• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Finalnight

Finalnight

Cbting 07/03/24, love you all.
Aug 16, 2023
My SN came in a plastic bag, inside a carboard box, enveloped again with more plastic.
It hasn't been exposed to air yet, but should I be worried about it having lost purity for the way it was packaged?
And how did yours come? If you'd like to tell, thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: doggiesarecute
R

rohite0024

Waiting for my bus
Nov 4, 2023
Does it disintegrate as soon as it comes into contact with air?

Reactions: Finalnight
Upvote 0
R

rohite0024

Waiting for my bus
Nov 4, 2023
When does it disintegrate? Let's say I bring out the powder to measure it for its weight would it start disintegrating. Also do I need to mix it with water immediately. Wouldn't it disintegrate when nitrite water will be kept for 30 mins?

Upvote 0
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
As long as air doesn't get to it it should be ok.

• Love
Reactions: doggiesarecute, アホペンギン and Finalnight
Upvote 0
Finalnight

Finalnight

Aug 16, 2023
As long as air doesn't get to it it should be ok.
Well, It is stored in an airtight container surrounded by like 10 moisture absorbers, inside a safe. I hope that's enough. Thanks!
When does it disintegrate? Let's say I bring out the powder to measure it for its weight would it start disintegrating. Also do I need to mix it with water immediately. Wouldn't it disintegrate when nitrite water will be kept for 30 mins?
I'm not sure for how long you can wait after mixing it before drinking it. I think it's better to mix it right at the moment you're gonna drink it. I don't remember, but I guess that was on Stan's guide.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0000000000000 and Meditation guide
Upvote 0
Finalnight

Finalnight

Aug 16, 2023
How do I weigh it? When I will be taking it out to measure it will disintegrate.
By the looks of it you're even more worried that me, it won't desintegrate or lose purity that fast, just measure it and mix it right after.
I'd suggest you buy a kitchen scale to measure it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 65988

Who told you it's "disintegrates" as soon as it comes into contact with air, SN is much more durable than that, moisture is it's main thing to avoid but normal room temperature should keep SN stable with purity intact. It wouldn't make any logical sense for something you have to take and measure correctly to begin disintegrating as you are carrying out the process. If it were that fragile then why would any labs who buy sn for the purpose of analysis even buy it if air will interfere with accuracy in terms of purity. You really need to learn what's what when it comes sn and stop relying on 3rd hand misinformation that could give you more to worry about than necessary. Also the vague description of "air" is so misleading and I've seen time and time again, too misleading in fact when compared to what the truth is, it'll only decompose in high temperatures and we're talking extremely high temps, nothing close to what normal room temps are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: doggiesarecute, Finalnight, gbi2 and 1 other person
Upvote 0
R

rohite0024

Waiting for my bus
Nov 4, 2023
I would be at around 0 deg celcius temparature. It would be too cold which could lead to sn disintegrating.

Upvote 0
アホペンギン

アホペンギン

Jul 10, 2023
@rohite0024 like @Uesugi-Lord said, SN is not that fragile. It won't disintegrate immediately when it comes into contact with air. The only thing you should be concerned about is moisture. That is the issue.

Reactions: 0000000000000, Finalnight and Deleted member 65988
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 65988

I would be at around 0 deg celcius temparature. It would be too cold which could lead to sn disintegrating.
Really?
So why is it that Sodium nitrite has a melting point of 271 degrees Celsius.

Unless you've actually tested and verified yourself that sn will disintegrate at those temps then you are misleading yourself for no reason. You really have no reason to worry about it, it's a reagent chemical after all, not some fragile thing that'll go absolutely wrong the minute you begin to open it, there's reason why it has a long shelf life even if it's been used before in experimentation and research otherwise why would anyone who wants to have sn for lab work even buy it.

Upvote 0
ApathyToLife

ApathyToLife

Send in the clowns.
Aug 18, 2023
Mine came in a form of a small 100g bottle, wrapped around in a shit ton envelopes. Opened it once ever since, to test SN via aquarium test, closed it immediately after I was done. SN doesn't get "spoiled" as fast as you think it does. Store it properly and it'll be just fine for usage.

• Love
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 65988

Mine came in a form of a small 100g bottle, wrapped around in a shit ton envelopes. Opened it once ever since, to test SN via aquarium test, closed it immediately after I was done. SN doesn't get "spoiled" as fast as you think it does. Store it properly and it'll be just fine for usage.
Keep it in a dark, cool place away from any source of heat and you are good.

Upvote 0
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
Moisture in the air turns it into sodium nitrate.

nitrate is made up of one nitrogen atom and three oxygen atoms while nitrite is made up of one nitrogen atoms and only two oxygen atoms. SN is NaNO 2 Sodium nitrate is NaNO 3​

I'm no chemist but I think the moisture in the air is enough to add the additional oxygen atom to the mix to turn it into sodium nitrate. ​

Last edited:
Reactions: 0000000000000, doggiesarecute, Finalnight and 1 other person
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 65988

Moisture in the air turns it into sodium nitrate.

Sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate have an almost identical formula. Sodium nitrite just needs one more water molecule to turn it into sodium nitrate which it can get by absorbing it from the air.
It depends how much moisture is in the air but I don't think normal room temp air will hurt its purity too much. That would come down to what temperature it is and if it's humid enough to affect. The transformation of sodium nitrite to sodium nitrate typically occurs at elevated temperatures, usually above 320 degrees Celsius (608 degrees Fahrenheit). This process involves oxidation, converting sodium nitrite (NaNO₂) to sodium nitrate (NaNO₃). See this is the issue I've always had when it comes to the info that has changed so much about SN oxidizing into Nitrate on the forum, what specific conditions does SN oxidize into Nitrate and based on those conditions, how fast or how slow it'll be.

Upvote 0
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
It depends how much moisture is in the air but I don't think normal room temp air will hurt its purity too much. That would come down to what temperature it is and if it's humid enough to affect. The transformation of sodium nitrite to sodium nitrate typically occurs at elevated temperatures, usually above 320 degrees Celsius (608 degrees Fahrenheit). This process involves oxidation, converting sodium nitrite (NaNO₂) to sodium nitrate (NaNO₃). See this is the issue I've always had when it comes to the info that has changed so much about SN oxidizing into Nitrate on the forum, what specific conditions does SN oxidize into Nitrate and based on those conditions, how fast or how slow it'll be.
Chemical Stability: Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions. Unstable if heated, may explode at temperatures greater than 533°C.
Conditions to Avoid: Ignition sources, dust generation, exposure to air, exposure to moist air or water, temperatures above 320°C.
Incompatibilities with Other Materials: Reducing agents, acids, amines, chlorates, permanganates, cyanides (e.g. potassium cyanide, sodium cyanide), metals as powders (e.g. hafnium, raney nickel), hypophosphites, sulfites, tannic acid, organic matter, antipyrine, ammonium salts, acetanilide, iodides, mercury salts, moisture, air, activated carbon, vegetable astringents.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0000000000000
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 65988

So what you are saying is you could leave it uncovered in a bowl indefinitely and it wouldn't change into sodium nitrate? No need to even keep it sealed up at all?
I didn't say that did I? Why are you implying that's what I said from what I posted. All I was stating was that under extreme temps, sn does react much faster and oxidizes. Nothing I said came to the conclusion to keep it as carelessly as possible and not having to worry about properly storing it, don't know why you would think that's what I was trying to say. I literally said that I don't think normal room temp wouldn't hurt its purity much so I don't understand how that correlates to "oh you can keep as you want in a bowl uncovered indefinitely and it wouldn't change at all to Sodium Nitrate".

I've always been under the suspicion of how SN oxidizes into Nitrate and under what specific conditions and whether those conditions are something I should look out for in my particular case. In normal room temps, there's a variety of things that could affect SN and its stability for maintaining its purity for longer, this doesn't meant to leave it open and be careless but to be mindful for the fact that sn is not as sensitive to decomposition as people think, immediate exposure to air does not render it useless otherwise where would the reason be for anyone who wants use to sn in a lab setting.

Upvote 0
penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me 💙
Nov 1, 2023
Talked to a seller and they said that they do discreet packaging with no label suggesting any chemicals whatsoever. Depends where you get it from.

Upvote 0
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
I didn't say that did I? Why are you implying that's what I said from what I posted. All I was stating was that under extreme temps, sn does react much faster and oxidizes. Nothing I said came to the conclusion to keep it as carelessly as possible and not having to worry about properly storing it, don't know why you would think that's what I was trying to say. I literally said that I don't think normal room temp wouldn't hurt its purity much so I don't understand how that correlates to "oh you can keep as you want in a bowl uncovered indefinitely and it wouldn't change at all to Sodium Nitrate".

I've always been under the suspicion of how SN oxidizes into Nitrate and under what specific conditions and whether those conditions are something I should look out for in my particular case. In normal room temps, there's a variety of things that could affect SN and its stability for maintaining its purity for longer, this doesn't meant to leave it open and be careless but to be mindful for the fact that sn is not as sensitive to decomposition as people think, immediate exposure to air does not render it useless otherwise where would the reason be for anyone who wants use to sn in a lab setting.
Yes I looked it up more after your post and posted an update on that reply I made to you.

Upvote 0
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
My SN is three years old. Someone said the tests of SN will show the same for sodium nitrate as for sodium nitrite. Any idea how to know if it has changed into sodium nitrate?

I'm in a climate that is 70 % humidity year round in the sub tropics. Mine has never had the jar it came in opened so I just wonder if it's still usable and how to test it.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 65988

My SN is three years old. Someone said the tests of SN will show the same for sodium nitrate as for sodium nitrite. Any idea how to know if it has changed into sodium nitrate?

I'm in a climate that is 70 % humidity year round in the sub tropics. Mine has never had the jar it came in opened so I just wonder if it's still usable and how to test it.
to be honest mg, all I can say is if it has been stored in a sealed container and shows no signs of discoloration, it may still be usable. However, it's important to assess its physical condition. If you notice any unusual changes in texture, color, or odor, it's safer not to use it. There's a good chance it's been degraded due to the storage conditions you described especially the high humidity all year round but to what extent is unknown unless you decide to test it through the Aquarium test, that's the best test I can think of without getting too technical about it. To be on the safer side, possibly look at getting new SN.

Reactions: Meditation guide
Upvote 0
Finalnight

Finalnight

Aug 16, 2023
Well, thanks to those who mainly focused on replying to my questions.

• Hugs
Upvote 0