Infinite Solipsist

Infinite Solipsist

Jun 20, 2024
I know this is one of the more uncomfortable subjects when discussing firearms for CTB so I've put it under NSFW. Obviously, you shouldn't use firearms indoors because it will ruin the house you're in but what else could you do to protect the person/people that discover your body? Would a balaclava be effective at containing the skull fragments in one place? How about doing it under a tarp/ blanket? What other preparations could be made to make it easier for first responders to clean up the mess? The modern internet is too heavily sanitized anymore for me to find decent imagery on the aftermath so I'm not really sure what works and what doesn't.

Reactions: Joarga, etherealspring, davidtorez and 1 other person
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
I know this is one of the more uncomfortable subjects when discussing firearms for CTB so I've put it under NSFW. Obviously, you shouldn't use firearms indoors because it will ruin the house you're in but what else could you do to protect the person/people that discover your body? Would a balaclava be effective at containing the skull fragments in one place? How about doing it under a tarp/ blanket? What other preparations could be made to make it easier for first responders to clean up the mess? The modern internet is too heavily sanitized anymore for me to find decent imagery on the aftermath so I'm not really sure what works and what doesn't.
I imagine lying on your back on a tarp placed over solid earth or some such (think backyard) would at least mostly keep things from going upwards in addition to preventing any collateral damage from bullets going through the head. Sandbags or other objects placed around the head might help constrain everything further, as might a plastic bag/sheet placed around or over the head (maybe pinned down by the sandbags).

Theory drawing attached. Yellow sandbags, black ground, pink tarp, red shotgun, green person.

Important note: Might need to place something under the head/neck to position it an angle at which you're shooting the right spot AND making sure the bullets are positioned towards the ground.

Attachments

• IMG_2685.jpeg
    IMG_2685.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 0
DefinitelyReady

DefinitelyReady

Why, do the birds, go on singing??
Mar 14, 2024
I know this is one of the more uncomfortable subjects when discussing firearms for CTB so I've put it under NSFW. Obviously, you shouldn't use firearms indoors because it will ruin the house you're in but what else could you do to protect the person/people that discover your body? Would a balaclava be effective at containing the skull fragments in one place? How about doing it under a tarp/ blanket? What other preparations could be made to make it easier for first responders to clean up the mess? The modern internet is too heavily sanitized anymore for me to find decent imagery on the aftermath so I'm not really sure what 0 and what doesn't.
I was going to say lie on a tarp with it wrapped over, or a sheet on top of you. Towel on your face and (assuming it's a handgun), shooting through a piece of towel over the side of your head, and another towel on the other side to soak up the blood. Could do this in a bathtub too. Leaving a near you or outside the door for people to know what to expect is what Im doing. There are puppy pads too if you think you'd need those. Im trying to keep my head as clean as possible if my family ends up seeing me. Trying to keep my face in a smiley pose or at least neutral.

Reactions: sugarb
U

unusally alive

Jun 4, 2024
i dont know much about firearms, but less power means less mess, so anything of smaller caliber in the correct angle should do the trick

sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
I was going to say lie on a tarp with it wrapped over, or a sheet on top of you. Towel on your face and (assuming it's a handgun), shooting through a piece of towel over the side of your head, and another towel on the other side to soak up the blood. Could do this in a bathtub too. Leaving a near you or outside the door for people to know what to expect is what Im doing. There are puppy pads too if you think you'd need those. Im trying to keep my head as clean as possible if my family ends up seeing me. Trying to keep my face in a smiley pose or at least neutral.
Didn't think about shooting the side of the head; that might be more aesthetically pleasing as you said. Could also be used with the above.

I'm unsure of a bathtub. Assuming one lives with family/others and cares about such things:

1. Any material exiting the other side of the head might destroy porcelain, plumbing, tile, or other expensive things, costing survivors money.
2. The bathtub/bathroom will be made a disturbing, distressing place for survivors. Very inconvenient and traumatic, especially if they need to use the bathroom.

• Informative
Reactions: DeIetedUser4739
DefinitelyReady

DefinitelyReady

Why, do the birds, go on singing??
Mar 14, 2024
Didn't think about shooting the side of the head; that might be more aesthetically pleasing as you said. Could also be used with the above.

I'm unsure of a bathtub. Assuming one lives with family/others and cares about such things:

1. Any material exiting the other side of the head might destroy porcelain, plumbing, tile, or other expensive things, costing survivors money.
2. The bathtub/bathroom will be made a disturbing, distressing place for survivors. Very inconvenient and traumatic, especially if they need to use the bathroom.
Yeah I'm doing behind my ear in my hairline. Trying to keep my hair clean too. I've lost a family member in a hospital and had to look at them and it's traumatizing. I'm also definitely not doing it at home. Going to another city in an airbnb so they don't have to be left with the memory of me dying in the home or in the general area.

Infinite Solipsist

Infinite Solipsist

Jun 20, 2024
Other than the bathroom suggestion, there's some good ideas here. My plan is to trespass into a small forest (about 30 acres owned by several organizations instead of individuals) that's behind a fence where it will most likely take several days before I am found . I plan on removing the buttstock on my rifle so it is easier to put it behind my head. I know the 45 degree angle into the mouth sounds like a good idea but my reasoning is that I'm trying to destroy as much brain matter as possible instead of just the brainstem; leaving no chance of feeling anything. My plan is to use a balaclava and I will throw a tarp over my head. I've already confirmed that I can reach the trigger behind my back but I can't shake the feeling that this plan is missing something.

Attachments

• brainstemaim.png
    brainstemaim.png
    794.1 KB · Views: 0
  • tree.png
    tree.png
    66.6 KB · Views: 0
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
Other than the bathroom suggestion, there's some good ideas here. My plan is to trespass into a small forest (about 30 acres owned by several organizations instead of individuals) that's behind a fence where it will most likely take several days before I am found . I plan on removing the buttstock on my rifle so it is easier to put it behind my head. I know the 45 degree angle into the mouth sounds like a good idea but my reasoning is that I'm trying to destroy as much brain matter as possible instead of just the brainstem; leaving no chance of feeling anything. My plan is to use a balaclava and I will throw a tarp over my head. I've already confirmed that I can reach the trigger behind my back but I can't shake the feeling that this plan is missing something.
I tried both sitting down and standing up while holding a roughly footlong water bottle behind my head in the approximate position and it was unwieldly/uncomfortable. Additionally, there's the issue of gravity pulling you backwards.

I found it much easier after putting my back to an exercise bench and positioning myself so the edge of it is about six inches below the tops of my shoulders.

So, some kind of short, sturdy support (a log maybe) to lean against so you can maneuver the gun easier would probably be a good idea.

Attachments

• IMG_2694.jpeg
    IMG_2694.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 0
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
I think it would be very difficult to do it without creating a mess. A bullet or shotgun pellets would go straight through any soft coverings you put around your head, and I think much of your head would follow them.
I don't think a bath would make a lot of difference, because your head would basically explode, at least if you used a powerful weapon. (Using a less powerful one would be risky, because there would be more chance of surviving).
The mess could be substantial. A friend of a friend in my own country died by shotgun in his car. Nobody wanted to clean up the mess, it was that bad.

• Wow
Reactions: HereTomorrow
SeekingPeace164

SeekingPeace164

Mar 20, 2024
I think it would be very difficult to do it without creating a mess. A bullet or shotgun pellets would go straight through any soft coverings you put around your head, and I think much of your head would follow them.
I don't think a bath would make a lot of difference, because your head would basically explode, at least if you used a powerful weapon. (Using a less powerful one would be risky, because there would be more chance of surviving).
The mess could be substantial. A friend of a friend in my own country died by shotgun in his car. Nobody wanted to clean up the mess, it was that bad.
That's how I'm planning to do it… I still looking for some parking lot that would be very empty and far from houses at night so that even if the shot is heard it would take a while to find me to ensure I have enough time to die. I'm sorry to hear about. Do you know if your friend died instantly or quickly?

Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
That's how I'm planning to do it… I still looking for some parking lot that would be very empty and far from houses at night so that even if the shot is heard it would take a while to find me to ensure I have enough time to die. I'm sorry to hear about. Do you know if your friend died instantly or quickly?
It wasn't my friend, it was a friend of a friend. I never met him.
Death should be instantaneous, provide (1) you know where to aim; and (2) you use a powerful enough weapon and suitable ammo (hollow point bullet, buckshot, shotgun pellets - metal ones not the plastic ones sometimes used as birdshot).
If you don't know where to aim, then you should read up on it. This is one method you don't want to mess up, as you could be left very badly injured if you do.
Some people have used a handgun to ctb, but I have always been a bit uneasy about that. A rifle or shotgun seems a more foolproof choice.

SeekingPeace164

SeekingPeace164

Mar 20, 2024
It wasn't my friend, it was a friend of a friend. I never met him.
Death should be instantaneous, provide (1) you know where to aim; and (2) you use a powerful enough weapon and suitable ammo (hollow point bullet, buckshot, shotgun pellets - metal ones not the plastic ones sometimes used as birdshot).
If you don't know where to aim, then you should read up on it. This is one method you don't want to mess up, as you could be left very badly injured if you do.
Some people have used a handgun to ctb, but I have always been a bit uneasy about that. A rifle or shotgun seems a more foolproof choice.
Yes, I definitely read through the megathread and even went to a range to learn how to use it properly. I have a shotgun in set to buy and even used a measuring tape in my car to make sure I can get a good angle with it while sitting. I am thinking of a hollow point slug since it has a lot more velocity than buckshot but still expands. I've seen medical pictures of the aftermath, I can't see failing

Infinite Solipsist

Infinite Solipsist

Jun 20, 2024
A bullet or shotgun pellets would go straight through any soft coverings you put around your head, and I think much of your head would follow them.
Yeah that's what I'm concerned about. I'm not worried about collateral damage from stray bullets because there are no nearby houses/structures and the trees should function as a bullet stop. I'm more concerned about exposing normal people to gore but the explosive nature of guns makes this unpredictable.

Infinite Solipsist

Infinite Solipsist

Jun 20, 2024
Yes, I definitely read through the megathread and even went to a range to learn how to use it properly. I have a shotgun in set to buy and even used a measuring tape in my car to make sure I can get a good angle with it while sitting. I am thinking of a hollow point slug since it has a lot more velocity than buckshot but still expands. I've seen medical pictures of the aftermath, I can't see failing
If I was to use a shotgun, I would take the effort of making my own shell. I'd go with something ridiculous like a heavily overloaded slug in a 5inch shell loaded into a break action shotgun. I'd want just enough powder to barely avoid having the gun blow up in my hands. The explosive gasses alone would be enough to blow your head into red soup; not even considering the giant 2 ounce slug. Don't bother with hollow points because they are going to over-penetrate just the same. Whatever you do, don't put it under your chin because that is likely to just blow your face off if you don't get the correct angle. I think the rear midline of the skull is more foolproof. Possibly consider a magnetic torpedo level that you can stick to the barrel of your gun and use a hand mirror to be able to see the bubble on the level. I think you need a 45 degree angle through the mouth. I don't know I'm just spitballing here on this one.

Last edited:
Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
Purchase a roll of plastic sheeting and duck tape. Make a floor, ceiling and walls to contain whatever needs to be contained.
Imperfect but easier to clean up.
Good luck!

SeekingPeace164

SeekingPeace164

Mar 20, 2024
If I was to use a shotgun, I would take the effort of making my own shell. I'd go with something ridiculous like a heavily overloaded slug in a 5inch shell loaded into a break action shotgun. I'd want just enough powder to barely avoid having the gun blow up in my hands. The explosive gasses alone would be enough to blow your head into red soup; not even considering the giant 2 ounce slug. Don't bother with hollow points because they are going to over-penetrate just the same. Whatever you do, don't put it under your chin because that is likely to just blow your face off if you don't get the correct angle. I think the rear midline of the skull is more foolproof. Possibly consider a magnetic torpedo level that you can stick to the barrel of your gun and use a hand mirror to be able to see the bubble on the level. I think you need a 45 degree angle through the mouth. I don't know I'm just spitballing here on this one.
I do not have the energy of creating my own shells. I also think it's risky (the gun might explode or not shoot it people). But I don't know I'm not an expert. Also can't do an angle other than the mouth because it'll be in my car (and also that sounds incredibly tricky to get right). I was thinking of getting a .30-06 rifle instead but I'm more familiar with shotguns (never shot a rifle). I don't really know if having your head completely blown off is the only way to guaranteed death, the shotgun does quite a lot of damage even though it doesn't cause the head to blow off (I've looked at medical pictures). But if you're gonna be able to pull that off I will be very impressed. Plus I'm planning on doing it at night in an isolated parking lot as possible so worst case it's not instant I'll die for sure. But I don't know, what do you think? Should I upgrade to rifle?

Infinite Solipsist

Infinite Solipsist

Jun 20, 2024
Plus I'm planning on doing it at night in an isolated parking lot as possible so worst case it's not instant I'll die for sure. But I don't know, what do you think? Should I upgrade to rifle?
Unless you are still making payments on your car or your car isn't valuable (under $2,000), then I would advise against doing it in your car. As far as shotgun vs rifle, I would get the most powerful rifle I could afford. Think 50BMG or one of the old-timey elephant gun calibers. I would only choose a shotgun because the cheapest shotguns are far less expensive than the cheapest high power rifles (greater than .308 Winchester). I believe this decision isn't worth cheaping out on. I'll be using a .308 diameter bullet (there's several different .308 calibers) whose projectile I've jammed DEEP into the casing. Probably won't blow up the gun but it should deliver significantly higher pressure.

SeekingPeace164

SeekingPeace164

Mar 20, 2024
Unless you are still making payments on your car or your car isn't valuable (under $2,000), then I would advise against doing it in your car. As far as shotgun vs rifle, I would get the most powerful rifle I could afford. Think 50BMG or one of the old-timey elephant gun calibers. I would only choose a shotgun because the cheapest shotguns are far less expensive than the cheapest high power rifles (greater than .308 Winchester). I believe this decision isn't worth cheaping out on. I'll be using a .308 diameter bullet (there's several different .308 calibers) whose projectile I've jammed DEEP into the casing. Probably won't blow up the gun but it should deliver significantly higher pressure.
I rent a room in someone's house so I don't really have much of a choice on where to do it. And why does the car value matter? I'll be dead. I mean people die all the time with handguns, but I understand the need to go above and beyond… might look into a .30-06 but would need to learn how to use it, never shot a rifle only shotgun. Rifles look more complicated (I have cognitive issues) but bolt actions shouldn't be too bad

Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
You're right. It's not likely to fail.

Infinite Solipsist

Infinite Solipsist

Jun 20, 2024
I rent a room in someone's house so I don't really have much of a choice on where to do it. And why does the car value matter?
The value doesn't really matter. Just trying to consider what we leave behind for others even if they aren't family. Firearm CTB in a car will make the car a total-loss biohazard vehicle. Insurance companies will not pay anything out to anyone either. If none of these concern you, then more power to you.