lament.

lament.

the Immortal
Jun 28, 2023
It feels like a silly question with no real answer but I feel like asking it anyway, I keep wanting to let the people close to me know that I am suicidal, will commit suicide and that it's not their fault, etc. But I don't know where I'd even begin with doing this and I certainly don't think they'd just respect my decision either without getting overly emotional about it or trying to talk me out of it. Kinda feels hopeless, like I don't want to ask them for help, I just want them to be able to accept my death when it comes, cause realistically a suicide note comes too late.

• Love
Reactions: ILikeJollybee, Saponification, Kalista and 2 others
LapseInTime

LapseInTime

Top-notch parasite.
Sep 4, 2024
I don't think you can, not all people, at least. It's crazy. They feel that this is crazy because they've never been in that position. Hell, even those who HAVE been there in the past and have now gotten over it - that's all good, it's still a much too different viewpoint and recovery may not be possible for absolutely everyone. The few times I've felt that some people MAY have accepted it, it was all fake, something they just said to make me feel better, to get closer, just so they can "help". I don't think it is that possible and that is because I have never had any success doing it. It's different here though, for which I am... more than just a little grateful. It takes so much to understand and nothing to say that you do. It's bad...

Reactions: Tig, opheliaoveragain, athiestjoe and 6 others
Seiba

Seiba

Arcanist
Jun 13, 2021
I understand your desire to let others know. I actually reached out to one of my coworkers on her lunch break a couple months ago despite the risk. The details aren't super important to rehash, but I'd say best case scenario they consider killing themselves too so they understand a bit more.

I think reaching out may make the guilt worse than just leaving a note if you're dead set on leaving. That aside, despite my coworker admitting to me that she's somewhat suicidal as well all she had to say in the end was that others would be hurt and otherwise, perhaps unintentionally dismissing my other reasons for leaving. Worst case scenario they can try to section you if you tell them you're not going to ever consider changing your mind.

• Love
Reactions: Tig, thesaddestgirl, wren-briar and 1 other person
ChronicAnamnesis

ChronicAnamnesis

Oct 7, 2024
I believe people that do not share your feelings or have the mindset of others in this board will ever be able to accept the fact. Usually they will freak out and go absolutely insane for what appearently seems like no reason. In my opinion the decisions we make to ourselves are upto us and do not need any foreign intervention. If we ask for help or try to fix ourselves let us, if we do not. Don't bother.

• Love
Reactions: Tig, opheliaoveragain, thesaddestgirl and 3 others
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
You can't. You just can't. Even if you provided the most straightforward and logical arguments for why you want to kill yourself, they won't ever understand it. The pro life indoctrination is really that bad

• Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: Tig, opheliaoveragain, athiestjoe and 5 others
Emeralds

Emeralds

Aug 29, 2024
I don't think that most will accept that someone close to them is going to end their life. It's only natural that they would try to talk you out of it. The only exception would be if they agreed with your reason. If they believed that your problems really didn't have another solution, and they would do the same thing in your place.

• Love
Reactions: Tig, opheliaoveragain, thesaddestgirl and 2 others
rhiino

rhiino

Arcanist
May 13, 2020
I think that an undertaking like that will consume much time. You have to tell them over and over again how you feel, tell them about your problems and be lucky that they understand. They might engage and try to help you. When they don't, they will probably feel even more guilty when you are dead. So it is a coin with two sides, something to gain, something to loose.

Tell them what went wrong in your life and how they are not at fault for it. This needs to be done slowly and step by step. You cannot talk to them once out of nothing and expect them to understand. They have to feel your pain, see the trend and process/history.

I have the »luxury« to have been told by the person that is closest to me, that they understand and accept it and that it is my personal choice. Still, they have the wish that I live, which makes it incredibly hard.

I think the closer the person is to you, the more they can relate to your problems, the more likely it is they would think similar in your situation and thus understand it.

• Love
Reactions: thesaddestgirl, wren-briar and lament.
AbyssalAlien

AbyssalAlien

Oct 5, 2024
Ask if they support Right To Die. If they say no? You wont change their minds.

Reactions: rozeske, Tig, rhiino and 1 other person
rhiino

rhiino

Arcanist
May 13, 2020
@AbyssalAlien
Yes! Very good point to check that first.

Reactions: lament. and AbyssalAlien
MatrixPrisoner

MatrixPrisoner

Enlightened
Jul 8, 2023
Unless the other person has ever even remotely felt the same, it's a waste of time. A foreign language.

Reactions: rozeske, opheliaoveragain, athiestjoe and 2 others
GalacticWarrior777

GalacticWarrior777

When will I find an exit?
Sep 24, 2024
I think that is impossible. Ive told 2 of my old close friends that Im suicidal, but both of them didnt accept it. One of them got mad at me for it and tried to change my mind, while the other one got emotional (Which was possibly fake, due to the fact that she was a manipulative person that was able to even fake emotions in order to get something out of me) and wanted to get me out of it too. Sadly, they dont understand that if you are suicidal, talking someone out of it will most likely be uneffective.

• Hugs
Reactions: thesaddestgirl and lament.
rhiino

rhiino

Arcanist
May 13, 2020
@GalacticWarrior777 Yes, talking sb out of it without really engaging and helping them does not work. My sister always just says I will not do it anyway and does not help. What do I think of that? Hold my beer.

• Wow
Reactions: lament.
SteamaHorns

SteamaHorns

Aug 2, 2024
In my experience, the only way you can actually get someone to accept or at the very least not actively be against something that you plan to do or believe in, is to be extremely open and willing to explain your entire thought process down, to the very last detail as to why you plan or believe in said thing. You also need to be willing to tolerate them whenever they act in a way that is insensitive and disrespectful, due to their ignorance. You'll also have to be capable of and willing to re-explain to them your thought process and feelings for what will probably be an uncountable amount of times, while maintaining a level of sensitivity, openness, and a willingness to endure their unfair treatment. It is also important that they at some points manage to understand your viewpoints and feelings, even if they end up forgetting it again. This is a process that will take a painful amount of time, and obviously it may not work for everyone, but I'm inclined to think that if there's anyway for you to gain the acceptance of those people, then this would be the way. I can't say for sure if this will actually work for you, so I hope you're able to make the right judgement. Hope things go smoothly for you.

• Love
depthss

depthss

wikihow
Dec 12, 2023
as unfortunate as it is, i think most non-suicidal people will never be able to accept this kind of thing. most people would freak out, try to talk you out of it, probably try to get you 'help' or at the very least, shut down any efforts you make to justify your decision. the best thing you can do is not say anything, unless, of course, you want to recover. but if not, just leave a note

Reactions: lament. and opheliaoveragain
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Pretty much what others have said in this thread. Sadly the reality is you simply cannot change the minds of people (pro-lifers and the masses) who have already made up their minds about the act of CTB, death, or similar topics. I do think the best you can do is to keep to yourself and not let people know especially those who have the means to intervene and stop you from CTB (if you are really serious about CTB'ing and don't want be saved).