whatacatastrophe

whatacatastrophe

just shoot me already
Sep 8, 2020
So long story short about why I bothered with the hotline: nasty fight with my family, they're threatening to kick me out again (yes, again), they know full well I can't live on my own right now for many reasons, and my friends were no help. I chose the texting route as I struggle with phone calls due to both spotty cellular service in my area, and a nosy family.

I wait over an hour after filling out the form. They text me back telling me to call the number, and thinking it was a form reply, I snarkily replied about how phone calls don't work. Turns out there was a human there. Oops. Sorry, whoever that was.

Anywho, total of 90 minutes of waiting later, the person finally texts me back. It's going well... for five messages. Then they don't respond. I assume it's mt spotty service, and leave without my phone to go to the bathroom. I'm gone 3 or so minutes and... they ended the conversation, claiming they hadn't heard from me in a while.

Sorry for the petty post. It just really frusturated me and is part of the reason I absolutely hate Suicide Hotlines.

• Hugs
Reactions: AmDead, disabledandhopeless, Deleted member 17331 and 7 others
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
Sorry you had this experience. I've used hotlines before and usually had good experiences with them, but I always called. Had you used them before this incident? Also sorry to hear about your family situation, I hope they don't kick you out.

Reactions: whatacatastrophe
whatacatastrophe

whatacatastrophe

just shoot me already
Sep 8, 2020
Sorry you had this experience. I've used hotlines before and usually had good experiences with them, but I always called. Had you used them before this incident? Also sorry to hear about your family situation, I hope they don't kick you out.

Hello. Yes I have. I have had maybe one good experience with them in the past (I called as well as I was living elsewhere at the time). Maybe it's my area unfortunately; the mental health system here is garbage to begin with.

Kicking me out has been an empty threat they've used the past 2 years I've lived here, but it's terrifying and draining every time. My employment situation isn't the best because of COVID, and likewise I'm in the high risk group. It's exhausting and scary. I hate it.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Deleted member 17331, Tired_Tired and GoodPersonEffed
T

TimeToBiteTheDust

Visionary
Nov 7, 2019
I'm so sorry the hotline hasn't worked for you. I was about to call once when I was in crisis but didn't. :hug:

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 17331 and whatacatastrophe
whatacatastrophe

whatacatastrophe

just shoot me already
Sep 8, 2020
I'm so sorry the hotline hasn't worked for you. I was about to call once when I was in crisis but didn't. :hug:

Hotlines - in my opinion - should be the last thing you do before throwing in the towel and going to the ER (or actually CTBing). Literally do ANYTHING else before calling a hotline because chances are they won't help much. Most they do is act like a bandaid

Reactions: DamnYourEyes and Meditation guide
T

TimeToBiteTheDust

Visionary
Nov 7, 2019
Hotlines - in my opinion - should be the last thing you do before throwing in the towel and going to the ER (or actually CTBing). Literally do ANYTHING else before calling a hotline because chances are they won't help much. Most they do is act like a bandaid
Honestly that was the only time I considered calling. I don't know why it's like I was desperate to die. Shaking. But then I calmed down.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 17331
whatacatastrophe

whatacatastrophe

just shoot me already
Sep 8, 2020
Honestly that was the only time I considered calling. I don't know why it's like I was desperate to die. Shaking. But then I calmed down.

That's my situation today. I'm fine for now but I don't know how much longer I can take it

• Hugs
Reactions: GrumpyFrog, Deleted member 17331 and TimeToBiteTheDust
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
The lines are useless talk to us instead ❤️

Reactions: DamnYourEyes, disabledandhopeless and Sarahlynn
valentine

valentine

Student
Apr 2, 2019
I hate the hotlines too. The text line especially is useless, I had the same experience where they just ended it out of nowhere. Plus I'm always worried they'll call the cops on me and force me into a hospital.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Deleted member 17331
Cherrypea

Cherrypea

I remember when all this will be again
May 3, 2020
I called a womans aid helpline once, in my past relationship I was physically abused. It was so useless it was a joke and I resolved never to bother with anything of that sort again.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 17331
anonbpdgirl

anonbpdgirl

Student
Aug 31, 2019
In my experience, hotlines are seriously fucking awful. They just ask you to talk and talk and talk. Talking won't stop me from hurting. Talking won't change my situation. Talking won't alter the circumstances I've found myself in.

They don't even know what to say to you. In the rare cases they try to give some practical help, it's always obvious shit. Obviously I've been to the fucking GP. Of course I'm on medication. What the fuck do they take you for?
I hate the hotlines too. The text line especially is useless, I had the same experience where they just ended it out of nowhere. Plus I'm always worried they'll call the cops on me and force me into a hospital.
I was 15 when I called my first hotline and they did exactly that. Next day, I got police-uniform clad social workers banging down the door. They told my mother everything. She told me she was disappointed in me and that I ruined her day. I started to keep secrets.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: DamnYourEyes, AmDead, valentine and 1 other person
Deleted member 17331

Deleted member 17331

The swan sang with a broken neck
Apr 21, 2020
An hour in line? This can only be Brazil's thing...

The direct lines are the worst, I also had bad experiences. I was having a panic attack one day and, I waited an hour in line on the phone call, when I was answered the attendant simply hung up on me without explanation.

I don't know, but do they think that anyone who wants to commit suicide will wait more than an hour in line and still be treated like trash? Because as far as I know, suicide doesn't wait.

And now we are close to the world suicide prevention day, where everyone loves everyone, but the next day they spit in our face. How many people saw hotline posters or some stupid influencer told them to call this shit.

Because the day I called I really needed help, and I thought "if there is no help in the suicide prevention hotline, it doesn't exist anywhere else". Result, overdose of drugs.

It's really cute to make yellow bows, post motivational phrases, pretend you care, pretend you can see... It's even more beautiful when September ends and they just say "You're going to burn in hell for that".

• Hugs
Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, Deleted member 4993 and Skathon
Dead girl walking

Dead girl walking

It was never good.
May 26, 2020
So long story short about why I bothered with the hotline: nasty fight with my family, they're threatening to kick me out again (yes, again), they know full well I can't live on my own right now for many reasons, and my friends were no help. I chose the texting route as I struggle with phone calls due to both spotty cellular service in my area, and a nosy family.

I wait over an hour after filling out the form. They text me back telling me to call the number, and thinking it was a form reply, I snarkily replied about how phone calls don't work. Turns out there was a human there. Oops. Sorry, whoever that was.

Anywho, total of 90 minutes of waiting later, the person finally texts me back. It's going well... for five messages. Then they don't respond. I assume it's mt spotty service, and leave without my phone to go to the bathroom. I'm gone 3 or so minutes and... they ended the conversation, claiming they hadn't heard from me in a while.

Sorry for the petty post. It just really frusturated me and is part of the reason I absolutely hate Suicide Hotlines.
Oh I agree 100%.im a professional working in the area of mental health and from a personal perspective and and looking at it as a sign poster they never work. The service is scatty. You dnt get the same person twice. They NEVER asked me directly was I feeling suicidal as I can only guess it would create work. I won't be using any again.

Reactions: AmDead
valentine

valentine

Student
Apr 2, 2019
I was 15 when I called my first hotline and they did exactly that. Next day, I got police-uniform clad social workers banging down the door. They told my mother everything. She told me she was disappointed in me and that I ruined her day. I started to keep secrets.

same thing happened to me about a year ago. They called the cops and then lied about it :/ I was handcuffed and put in a cop car. The US is great at dealing with mental illness.

Reactions: DamnYourEyes
Sinkinshyp

Sinkinshyp

Paragon
Sep 7, 2020
I called the hotline probably 2 years ago or so. They said we will call you back tomorrow haha and yes they did call back the next day but that was it. They didn't really talk to me. They just wanted to know was I at risk at that moment I said no but I'm planning it.