are there any exercises?

Reactions: BlackDragonof1989, lv-gras, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
B

Ben

Warlock
Sep 12, 2018
i heard you can learn it

are there any exercises?

Expose yourself to as many peoples stories as you can. The more information you have about somebody, the more likely you are to find something about them you can relate to.

It will not come overnight. The best excerise for empathy is just listening to people.

Reactions: Miss clefable, BlackDragonof1989, Nofaith and 2 others
L

lv-gras

fledermausßßßßßßßß
Jul 27, 2018
Expose yourself to as many peoples stories as you can. The more information you have about somebody, the more likely you are to find something about them you can relate to.

It will not come overnight. The best excerise for empathy is just listening to people.

agree to this, just listing to people, which can be reading their writing, watching what they are doing, lots of things, doesn't have to be literal. just different kinds of people and having an open mind.

and sometimes fiction or other reading can help too, as long as you understand that it may not be 100% accurate and identical to a particular real person. it can still be neat.

Reactions: Pointlessabyss, BlackDragonof1989, Nofaith and 3 others
B

Ben

Warlock
Sep 12, 2018
agree to this, just listing to people, which can be reading their writing, watching what they are doing, lots of things, doesn't have to be literal. just different kinds of people and having an open mind.

and sometimes fiction or other reading can help too, as long as you understand that it may not be 100% accurate and identical to a particular real person. it can still be neat.

Well said!

Reactions: BlackDragonof1989, lv-gras and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
couldntthinkofaname

couldntthinkofaname

Mage
Aug 31, 2018
are you guys aware between the difference between cognitive and emotional empathy?

is that even real or also just made up by psychologists?

Reactions: BlackDragonof1989 and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
B

Ben

Warlock
Sep 12, 2018
are you guys aware between the difference between cognitive and emotional empathy?

Cognitive empathy is the largely conscious drive to recognize accurately and understand another's emotional state. Sometimes we call this kind of empathy "perspective taking."

Our advice is relevant to your question

Reactions: Miss clefable, BlackDragonof1989, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 2 others
L

lv-gras

fledermausßßßßßßßß
Jul 27, 2018

it can be complicated and some of the things that psychologists say about the subject can be oversimplified or dumb

but there are different ways of having empathy towards others and some. are more automatic and some are more emotional but some you can be more thoughtful about.

Reactions: BlackDragonof1989, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Nofaith
L

lv-gras

fledermausßßßßßßßß
Jul 27, 2018
oh and don't believe anything by simon baron cohen on the subject, man is a asshole dumbass.

Reactions: BlackDragonof1989 and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
couldntthinkofaname

couldntthinkofaname

Mage
Aug 31, 2018
Cognitive empathy is the largely conscious drive to recognize accurately and understand another's emotional state. Sometimes we call this kind of empathy "perspective taking."

Our advice is relevant to your question

do you think social isolation leads to a decline in cognitive empathy over time?

Reactions: Ben, BlackDragonof1989 and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
couldntthinkofaname

couldntthinkofaname

Mage
Aug 31, 2018
it can be complicated and some of the things that psychologists say about the subject can be oversimplified or dumb

but there are different ways of having empathy towards others and some. are more automatic and some are more emotional but some you can be more thoughtful about.

did i get this right?

cognitive empathy = perspective taking

emotional empathy = actually feeling what other people feel, feeling compassion

emotional empathy cant be learned in opposite to cognitive empathy.

psychopath and similar score often high on high cognitive empathy but arent capable for emotional empathy

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Desperate_Soul and BlackDragonof1989
B

Ben

Warlock
Sep 12, 2018
do you think social isolation leads to a decline in cognitive empathy over time?

Abosulety. You have nothing to compare your own emotions to anymore. Your sense of what is "normal" will start to fade away.

Reactions: couldntthinkofaname, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and lv-gras
L

lv-gras

fledermausßßßßßßßß
Jul 27, 2018

yeah, it can. if you aren't being exposed to other people or other ways of looking at things, your ability to understand could decrease with time

Reactions: couldntthinkofaname, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and satou
couldntthinkofaname

couldntthinkofaname

Mage
Aug 31, 2018
Abosulety. You have nothing to compare your own emotions to anymore. Your sense of what is "normal" will start to fade away.

funny how the matthew effect applies to so many things in life

"I tell you, that to every one who has will more be given; but from him who has not, even what he has will be taken away."

Luke 19:26, RSV.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Ben
Temporarilyabsurd

Temporarilyabsurd

NOISE:signal
Apr 27, 2018
funny how the matthew effect applies to so many things in life

"I tell you, that to every one who has will more be given; but from him who has not, even what he has will be taken away."

Luke 19:26, RSV.

I didn't realize that had a name .

Cheers St.Matt ....

That quote has ALWAYS pissed me right off.

I think ( positively ...) it has to do with appreciation and gratitude .
Appreciating and being grateful for what little ( in comparison to others ) we feel we have ...

Plenty of seemingly well to do folk do not appreciate the 'free' things in life ...

It's that happy poor people thing ... if they have love in a family , community , get their dopamine from belonging ?

I wiki'd this ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_mind

It might be informative .
there are so many models of human stuff !

One of the reasons I am here is to explore that world with the help of you guys ...
( Apart from the obvious disaffection with the whole kaboooodle when I'm eclipsed by whatever that mood thing is ...)

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and couldntthinkofaname
couldntthinkofaname

couldntthinkofaname

Mage
Aug 31, 2018
So what exactly do you want to learn and why? Do you want to learn to be kind?

i need to understand people better

Reactions: Temporarilyabsurd, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and lv-gras
Temporarilyabsurd

Temporarilyabsurd

NOISE:signal
Apr 27, 2018
i need to understand people better

Maybe , thats the circular thing ?
Understanding others is understanding ourselves ....

Communication I guess .
Like on here ... and then in real life.

It is tricky when anxiety and social difficulties are at play .

It's been a struggle for me , although I have been lucky to encounter some folk open to
discuss it and share their perspectives irl/

This board is helping me heaps.

I guess like a lot of things , it is a case of bridging the gap between the abstract ideas and ones own
personal experience .

Maybe recount some irl stuff here and get some feed back .

I VENT like crazy here and appreciate just being heard and sometimes / often get a good 'other' view of mu situation .

Reactions: couldntthinkofaname and lv-gras