fleetingnight

fleetingnight

incapable of shutting up
May 2, 2024
I don't know what search terms to use. I don't want to say where I live, so I can't have anyone actually help me by searching, but I wanna know if there's any way to find buildings near me over a certain height?

I want to find the tallest parking lot around me, because it's easier to get on the top floor of a parking lot than other buildings (you're actually allowed to be on top of a lot of them, there's usually parking there)

All I'm getting is fucking Yelp reviews about how many cars they can hold. I can't even find info on the number of stories a lot has. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I don't know if there's maybe some easier way to find this that I'm not thinking of

I know jumping has a lot of drawbacks, and I really hate to do it in public. I'm just thinking about it. I'm in so much pain right now and I have no money for other methods

Reactions: HeartSayako
DoubleUp8

DoubleUp8

Gambler
Dec 14, 2023
How many floors high would you think to have a good chance not surviving? I know of 1 13 floors and I am not sure if that's high enough. Only thing I can think for you is go look at all of em or try to ask people in conversation not in the context of jumping but just in conversation like "the empire state building is the tallest in new york. I wonder what the tallest building is here??"

A

Artemisia

Experienced
May 24, 2024
Hmmm... You look up?

I think that to be really safe, it's above 10 or so. Someone who's more familiar with this method should confirm.

• Yay!
Reactions: treetop.grazer and JustA_LittlePerson
J

jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

Jul 8, 2020
Drive around and look for them instead. I'd look for at least 8 stories. Hospitals, apartment complexes, hotels, maybe?

Reactions: fleetingnight
fleetingnight

fleetingnight

incapable of shutting up
May 2, 2024
Hmmm... You look up?

I think that to be really safe, it's above 10 or so. Someone who's more familiar with this method should confirm.
I think so, but I can't even find information on the amount of stories any parking lot here has. There might be none with that many floors, but if there's one with like 8, I might try it. There's a lot of big buildings where I live, so it's possible. But I can't find that info anywhere.
Drive around and look for them instead. I'd look for at least 8 stories. Hospitals, apartment complexes, hotels, maybe?
Those are good places to start, thanks.

It's hard for me to go around in person, so I wish I could find it online. Maybe there's no way.

Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
Just because you find a tall building does not mean you have access to the roof. Most windows are sealed.
Parking garages are usually a few stories tall at most.
Many taller bridges are getting fencing installed to stop jumping. They did that here.
You might contemplate other methods in case your search is unsuccessful.

Reactions: Cakeisalie and Artemisia
A

Artemisia

Experienced
May 24, 2024
I think so, but I can't even find information on the amount of stories any parking lot here has. There might be none with that many floors, but if there's one with like 8, I might try it. There's a lot of big buildings where I live, so it's possible. But I can't find that info anywhere.

Those are good places to start, thanks.

It's hard for me to go around in person, so I wish I could find it online. Maybe there's no way.
Like Worndown said, most parking lots aren't usually that tall and it's really hard to count how many stories high they are due to how they're built.
Ordinary buildings are probably a lot easier to count the stories by the number of windows. 10 isn't so high that you look up and can't really see all the way to the top. We'll, if that happens you know it's a really tall one!
And then there's the problem with access too. In most it won't be easy accessing the roof. You definitely need to check the conditions in advance.

I don't remember the URL now and it's possible it's not implemented yet for your city, but there's a site that shows where the shadows of buildings fall at each time of the day. If you can find it, it can be an indirect way to find tall buildings.

Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
If you can't physically get places, can you use street view on google maps to see buildings and count levels?

Reactions: juna and Mothman.
A

Artemisia

Experienced
May 24, 2024
I think the poster was being facetious and very literal, as in move your neck and head upward facing and judge building height by looking at them irl. Of course, I could be wrong.
I was half joking of course.
Pretty sure OP's reply was to the second part of my comment, where I say I think 10 stories high is the safe height to insure it all goes well.

Reactions: locked*n*loaded
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
I don't know what search terms to use. I don't want to say where I live, so I can't have anyone actually help me by searching, but I wanna know if there's any way to find buildings near me over a certain height?

I want to find the tallest parking lot around me, because it's easier to get on the top floor of a parking lot than other buildings (you're actually allowed to be on top of a lot of them, there's usually parking there)

All I'm getting is fucking Yelp reviews about how many cars they can hold. I can't even find info on the number of stories a lot has. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I don't know if there's maybe some easier way to find this that I'm not thinking of

I know jumping has a lot of drawbacks, and I really hate to do it in public. I'm just thinking about it. I'm in so much pain right now and I have no money for other methods
Jumping is my backup plan, so I did a bit of research, starting with looking up "rooftop access in (city name)" and going to the "forums" section of the results.

You'll likely see posts with people looking for spots to take pictures and etc. Make a list of the suggested locations somewhere.

Like you, I couldn't find any information on specific heights, so after I made a list I went into Google Maps street view to eyeball estimate each one's height. That'll help weed out the obviously too short ones. After that you probably have to walk/drive to each location

CocoToxBase

CocoToxBase

Experienced
Jan 8, 2024
I used my drone to find a good spot, had a fly around and found a building high enough with construction work on the outside so it was easy access. Definitely not my method though but I wish you the best

Reactions: Decided98 and divinemistress36
devils~advocate

devils~advocate

Student
Feb 29, 2024
Study of construction accidents in India found that nearly half of all fatal falls happen at a height between 0 and 20 feet.
The higher...the more effective. Google maps 3D gives a great indication of height.
The one problem is to be able to have access to these areas.
Some are open to the public....hotels, high rise business, bridges, etc.

• Informative
Defenestration

Defenestration

I want to have the courage to defenestrate myself
Oct 25, 2020
I put an ad on the networks...I tried several times pretending to be a photography enthusiast and that I was looking for someone who lived at least on the 15th floor. After several times, I was able to meet a guard who was able to open a terrace for me 60 m high but I did not succeed because of si

• Informative
Reactions: fleetingnight, Decided98, permanently tired and 2 others
Xe-

Xe-

Seems better than Tinder
Jul 29, 2024
I think I will carry a notebook with me and try to mark areas I pass. I don't have my own transportation so remembering areas that have high buildings does get hard to do. I have the same problem as OP. California has so many tall buildings, but I am in Ohio.