B

bukowski

Nov 3, 2019
What is your favourite hot sauce? How hot is it?

Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
Basically any style of "Buffalo" sauce. I like the spiciness mixed with the tangy taste.

Reactions: Fragile and bukowski
PrettyMoose

PrettyMoose

Eat my arse, Pain&Sh*tness & Mindf*ckitation Grift
Mar 1, 2020
I'm not a huge fan, but when I go for it I usually pick Tabasco original flavor. Sometimes I'll put Sriracha sauce on sandwiches along with some salt & pepper.

Reactions: FusRohDracarys and bukowski
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I love anything hot or spicy! I enjoy ghost peppers as a snack sometimes. It's pretty annoying when the label clearly says hot but it's spicy at best.

Reactions: Fragile and bukowski
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I live in Mexico, grocery store hot sauces usually suck like anywhere else unless they're made with seeds from arbol chiles. Restaurant and street vendor salsas are the best. Waitstaff are usually surprised I'm an American who likes salsa as hot as the Mexicans do. I also make my own salsa with serranos or arboles and leave in the seeds (hint: boil and simmer with ripe tomatoes until it turns red, tastes like restaurant salsa -- add a little cumin, lime, and salt, along with white and green onions, garlic, and vegetable oil, throw it all in the blender, then cook).

I like to dip raw serranos or jalapeños in hummus.

Another good hot sauce is Caribbean jerk sauce or paste, the hotter the better.

Agree that Sriracha is good, either douse with it or add some serranos to the dish to turn up the heat.

Also, it's not a sauce, but eating raw ginger is as satisfying as eating chili peppers.

Reactions: bukowski
B

bukowski

Nov 3, 2019
I love anything hot or spicy! I enjoy ghost peppers as a snack sometimes. It's pretty annoying when the label clearly says hot but it's spicy at best.

+1 to ghost peppers. The hotter the better.
I live in Mexico, grocery store hot sauces usually suck like anywhere else unless they're made with seeds from arbol chiles. Restaurant and street vendor salsas are the best. Waitstaff are usually surprised I'm an American who likes salsa as hot as the Mexicans do. I also make my own salsa with serranos or arboles and leave in the seeds (hint: boil and simmer with ripe tomatoes until it turns red, tastes like restaurant salsa -- add a little cumin, lime, and salt, along with white and green onions, garlic, and vegetable oil, throw it all in the blender, then cook).

I like to dip raw serranos or jalapeños in hummus.

Another good hot sauce is Caribbean jerk sauce or paste, the hotter the better.

Agree that Sriracha is good, either douse with it or add some serranos to the dish to turn up the heat.

Also, it's not a sauce, but eating raw ginger is as satisfying as eating chili peppers.

Sounds delicious. Now I'm craving authentic Mexican salsa. I'm going to have to try your recipe. So all the ingredients go in the blender then boil and simmer?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Brick In The Wall
F

faraway_beach

Seawater and stardust
Dec 30, 2019
San-J Szechuan. Moderately hot. I've seen hot sauces that seem to be in a chemical warfare arms race, but I know myself, that's not for me.

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
Sounds delicious. Now I'm craving authentic Mexican salsa. I'm going to have to try your recipe. So all the ingredients go in the blender then boil and simmer?

I FORGOT THE CILANTRO! Glad you asked.

Chop 4 very ripe Roma tomatoes
1 C. cilantro (leaves and stems)
1-2 cloves garlic
1/2 onion
Tails of several green onions, chopped
4 arbol chiles or 2 serranos (with seeds for more heat)
1 tsp salt
1 TBSP vegetable oil
Fresh lime juice to taste (two small ones like agrios should be enough, or half of a large one, agrios are more sour and have a better flavor for Mexican dishes, key limes would also work)
Cumin to taste (if preferred)

Blend (I usually throw in the green onions in the pot, not the blender)

Bring to boil (some people heat the oil in the pot first rather than blending, then add the mix, I think it's good either way)

Simmer for about 10 minutes or until red (less ripe tomatoes will not turn red)

Last edited:
Reactions: FusRohDracarys, Deleted member 1465 and bukowski
B

bukowski

Nov 3, 2019
Cheers. Thank you. Definitely going to make.

Is the green onion a scallion or bell pepper?

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
Cheers. Thank you. Definitely going to make.

Is the green onion a scallion or bell pepper?

It's like a scallion but bigger. Scallions would work too, use a whole bunch.

Reactions: bukowski
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I FORGOT THE CILANTRO! Glad you asked.

Chop 4 very ripe Roma tomatoes
1 C. cilantro (leaves and stems)
1-2 cloves garlic
1/2 onion
Tails of several green onions, chopped
4 arbol chiles or 2 serranos (with seeds for more heat)
1 tsp salt
1 TBSP vegetable oil
Cumin to taste (if preferred)

Blend (I usually throw in the green onions in the pot, not the blender)

Bring to boil (some people heat the oil in the pot first rather than blending, then add the mix, I think it's good either way)

Simmer for about 10 minutes or until red (less ripe tomatoes will not turn red)
That sounds amazing. Id really like a way to make a fresh green chunky salsa without having to blend. Is that a thing?

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
That sounds amazing. Id really like a way to make a fresh green chunky salsa without having to blend. Is that a thing?

You could do that. Use tomatillos and chop the tomatoes, maybe crush them a bit with a fork. Boiling/simmering will also soften them. You can make it without cooking, but heat brings out the flavor, otherwise it's pico de gallo and not salsa.

Please note I edited my previous comment to add limes. I often forget them and kick myself.

Reactions: Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
You could do that. Use tomatillos and chop the tomatoes, maybe crush them a bit with a fork. Boiling/simmering will also soften them. You can make it without cooking, but heat brings out the flavor, otherwise it's pico de gallo and not salsa.

Please note I edited my previous comment to add limes. I often forget them and kick myself.
Thank you. I'll still simmer to release flavour. I recall once I had great salsa, was green and fresh and zingy. I hate the red tomato based ambiguous crap you get off the shelf. I want something more like a spicy side dish full of veg than like something you dip yer Doritos in.

Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
faust

faust

lost among the stars
Jan 26, 2020
I like spicy food however the hottest sauce I found there was Tabasco Habanero which is not hot for me at all.
Rumors say sauces based on Ghost pepper and Carolina Reaper are good but they are too expensive to eat on a regular basis.

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
I also make a great Caribbean-style pico de gallo that I serve over jerk chicken and wild rice. I don't have a recipe, I made it up after eating a similar dish at restaurant, I just throw things together until it seems like enough.

Chopped mango
Chopped red pepper (capsicum)
Chopped red onion
Chopped green onion tails
Can of green chiles and/or chopped jalapeños
Chopped Roma tomatoes if desired
Chopped cilantro
Lime juice if desired
Diced garlic if desired

Let sit in the fridge for a couple hours before serving

Reactions: FusRohDracarys and Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I also make a great Caribbean-style pico de gallo that I serve over jerk chicken and wild rice. I don't have a recipe, I made it up after eating a similar dish at restaurant, I just throw things together until it seems like enough.

Chopped mango
Chopped red pepper (capsicum)
Chopped red onion
Chopped green onion tails
Can of green chiles and/or chopped jalapeños
Chopped Roma tomatoes if desired
Chopped cilantro
Lime juice if desired
Diced garlic if desired

Let sit in the fridge for a couple hours before serving
That is what I'm after. Mango! Thank you! I shall give that a try. :)) I've always loved Mexican food. It's the only cuisine I'm comfrtable ad libbing.

• Hugs
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed