• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

H

hexesandcurses

Apr 3, 2022
One of the major reasons I find myself still here is my fear of death. Weirdly, I'm not as afraid of how I'll die as I am of what comes after. Maybe it's the leftover Catholic Guilt (thanks dad) or the fear of being wrong and therefore being shunned (thanks mom) but I find myself terrified of what comes after.

In particular, I'm afraid of the most sensible conclusion: there's nothing after. Even though I don't want to live this life, I do feel like it would be nice to live in a paradise-like place (heaven I guess) or at least be reincarnated or something. The reality that there's probably emptiness on the other end kind of makes me mad. I've spent the majority of my living time being sad or angry or just fucking uncomfortably weird and the child in me wants something in return instead of an endless void.

I'm aware that nothingness would also mean I wouldn't care anymore but that doesn't stop my now human conscience from being scared. Does anyone know how I could become more comfortable with dying? Once I jump that hurdle I believe I'll be ready to ctb.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Ginnn, ojinzo, SadVegan and 6 others
jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
I'm sorry you have conflicting and beliefs about the afterlife that disturb you. I just tell myself that I'll have no regrets once I'm dead because I won't exist. I don't believe I'd be happy in any afterlife anyway, heaven or not, so personally I'm thankful I believe in the nothingness. I hope you find peace *hugs*

• Hugs
Reactions: hexesandcurses, SadVegan, Forever Sleep and 1 other person
Jrmull1993

Jrmull1993

Warlock
Jul 13, 2022
@hexesandcurses I too was raised as a Catholic, and I certainly had the same fears as you.

It wasn't until I met my best (and only) friend who was raised in the Seventh Day Adventist Church. My understanding of what comes after death became crystal clear, and I feel that I'm in a much better position for my upcoming CTB date.

• Love
Reactions: hexesandcurses, jodes2 and obafgkm
O

obafgkm

Experienced
Jun 3, 2022
There is really nothing to fear. Fear makes sense only if it, through changes in people's action, changes the final outcome.

But there isn't really nothing to show that what people do in this world (good or bad, selfish or altruistic, stoic or hedonistic) will affect what will happen after death, whether it will be nothingness, paradise, reincarnation, alien abduction, or whenever. It's all wishful thinking.

Doing good can't even guarantee a good life in this world, how much can people know about after death?

Reactions: hexesandcurses
G

gimzero

Student
Aug 15, 2022
So all our actions didnt affect anything its like a matrix that failed what if we going to live in an hades with shadows only we going to left everything here bodies minds.

Reactions: hexesandcurses and obafgkm
C

crystalclear2102

Sep 5, 2022
One of the major reasons I find myself still here is my fear of death. Weirdly, I'm not as afraid of how I'll die as I am of what comes after. Maybe it's the leftover Catholic Guilt (thanks dad) or the fear of being wrong and therefore being shunned (thanks mom) but I find myself terrified of what comes after.

In particular, I'm afraid of the most sensible conclusion: there's nothing after. Even though I don't want to live this life, I do feel like it would be nice to live in a paradise-like place (heaven I guess) or at least be reincarnated or something. The reality that there's probably emptiness on the other end kind of makes me mad. I've spent the majority of my living time being sad or angry or just fucking uncomfortably weird and the child in me wants something in return instead of an endless void.

I'm aware that nothingness would also mean I wouldn't care anymore but that doesn't stop my now human conscience from being scared. Does anyone know how I could become more comfortable with dying? Once I jump that hurdle I believe I'll be ready to ctb.
I'd love to give you a meaningful answer, answer but I'm stuck on your same dilemma.

While my family had a catholic background it didn't particularly stick into me, I always have been fascinated with science and rationality and so far they have proven right.

If I had the certainty of the existence of some kind of afterlife, whatever form it could have probably I won't be so afraid to CTB.
The best scenario for me would be some kinda of new game+ or a new incarnation, trying to do better, or fucking up a bit less, however the idea of "losing" myself, all that I am and that I have done really make my burst into tears.

But... back to your question, I don't know if there is a unique way of being confortable while dying, I suppose everyone has it preferences.
For me it was doing so while surrounded by people that cared about me, but as you can guess I'm still here and I probably have traumatized them for life.

• Hugs
Reactions: hexesandcurses, y'ffre and obafgkm
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022

It's understandable that you would want vindication for what you've endured. I do too. But if you want to feel happy with your life, you're going to have to remain alive and try to get that. I know it's painful to feel that you've suffered for nothing and how I try to deal with that is to try to understand my life struggles in the greater context of things and realize that my suffering is just woven into the greater tapestry earthly existence. And then it doesn't seem quite as infurating. And like you said all the negative feelings however painful now will disappear.

I hope this helps some.

• Love
Reactions: hexesandcurses
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
There is really nothing to fear. Fear makes sense only if it, through changes in people's action, changes the final outcome.

But there isn't really nothing to show that what people do in this world (good or bad, selfish or altruistic, stoic or hedonistic) will affect what will happen after death, whether it will be nothingness, paradise, reincarnation, alien abduction, or whenever. It's all wishful thinking.

Doing good can't even guarantee a good life in this world, how much can people know about after death?
I think we do fear the unknown and the fact is no one knows for sure what happens after death.

I do like your rationalisation of fear- I guess it works for earthly matters- things we fear quite often pose a threat to us. It's useful to fear them because it means we'll likely try to avoid them.

Fear of death- whether that be the dread of not existing anymore or the fear of being punished in some sort of hell may not be rational but it doesn't take all the fear away. I think the problem with afterlife/reincarnation/nothingness is that it simply is down to belief- and things you believe in can still scare you.

O

obafgkm

Experienced
Jun 3, 2022
I think we do fear the unknown and the fact is no one knows for sure what happens after death.

I do like your rationalisation of fear- I guess it works for earthly matters- things we fear quite often pose a threat to us. It's useful to fear them because it means we'll likely try to avoid them.

Fear of death- whether that be the dread of not existing anymore or the fear of being punished in some sort of hell may not be rational but it doesn't take all the fear away. I think the problem with afterlife/reincarnation/nothingness is that it simply is down to belief- and things you believe in can still scare you.

I think you are right. We do fear the unknown. We avoid doing things, going to places, that we are unfamiliar with. Humans are risk averse, prefer to stay with what we already have, than risking life trying new things.

In a sense YouTube shows people there are things they can safely do. They didn't do them because those were not part of their daily life, outside their comfort zone. People start making sauerkraut at home while the dominant view tells people that bacteria are bad. Other people become yoga gurus.

Reactions: Forever Sleep
Gustav Hartmann

Gustav Hartmann

Mage
Aug 28, 2021
It doesn´t pay to deceive oneself. According to the latest findings in brain research it is very improbable that there is any kind of afterlife. This makes me rather comfortable with dying, because there will be nobody and nothing that could remember or regret anything, just like before birth. And there will be definitely nothing like hell. But I understand that not existing anymore scares you, I would call it one aspect of our survival instinct.

again_noidea

again_noidea

Experienced
Apr 22, 2021

Attachments

• 1660791845067873.png
    1660791845067873.png
    181 KB · Views: 0
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
The way that I see it death will come for us all one day eventually, its our only real purpose as humans and there is no escaping it, so therefore it shouldn't be feared. I believe that when we die we cease to exist and that is it for us. I find this thought to be very comforting. I believe non existence to be like how before we were born where time passed and yet we were not aware of anything. There is nothing to fear as we simply won't be there at that point. Fear is an emotion for the living and not the dead. When I am dead everything that is wrong with life will be gone. Non existence is ideal as the dead are incapable of suffering.

• Love
Reactions: hexesandcurses, obafgkm and justanotherone2022
justanotherone2022

justanotherone2022

Sep 2, 2022
"Fear is an emotion for the living and not the dead."

Thank you for that.

H

hexesandcurses

Apr 3, 2022
I'm sorry you have conflicting and beliefs about the afterlife that disturb you. I just tell myself that I'll have no regrets once I'm dead because I won't exist. I don't believe I'd be happy in any afterlife anyway, heaven or not, so personally I'm thankful I believe in the nothingness. I hope you find peace *hugs*
Thank you so much for your kindness, I hope you find peace as well someday 🫂
@hexesandcurses I too was raised as a Catholic, and I certainly had the same fears as you.

It wasn't until I met my best (and only) friend who was raised in the Seventh Day Adventist Church. My understanding of what comes after death became crystal clear, and I feel that I'm in a much better position for my upcoming CTB date.
Would you mind if I ask about your understanding of death and how it made you feel better? I'm very happy you were able to make peace with things!

"Doing good can't even guarantee a good life in this world, how much can people know about after death?" Really struck me. It's a perspective I haven't heard yet and it's a good one to have gotten so thank you very much. It did help me find more peace with the situation.
I'd love to give you a meaningful answer, answer but I'm stuck on your same dilemma.

While my family had a catholic background it didn't particularly stick into me, I always have been fascinated with science and rationality and so far they have proven right.

If I had the certainty of the existence of some kind of afterlife, whatever form it could have probably I won't be so afraid to CTB.
The best scenario for me would be some kinda of new game+ or a new incarnation, trying to do better, or fucking up a bit less, however the idea of "losing" myself, all that I am and that I have done really make my burst into tears.

But... back to your question, I don't know if there is a unique way of being confortable while dying, I suppose everyone has it preferences.
For me it was doing so while surrounded by people that cared about me, but as you can guess I'm still here and I probably have traumatized them for life.
I'm so sorry about you and your loved one's experience before. Having my family around me after a failed attempt was one of the worst experiences I've ever had, I'm not sure if that was a similar situation to yours but I feel for you either way.

Thank you for sharing your own fears and frustrations while trying to help ease my own. Weirdly, just the knowledge that other people have those same feelings soothed me. I'm used to two extremes: either people don't care about what happens after they die or they care so much they try to force that belief on me. I also wish I could be surrounded by people I love when it happens, I feel like even having just one person there would make me feel 100x better about it.

I hope you find peace someday in whatever form it comes, you're a lovely person ❤️
It's understandable that you would want vindication for what you've endured. I do too. But if you want to feel happy with your life, you're going to have to remain alive and try to get that. I know it's painful to feel that you've suffered for nothing and how I try to deal with that is to try to understand my life struggles in the greater context of things and realize that my suffering is just woven into the greater tapestry earthly existence. And then it doesn't seem quite as infurating. And like you said all the negative feelings however painful now will disappear.

I hope this helps some.
This was really lovely advice so thank you so much! It almost brought me to tears to think about my life in the grand scheme of it all, but not as being purposeless, but being a piece of something bigger and beautiful. It does give me some peace to think of it like that. Maybe it's just my own ego but it's nice to feel even slightly like my existence mattered.
The way that I see it death will come for us all one day eventually, its our only real purpose as humans and there is no escaping it, so therefore it shouldn't be feared. I believe that when we die we cease to exist and that is it for us. I find this thought to be very comforting. I believe non existence to be like how before we were born where time passed and yet we were not aware of anything. There is nothing to fear as we simply won't be there at that point. Fear is an emotion for the living and not the dead. When I am dead everything that is wrong with life will be gone. Non existence is ideal as the dead are incapable of suffering.
What a great outlook on it all. It does seem a bit silly to be so afraid of something that existed long before me and will exist long after me. Especially because I'm destined to die anyway, to fade back into nothingness. Dead people can't be afraid and I was born to die anyway. Thank you for these transformative words ❤️

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: obafgkm and jodes2
evey8112

evey8112

Jan 25, 2021

I know not to many people on this forum want to hear this but "There is life after death" It's more peaceful then you think, what you carry now is the human experience as a soul you lose all the heavy shit when you shed the shell/body. Here is a website to prove my point thousands of story's of people who have died or NDE and have had an experience beyond the body. Hope this helps https://www.nderf.org/

Reactions: hexesandcurses, obafgkm and jodes2
K

killja

Mar 17, 2018
Every time a thought is born, you are born. When the thought is gone, you are gone. Thought is your enemy