• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

islima

islima

Jun 12, 2020
My communication skill are shit online and in the real word. How do I get over I want to talk and engage with other people around me but I cannot bring myself into getting into a conversations. I work as an IT helpdesk technician where I meet a lot of people but I don't have anything to say tho them when I offer assistance.The conversations I mostly have are of the general work topics. I feel like I am missing out on life just because i fail to communicate with other people. This lack of communication is also affecting how I work, I have been given a two weeks notice that they are cancelling my contract due to poor performance. I wanted to go for therapy to get help but that is expensive in where I live and the salary is too little to cover that.

I got the SN packages last month, I wanted to ctb but I stopped as want to give life one last shot, if it doesn't work out I will ctb.

N.B Excuse my English.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: GravityUtilizer, Hopeindeath!, AprilsBlessings and 12 others
Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018
Do you have any hobbies or interests, you will be an walking encyclopedia, in my country you can find meetups with similar interests people. This gives you practice and more practice will give you confidence. Do I make sense, you can also converse with people on discords or Reddit. I feel sorry that you lost your job.

I had social anxiety in college but my counsellor said expose yourself to it in little steps, it worked for me I tried it with cousin's rather than family without their knowledge, and then joined forums like gaming ones and did with strangers.

Reactions: onlyeverexisting and islima
islima

islima

Jun 12, 2020
So far I haven't had any hobbies. I always feel like no one will understand me. I signed up on Reddit a few months ago , even there I feel like I have nothing to contribute I end up reading through other people's comments.

Reactions: OnlyTheWind and Valon
Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018
Did you try to develop any interests, what do you like, games, movies, music. Even in the past.

islima

islima

Jun 12, 2020
I was big fan of music, mostly hip hops and soft rock, ten years ago while I was still in High school but all that faded away as years went by I don't know what happened along the way.

Reactions: OnlyTheWind, demuic, Lastsauce and 1 other person
Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018
So far I haven't had any hobbies. I always feel like no one will understand me. I signed up on Reddit a few months ago , even there I feel like I have nothing to contribute I end up reading through other people's comments.
Believe me Reddit doesn't care about your opinions, people are making light-hearted comments. It's not all deep discussion. This is a way to learn more, even if it means to surf web and add to discussion.

P

Pharmaruined

Nobody gets out alive
Sep 10, 2020
My communication skill are shit online and in the real word. How do I get over I want to talk and engage with other people around me but I cannot bring myself into getting into a conversations. I work as an IT helpdesk technician where I meet a lot of people but I don't have anything to say tho them when I offer assistance.The conversations I mostly have are of the general work topics. I feel like I am missing out on life just because i fail to communicate with other people. This lack of communication is also affecting how I work, I have been given a two weeks notice that they are cancelling my contract due to poor performance. I wanted to go for therapy to get help but that is expensive in where I live and the salary is too little to cover that.

I got the SN packages last month, I wanted to ctb but I stopped as want to give life one last shot, if it doesn't work out I will ctb.

N.B Excuse my English.

You have to be genuinely interested in someone..look at every person as an opportunity to learn something from.. that's the gift everybody brings to the table.. whether it's good or bad.. doesn't matter

Here are other tips and techniques..

Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018
Would you develop new interests, I'm sure there are still people discussing hip hop, soft rock somewhere on the web. Do you ever wonder stuff like me, I would like to know about this, I'm now trying to learn programming and asking people for help. My job is in finance.

Reactions: islima
L

lonewolf22

Jul 3, 2020

N.B Excuse my English.

I have the same troubles. Constantly struggle with things to talk about. Eventually people lose interest because I have nothing to offer. I also suffer from crippling social anxiety which has destroyed my life. I did manage to muster the courage to pursue a relationship after having spent my entire life without being in one and six months in, I feel like I have nothing to talk about. Even when I do, I cant seem to string together the words to articulate my thoughts. Now im on the brink of losing this girl who i sense is getting terribly bored of me. The only chemistry that she has with me is sexual. The best advice that I can offer is to pick up hobbies and try to interact with as many people as you can. If you have constant brain fog which greatly hinders your ability to express your thoughts, then im afraid I cant offer any kind of advice. Sorry you are goin through this. I know its absolute hell.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: OnlyTheWind, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga, onlyeverexisting and 2 others
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
Superficial conversations are pretty easy to bs your way through. Talk about the weather, compliment something, talk about food, talk about something nearby or in the immediate environment, discuss work, or even just ask about their day. Talking to outgoing people that will lead the conversation helps too.

Reactions: onlyeverexisting and Valon
T

tidalwxves

Student
Sep 8, 2020

N.B Excuse my English.
Thank you for being honest and asking for help, I'm proud of you for giving life another chance. A therapist might be able to work with you on building your social skills, have you tried that?

_Minsk

_Minsk

death: the cure for life
Dec 9, 2019

N.B Excuse my English.
havent read the whole thread but i can say for sure quite a lot of people are just not meant to fit in, and its fine. or maybe its just related to depression. but tbh i would also just skip small talk. deep down i dont even care about the weather, it feels unnatural to talk about stuff which i dont care about. i would rather be on my own than to pretend to be someone else, people might love your mask but as soon as you take it of you will lose them. i want to be accepted for who i am.

T

tidalwxves

Student
Sep 8, 2020
havent read the whole thread but i can say for sure quite a lot of people are just not meant to fit in, and its fine. or maybe its just related to depression. but tbh i would also just skip small talk. deep down i dont even care about the weather, it feels unnatural to talk about stuff which i dont care about. i would rather be on my own than to pretend to be someone else, people might love your mask but as soon as you take it of you will lose them. i want to be accepted for who i am.
There is no one who is meant to be isolated, its not about small talk. We are built for connection, it can just be hard to find the right people to be vulnerable with.

Reactions: islima and onlyeverexisting
Lmd

Lmd

Elementalist
Jul 12, 2020
What I did is watch and learn. People usually don't have interesting things to say they just talk about what they do or random stuff. If you aren't used to it maybe this sounds silly but try to speak more about what's on your mind like, maybe you can compliment someone if you think they have a nice t-shirt or something like that. If you show interest eventually people will come to you.

If you can't do it, as someone said here, having a hobby can help. Look for something you might like and try to stay in a group of people with the same interest can help you to improve your social skills.

Giving a good impresion is important too. If you are open and nice people will notice and they'll want to talk with you. Sometimes we miss oportunities because we don't know how to react when people talk with us but if someone aproachs you trying to be nice and you notice it, even if you don't know what to say in the moment don't give up. Try to explain yourself later "hey I'm not good at this" or whatever, if they have empathy they will understand.

Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
sadly talking to people is a process so complex and nuanced that is can't be described well. Getting a good read of the emotions in a situation is important so that you can react properly and get a good flow in conversation. I struggle a lot with this but it does get slowly better through practice.

onlyeverexisting

onlyeverexisting

Nov 24, 2019
I'm really sorry about your job dude. I know that can be devastating.
I'm probably not the best person to give advice on this since I struggle with it too, but hey. As others have mentioned, it's really complicated- but when in doubt, ask lots of questions to start out with. Not in rapid succession though if you can avoid it (don't make them feel like they're being interrogated), and try to make them meaningful. Then make a statement/observation on whatever the subject is, ask another question, repeat. Since you said you mostly talk about work stuff, maybe try to ask people what they do outside of work to start out with? Conversations are a give-and-take, so it's a good way to contribute from your side if you don't feel comfortable talking about yourself yet.

Also, remember that isolation and depression compound on each other, so please try to be as patient and kind with yourself as you can. This isn't easy for a lot of people, especially when you're depressed, but it's a skill that can be picked up again. I hope there are better days ahead for you.

islima

islima

Jun 12, 2020
I'm really sorry about your job dude. I know that can be devastating.
I'm probably not the best person to give advice on this since I struggle with it too, but hey. As others have mentioned, it's really complicated- but when in doubt, ask lots of questions to start out with. Not in rapid succession though if you can avoid it (don't make them feel like they're being interrogated), and try to make them meaningful. Then make a statement/observation on whatever the subject is, ask another question, repeat. Since you said you mostly talk about work stuff, maybe try to ask people what they do outside of work to start out with? Conversations are a give-and-take, so it's a good way to contribute from your side if you don't feel comfortable talking about yourself yet.

Also, remember that isolation and depression compound on each other, so please try to be as patient and kind with yourself as you can. This isn't easy for a lot of people, especially when you're depressed, but it's a skill that can be picked up again. I hope there are better days ahead for you.
Thanks for the advise I try to slowly apply it daily. I know it wont be easy but I will try.
Thanks.
Thank you for being honest and asking for help, I'm proud of you for giving life another chance. A therapist might be able to work with you on building your social skills, have you tried that?
Thanks for the advice. I tried to get the help from therapists but they are expensive, with my salary I cannot afford one.

Last edited:
Giraffey

Giraffey

Your Orange Crush
Mar 7, 2020
If I'm stuck for something to say to someone, then I will ask a question. An example, I was speaking with a very shy gentleman a couple of years ago, general chit-chat to fill time while we were both basically just waiting around. I noticed that he was wearing an old Casio watch so to keep the conversation going I said "I like your watch, is that a Casio?", "Yes, I like it, it's simple" he replied. "It looks technical, does it have an alarm on it, or a stopwatch? Or a rain sensor?" - that last bit was a little joke. He laughed, "No, it doesn't have a rain sensor! But it has an alarm on it". "Ah, well I'm impressed, they don't sell them anymore do they? Where did you get it?"

So from just one little observation, I had a topic to ask him a question and continue the smalltalk. Another great conversation starter is music, if you're in an urban area there is nearly always some kind of music playing somewhere. Sometimes I'll comment on what's playing and ask if they know who the artist is (even if I know). If they do then great, I can ask questions about that and find out if we share any musical tastes. If they don't know then I'll comment on the genre and include a question, eg. "She sounds like a cat stuck in a dishwasher... But I don't know much about pop, I prefer rock myself. What about you?"

It takes practice and that practice will only come from actually trying it out in the field (or online) chatting away to people but it's definitely a skill you can train and once you get better at communication (and with practice, you will), the world kind of opens up a lot and feels a lot less intimidating.

Take this from a guy who used to be extremely, extremely shy when he was younger.

GravityUtilizer

GravityUtilizer

Born to lose
May 22, 2020
It's not a great time obviously but bartending helped me get out of my comfort zone. Unemployment, however, has put me right back there.

Reactions: Blueman