sanction

sanction

sanctioned
Mar 15, 2019
If you really think about it, how is life fair at all??? The average age a person begins to start paying their own bills / live on their own, is around their 20's

For this example, lets use 25 years old as the starting age (could vary depending on different countries). The average life-span is around 80 years, which means the average person needs to survive on their own for approximately 55 years

With inflation and increase cost of living, the average yearly living cost is probably around $30,000 to $60,000 USD in most first world countries. We will use $40,000 in this example

$40,000 x 55 years = $2.2 million

How do you justify forgiving your parents?? Just because they decided to have kids, we are now stuck with a $2 million dollar life-long debt/ huge bill

How does this make any sense at all?? Because my parents decided having kids was a good idea, I now need to come up with $2 million, to satisfy their mistake and fantasy

How does it make sense because of that, I'm now stuck to need to buy my own house (to prevent being homeless), buy my own car, buy my own clothes, my own food, my own medicine, my own utility bills, solve my own problems, protect myself from all dangers, face my own death, and the list goes on, and on

How do people justify this logic??? Its not that I'm trying to be negative, or sound "spoiled". But it truly doesn't make any sense if you think about it. It is a VERY VERY bullshit logic to accept and find peace with

By the way, this is not intended to offend any parents on this forum. It is just a general rant, as a human. Thanks for your understanding

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: SMmetalhead36, darkenmydoorstep, astr4 and 17 others
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Visionary
Jan 1, 2024
Most procreation is selfish to me

• Love
Reactions: Moniker, darkenmydoorstep, astr4 and 7 others
WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit

I'm late, i'm late. For a very important date.
Feb 12, 2019
How do you justify forgiving your parents??

While I agree the cost of living is going up and it's bullshit, most people still want to be alive. How could your parents have known that you'd end up so unhappy? Should no one ever be born because a minority of people end up suicidal? Because the world is tough and life can be unfair? I have serious physical illness that has brought me to this site, but I can't really blame my parents for having me. How could they have known?

• Love
Reactions: AvwJ, Decided98, sanction and 3 others
sanction

sanction

sanctioned
Mar 15, 2019
While I agree the cost of living is going up and it's bullshit, most people still want to be alive. How could your parents have known that you'd end up so unhappy? Should no one ever be born because a minority of people end up suicidal? Because the world is tough and life can be unfair? I have serious physical illness that has brought me to this site, but I can't really blame my parents for having me. How could they have known?
I understand that logic, but being forced to take care of a $2 million dollar bill, as mentioned in the original post, is really not something simple to expect from a person. Really, think about it. We're not talking $2000. We're talking $2 million dollars!!!

What I want to point out is that society really has it backwards

Because this is what's seen as normal, and even celebrated

I could understand if someone wants a kid, while also being able to simply understand this "kid" might also live for up to 100 years. That is A LOT of meals required. A lot of resources required. This kid will need a house. Will need a car. May have medical needs. And the list goes on... and on.... Everything cost money. Nothing is free and just falls from the sky. And it clearly adds up to millions of dollars. How is this not selfish, to force this type of "responsibility" on another innocent person???

How do people label this as "love" ???? It's literally something you would do to an enemy instead out of hate. It just makes no sense. Although I understand your point, but I just need to rant, because it's simply a very hard pill to swallow

Before having a pet (dog/ cat), the common sense is to make sure you have a place for it to live in, food for it to eat, have time to be it's companion till they die, able to take care of their medical needs, otherwise it doesn't make sense to have them

But somehow for humans, this logic is completely ignored, simply because humans are more "intelligent" ??? More like an excuse, in which our "intelligence" is being abused and exploited

Anyways, don't mean to debate. Just needed to rant. It's been tough stuck in survival mode. And with many decades ahead still left to pay off this million dollar bill on behalf of my parents..... is just beyond exhausting. And guess What??? If I'm not able to do this, it's also my fault apparently

Welcome to hell everybody

Last edited:
Reactions: lnlybnny, Unknown21, Decided98 and 3 others
Blue Elephant

Blue Elephant

Arcanist
Sep 22, 2023
@sanction Wow! I never looked at it that way. You are right, of course. Money is a gateway, it's there to keep you in check, to allow them to control you. Do you want to survive? Well, then you need to pay for it! You need to get on your knees and beg for a chance to be part of the slave group.

@WhiteRabbit Do you actually think that parents ever stop and think "Oh gee I wonder how our child will feel in this fucked up nightmare?"? No! They don't! We would be extinct a long time ago if they would have possessed intelligence.

Reactions: astr4, lnlybnny, Unknown21 and 4 others
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
I understand your way of thinking and the calculation but the vast majority of people don't think this way. It's a result of the artificial environment we humans have created for us and evolutionary we have not adapted to this environment yet. We created money that we need to get everything it's essential for life in the world we have created but we cannot eat money yet it's the fuel for life.

Nature would provide everything for free that we would need in our natural habitat.

Reactions: astr4, AvwJ, frost_ and 5 others
WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit

I'm late, i'm late. For a very important date.
Feb 12, 2019
Do you actually think that parents ever stop and think "Oh gee I wonder how our child will feel in this fucked up nightmare?"? No! They don't! We would be extinct a long time ago if they would have possessed intelligence.
I guess I just feel like antinatalism isn't really good or realistic solution to anything , but I think OP is mostly venting about how overwhelming adulthood can be and I get that.

Reactions: AvwJ and sanction
sanction

sanction

sanctioned
Mar 15, 2019
I understand your way of thinking and the calculation but the vast majority of people don't think this way. It's a result of the artificial environment we humans have created for us and evolutionary we have not adapted to this environment yet. We created money that we need to get everything it's essential for life in the world we have created but we cannot eat money yet it's the fuel for life.

Nature would provide everything for free that we would need in our natural habitat.
I agree, I know what you mean

The part that sucks is, because my parents needed a companion, I am then stuck to pay for it out of my own pocket for 50 years, and it is also my fault if I am not satisfied with this

This type of treatment/ expectation is literally also perceived as the most genuine form of love

Society really has it backwards lol

• Hugs
Reactions: darkenmydoorstep, Unknown21, sserafim and 1 other person
Blue Elephant

Blue Elephant

Arcanist
Sep 22, 2023
I guess I just feel like antinatalism isn't really good or realistic solution to anything , but I think OP is mostly venting about how overwhelming adulthood can be and I get that.
There are many solutions to many problems, the problem is not only that humans don't want to solve them but that they are creating more every day. @sanction sees one of these problems, he sees the hard and horrible truth, a truth that most people are sustaining. It's only natural to feel overwhelmed. Bloody hell! I'm amazed at how I wake up every day and somehow manage to put one foot in front of the other and keep walking forward.

Reactions: Unknown21, sserafim and sanction
J

joedabest123

Jun 22, 2024
Cells consume, life itself is wrong so it means death is right. But you can't side with that, so you live even when it means eating" - Rick Sanchez

• Love
Reactions: sanction and Josh007
dreambound

dreambound

Student
Dec 14, 2021
Also its worth throwing into the equation , that we are the result of a conditioning
system , through parents, schools, education & every form of media that makes exactly what you described
seem 'normal' or even desired....

Last edited:
Reactions: sserafim and sanction
fleetingnight

fleetingnight

incapable of shutting up
May 2, 2024
It's not fair. I think a lot of parents are too idealistic. They want to believe their child will be special, exactly what they want, and able to succeed in life easily, so they choose to believe it. That, or they just don't think about the consequences on the child, only the consequences on themselves. I don't think that's an excuse, and I still don't forgive my parents for it. It's just my best guess on why they'd do it

Last edited:
Reactions: sserafim, astr4, divinemistress36 and 1 other person
Kismet

Kismet

life is pointless
Feb 16, 2022
The way things are now for the majority of people is broken. The US is so damn screwed up.

Reactions: sserafim, divinemistress36 and sanction
sanction

sanction

sanctioned
Mar 15, 2019
Although this may offend some people (don't take it personal), I just wish people would apply the same common sense towards having pets, also towards humans

You wouldn't have a pet if you don't have a place for it to live, food for it to eat, able to cover all it's needs for their whole life

If you want someone to be your pet, then in return, also ACTUALLY have something to offer, just to make it a fair trade. Because for humans, the logic is, if you decide to have a "human pet", then they also need to buy their own house, their own car, fund their own food and daily needs, fully take care of themselves, just so in return you can have a free "human pet"

Who is the real spoiled and entitled person here?? Because society truly has it backwards

This is also what separates the rich and poor people. The rich have it planned out more properly. When they have kids, its more of a fair game. Throughout their kid's life, they have a consistent flow of resources to provide them, to ensure their overall existence is more smooth. This simply makes it a more reasonable trade

But for the poor, it is literally acceptable to bring another human into this world, and if they end up homeless when they grow up, then it is their own problem....... everything is on them if they end up struggling. How is this in any shape or form called "love"???? You got to be bullshitting me

Because life itself is pointless. We all come here with endless different needs to fulfill, while in the end, just to simply die. So when someone is forced into this life, it is a very inconvenient thing to endure, and a total sacrifice. so the person who decided to play this game, should apply a similar logic as having a pet, or at least able to plan and manage it like how some of the rich people do

Otherwise, it is truly not worth it, and extremely unfair

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for hearing me rant and vent

Last edited:
Reactions: sserafim, lnlybnny, Unknown21 and 2 others
Unknown21

Unknown21

?/?/2024
Apr 25, 2023
I can confirm that. I live in extreme poverty in a third world country. The backwardness here is very high. Most people believe that parents give privilege to their children just because they gave birth to them.I cannot find a job that provides me with a decent life, I cannot leave my parents' home, there is no future, nothing.
They only gave birth to me to ensure that someone would take care of them in their old age. I was not intended from the beginning. This is the only reason for my birth. The economy continues to devastate to the point that it has become very difficult to eat here.Food here is very expensive, life is very expensive and there are no salaries to support that, no opportunities, nothing, just you and suicide.

• Hugs
Reactions: Blue Elephant and sanction
sanction

sanction

sanctioned
Mar 15, 2019
I can confirm that. I live in extreme poverty in a third world country. The backwardness here is very high. Most people believe that parents give privilege to their children just because they gave birth to them.I cannot find a job that provides me with a decent life, I cannot leave my parents' home, there is no future, nothing.
They only gave birth to me to ensure that someone would take care of them in their old age. I was not intended from the beginning. This is the only reason for my birth. The economy continues to devastate to the point that it has become very difficult to eat here.Food here is very expensive, life is very expensive and there are no salaries to support that, no opportunities, nothing, just you and suicide.
Sorry to hear and I feel your pain

In the past decades and centuries, many parents were immature and not informed enough of how difficult and messy this decision could become

Now with the internet, I believe in this new generation, there will be a big decrease in people wanting to have children, simply because there is now more awareness, which will be a good thing

Reactions: SMmetalhead36, Kismet, sserafim and 1 other person
lnlybnny

lnlybnny

Experienced
Jan 25, 2024
Absolutely endorse everything you said. On top of all that they even expect you to look after and take care of them when they get older, not even knowing you can't take care of yourself lol

• Aww..
Reactions: SMmetalhead36, Kismet, sserafim and 2 others
Unknown21

Unknown21

?/?/2024
Apr 25, 2023
Sorry to hear and I feel your pain

In the past decades and centuries, many parents were immature and not informed enough of how difficult and messy this decision could become

Now with the internet, I believe in this new generation, there will be a big decrease in people wanting to have children, simply because there is now more awareness, which will be a good thing
I hope so. I do not wish our suffering on anyone. I hope that we will be compensated in one way or another, in the afterlife for example.
Absolutely endorse everything you said. On top of all that they even expect you to look after and take care of them when they get older, not even knowing you can't take care of yourself lol
I need an operation/ surgery on my shoulder, and I need to go to the dentist, but I don't have any money or work. I don't know how they imagined that I would help them financially ,I can't even afford food.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: sanction and lnlybnny
F

frost_

Jun 6, 2024
My guess is life isn't fair for those of us who see things this way. If more people saw things the same way, antinatalism wouldn't just be a fringe philosophy.

It's puzzling, but on balance, I suppose most people, even if they're not feeling happy, they're not feeling necessarily suicidal about this. It's the only way to explain it that makes sense to me. Maybe for others, the question of whether life is fair or unfair is a question they've moved on from.

But yeah, I think everyone agrees the cost of living is getting pretty ridiculous these days.