I'll wake up in a world where I could go back to us and none of the bad things will have happened in some other dimension. If I knew for sure that would happen I'd be gone pretty fast. But I mostly try to think that person I loved may not have existed, may have been only a part of them, may never have been real or all just made up in my mind but I love them still and I just think they're dead and replaced with a person I don't know that isn't like them at all. Somehow this idea helps in some small way. And maybe someday when I die we will be together. But the person I loved was just there a short time, wouldn't have done these things to me and maybe loves me forever in some other universe.

But the person who exists in this reality let me down. Isn't the same person and I'd never want to be with them if I just met them as they are now. So these strange convoluted ideas help me and help me to mourn the love I felt.

You can think so highly of someone and they make you happy. Give your life meaning and they take it away and you blame yourself but it is not you and they aren't as perfect or wonderful or even the best thing that ever happened as you think. Someone who truly loves you and is wonderful won't walk away or drop you like that and there's other people in the world. People even better you can connect with.

I'm just trying to process and mourn the death of the person I loved. I don't view anymore as I miss them now and they hold the key to my happiness. I now just think they died and I'm mourning their loss.

You have to stop and think if people deserve your love or all of your love that way. Most people despite a good show for months or longer do not. If they randomly mislead your heart and dump you they surely do not.
Thank you for your kind words. It's sad to see that so many people are experiencing something like that.
It's true, I've kinda put this person on a pedestal. I know it's not logical, or rational, or whatever. I know she's not the only person in the world.
The fact is that I didn't even have the opportunity to see if this person wasn't actually that person. In those three months, we never had any kind of disagreement: we never fought, always enjoyed our times. It's true, I've noticed some kind of attitude that I didn't really like, but it was no problem for me. I
She generally tended not to see each other too much during the week, and I would have liked to see each other a little more, but I always respected that and she appreciated that I respected her. I did my best to keep her close to me (but I didn't get clingy, thankfully), which is why I did my best to stay in Canada, despite a landlord who stole money from me and did violence to me. I met her at a very delicate time in my life, when I was experiencing more and more stress and problems. But at least I had her, I told myself. Instead, that was not the case.
I know very well that this will never come back. I will never be a young student again, and that is why I tell myself that I will never meet someone like her again. She wasn't perfect, but she was the best I could ask for.
What you say is technically true: she does not deserve my love, if we see love as something that must be reciprocated. However, I cannot help but think that unrequited loves do exist. She did basically nothing wrong for me not to love her. I did not experience anything bad with her, I had plans, and although everything was falling apart, she was a support. Not a remedy, but one that would make me feel lighter.

S

Spyro24

Jun 24, 2022
I know how you feel unfortunately. I too fell deeply in love with someone and I still think about her and dream about her constantly. I kept feeding my delusions and kept thinking it could work because that's what made me happy. There were moments where I caught a glimpse of what it's like to not be lonely but she always turned around and stabbed me in the heart like saying she loves me and then taking it back. We're still great friends but we talk less and she is currently with another guy she constantly talks about. I endure it because I'm afraid to let go and all I want is to see her happy. I put her on a pedestal, damn right I did and rightfully so as I probably wouldn't be here anymore if it wasn't for her. Now she's on my mind 24/7 and I don't know how much more I can take before I ctb.

• Hugs
Reactions: OpheliasFlowers and SadVegan
J

Jimblue

Student
Sep 10, 2022
I can understand you feel. I am being ill for my entire life now. People think I can be recovered but I don't think so.

• Hugs
Reactions: OpheliasFlowers
R

Road_To_Nowhere

Feb 16, 2022
I know how you feel unfortunately. I too fell deeply in love with someone and I still think about her and dream about her constantly. I kept feeding my delusions and kept thinking it could work because that's what made me happy. There were moments where I caught a glimpse of what it's like to not be lonely but she always turned around and stabbed me in the heart like saying she loves me and then taking it back. We're still great friends but we talk less and she is currently with another guy she constantly talks about. I endure it because I'm afraid to let go and all I want is to see her happy. I put her on a pedestal, damn right I did and rightfully so as I probably wouldn't be here anymore if it wasn't for her. Now she's on my mind 24/7 and I don't know how much more I can take before I ctb.
When did the breakup happen?

SadVegan

SadVegan

Oct 29, 2021
Our stories are so alike. Im sorry we've come to this point, I've missed out so many opportunities too. I wanted everything with her too. I wasn't good enough for her, I'm ugly, poor and lame asf. I have no use in living, i didn't ask to be born either, why the fuck i have to die, why did i have to fail? Why? I didn't ask for any of this. I just wanna sleep forevermore.

• Hugs
Reactions: OpheliasFlowers and Road_To_Nowhere
S

Spyro24

Jun 24, 2022
When did the breakup happen?
We were never actually together but things changed about 1-2 months ago when she met someone and we went from talking and calling daily to barely talking at all. Knowing my previous experiences, it will take me about a year before I can accept it and move on. Don't think I'm ever gonna try again after this. If you ask me, we were perfect for each other, we always had each others backs no matter what but I guess I wasn't good enough and I don't think I will ever be good enough for anyone.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Huntfish34
Fadeawaaaay

Fadeawaaaay

Visionary
Nov 12, 2021
I feel your pain. I was with somebody for three years emotionally connecting every single day to suddenly nothing. Everything shattered. Nothing is left. Every day is torture.

• Aww..
Reactions: Road_To_Nowhere and Un-
R

Road_To_Nowhere

Feb 16, 2022
We were never actually together but things changed about 1-2 months ago when she met someone and we went from talking and calling daily to barely talking at all. Knowing my previous experiences, it will take me about a year before I can accept it and move on. Don't think I'm ever gonna try again after this. If you ask me, we were perfect for each other, we always had each others backs no matter what but I guess I wasn't good enough and I don't think I will ever be good enough for anyone.
Hey, I'm sorry to hear this. What I can tell you is that 1 or 2 months is not that much, it's kinda fresh. So it's okay to give yourself time, and it's normal to think about her even today.
It's been 9 months for me and basically almost nothing changed. The pain is still real and I'm unable to do most basic stuff, the humiliation still haunts me, but maybe it is different to you. It's still too soon to tell. The feeling to give up is strong, but maybe it will be better in the next period.
Sending you hugs man <3
I feel your pain. I was with somebody for three years emotionally connecting every single day to suddenly nothing. Everything shattered. Nothing is left. Every day is torture.
And to think that I am so weak that a three-month relationship would throw me off like this. If I am not able to cope with something like that, I am not able to cope with anything. I'm fucking weak