How much money do you spend for subscription services monthly?

• 0-10 euros/dollars/pounds

Votes: 18 72.0%
  • 10-30 bucks

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • 30-50 bucks

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • 50-90 bucks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • more than 90 bucks per month

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I think we live now in the era of subscription services. I am not sure whether I really save money with it probably the opposite. Due to the fact there are so many of them one can lose the overview. In the past I had 1-2 subscriptions which I forgot to cancel them. I was extremely depressed when I signed the contract and I was pretty angry on me when I realized how much money I wasted. I have a lot of subscription services. I like to binge them and then cancel them when I am done. (If this is possible). I have some subs where I sometimes feel guilty and think I have to use it all the time because I spend money for it.
I am very anxious about future poverty and I think this will be a main cause for my suicide. I already try to save a lot of money. I am not sure how high my costs are compared to other people. I never buy smartphones or other technical stuff with a contract. Usually I pay one time the full amount,

Here comes my list - I won't give exact names which services I subbed because I am scared about being identified.

I subbed to two news/political magazines: 17 euros per month. Clearly my guilty pleasure. I love to follow the media and politics. I use it daily for several hours.
mobile Internet: 5 euros per month (I don't count the internet at home because I share it with someone else)
VPN and anti-virus services: 1,66 euro per month. It was hard to get them this cheap. The VPN is better than freeware but not good enough to bypass geoblocking in many cases

This was it. So this makes 27 euros per month (324 euros per year) I think that is pretty cheap.

Thouh one could add this enforced sub: German public media fee it is roundabout 18 euros per month. I know many people who really hate that. You have to pay it in any case - otherwise you have to go to prison (no joke - some people depict thermselves as renegades because of that). Personally I use German public media daily a lot. Probably because I am interested in the news and politics. I think the German services are superior to the BBC. At least from what I have heard. Though many Germans are discontent about certain structures withhin the service. Moreover they say it is too left. I won't go into details. They support some of my favorite youtubers with that money. I think that is a pretty smart step, This for sure increased my support for it. On the other hand side 18 euros is pretty expensive. They might want to call it democracy contribution. I am not sure whether this will increase its popularity. But this is off-topic.

Here are some other sub-services and what I think about them (as if anyone would be interested in my opinion):

soccer or sport subs: I had some of them in the past. Though I am glad I canceled them. Way too expensive, the sport is corrupted by money interests. We adapted to the British sport services standards. The prizes increased further and further. I think you have to pay 40 euros per month to watch champions league. I think even if I had the money I would not waste that much money

streaming services like amazon prime/netflix: never had one. For me that is a waste of time. I quit watching series years ago. Not interested anymore. Also pretty expensive the services fight each other and as what I have heard it is pretty annoying that there are many exclusive titles. I don't know how much a sub costs. Though I would always choose youtube. I love youtube. And honestly I would pay a lot if the content of youtube was behind a paywall. Gladly I can pay with my data and I use ad-blockers.

no game pass/ no music streaming: I don't like digital gaming services. I really dislike the development in this industry. It ruins gaming for me because I love to buy used game in order to save money. Music streaming is only for lazy people. This is at least my impression. There are legal and free ways to get music songs with youtube downloaders. As far as I know they are free and legal where I live (when you have no economical interest for example selling it). Though I won't guarantee it. I am always surprised why so many people waste so much money monthly just because they are too lazy to use youtube downloaders. But I am not sure whether it is legal in other countries. Though I am quite sure there are downloading sites where music downloads are illegal and you might have to pay a very high fee for it.

amazon prime: I don't like Jeff Bezos and Amazon in general is overrated. This is at least my opinion.

gacha game subs: They even start subs in them. Though when I did the math I was pretty shocked what you get for your money: barely anything. my other investments are so much more worth than the shit gacha games offer. And I currently play 3 of them. And I am free2play gamer.

One could even buy a sub for chatGPT. Also a waste of money in my opinion at least for now. There are ways to use it for free.

This post got a little bit long. What do you think about our current subscription era? Do you like or dislike it?
How much do you spend? And for what?

Reactions: Ultracheese
Ultracheese

Ultracheese

Arcanist
Dec 1, 2022
I was curious about this, so I decided to look up my subscriptions. Roughly $55. I'm subscribed to Netflix, HBO Max, and Apple One, which is a bundle subscription where I get access to Apple Music, News, and a few other things.

Reactions: noname223
FormerlyFe(IV)

FormerlyFe(IV)

Snapped.
Jun 27, 2023
Currently:

Spotify - 21.00 BRL
Their folder structure won the streaming wars for me.​
Amazon Prime - 9.90 BRL
I have a Fire Stick​
Disney+/Star+/Mercado Livre (LATAM version of Ebay) - 9.90 BRL
It was at a promotional value and I share the account with my friends.​
I don't really care too much about it.​
RuneScape - 21.90 BRL
Subscription-based MMO​

Totals to around 60 BRL, or 15 US dollars.

Stopped:

YouTube Premium
I stopped after they removed the dislike counter.​
Then I got an ad-free YT player for my TV, Android FTW​
Tidal
Better music quality and music video playlists are a huge plus​
But I was already paying for Spotify and I decided to cut costs​
Deezer
My first music streaming service and it was super cheap​

Quickly Canceled:

Game Pass

Got the trial, it's neat, but not as convenient as it sounds like​
Kinda OK selection of games, app sucks​
I always pirate games anyways, so why bother paying​
Gym
I went there for a week and gave up. Felt really lost and the instructor was of no help.​
OnlyFans
Support your local artist, I guess 🤷
Got a month for two creators, ripped their content, canceled.​
Some support is better than nothing​
AbbyWinters
Another adult site​
Got a month, downloaded half a terabyte of the videos I wanted, canceled​

P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
I don't understand why my family members (and people in general) prefer to pay for like I think 4 or 5 streaming services or more

I just pirate a lot of stuff but also if I am lazy I just use their stuff

edit: I am thinking about subscribing to Criterion though or Shudder

Reactions: theslasher
Aesthetic guy

Aesthetic guy

Just hanging around...
Dec 13, 2022
living in one of the most restrict countries in the world...
so its just vpn to have access to the internet...

Reactions: psp3000
carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
Normally not subscribed to anything but I currently have a World of Warcraft sub and I mooch Netflix

narval

narval

Enlightened
Jan 22, 2020
Around 30€/month and separately, 20€/3 months:
-Netlix because yes (i'm bored? netflix)
-Protonmail (i'm interested in drive, sooner or later in mail-related things.)
-The thing of 20€/3 months is a post office box. IDK how long i'll need it. At least, a year.

P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
I spend 0 on (online) subscription services. All I want to read/watch/listen to is free of charge and with a good addbloocker even utube vids are free of ads.

Reactions: psp3000 and FormerlyFe(IV)
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Nothing at the moment. In the past, I have subscribed to Amazon Prime, Netflix and XBox Gamepass. Not usually all at the same time though.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
G

glendaaa

Student
Jul 11, 2023
I don't sub to anything. I don't have enough money lol

theslasher

theslasher

psychonaut
Jun 12, 2023
I currently have 2 subscriptions
- I pay about $25 per year for this fitness app called Hevy
- I pay like $10 per month for Planet Fitness but I'll probably cancel it

Other than that, since I currently live at my parents home, my main monthly costs are all from credit cards and I plan to put everything towards that. I'm never buying anything I can't afford ever again, because I absolutely despise monthly payments.