• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

usernameNotFound

usernameNotFound

Feb 2, 2019
Bought this balloon helium tank from Walmart with the intent of CTB using the exit bag method (you put a bag over your head, fill the bag with helium, you start to breathe in helium instead of oxygen, should die within 10-40 mins). The tank cost $50 CAD. The company claims it's 100% helium.
From what I've read online people are saying that all helium tanks bought from normal stores are actually a mixture of air/helium. So I have a couple questions:
1. If the tank says its 100% helium, do you think there's any reason to distrust it?
2. If a person tries to use the exit bag method with an air/helium mixture, will it cause unintended long-term health effects?

Wondering if I should return the tank or if it's worth keeping. Thanks!

Reactions: MonsieurIsDead and ansiedad
Quax

Quax

Student
Nov 16, 2019
These balloon gas tanks are usually a mixture of 20% O2 and 80%He. So it won't kill you and there will no further damages to your health... so it is pretty much useless for CTB.....

Reactions: LenkaX, ansiedad, Matthias_k and 2 others
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
Bought this balloon helium tank from Walmart with the intent of CTB using the exit bag method (you put a bag over your head, fill the bag with helium, you start to breathe in helium instead of oxygen, should die within 10-40 mins). The tank cost $50 CAD. The company claims it's 100% helium.
From what I've read online people are saying that all helium tanks bought from normal stores are actually a mixture of air/helium. So I have a couple questions:
1. If the tank says its 100% helium, do you think there's any reason to distrust it?
2. If a person tries to use the exit bag method with an air/helium mixture, will it cause unintended long-term health effects?

1. Yes, I have used the real helium tanks rented from party supply companies. They are around 2000psi, would cost hundreds to buy between the tank and regulator.
2. Yes, you are depriving your brain of oxygen. That will cause permanent damage.

This is not an endorsement for you to ctb, but if that's your choice, you may want to look into a welding supply store, and a tank of nitrogen or argon.

Reactions: usernameNotFound
yetme

yetme

Arcanist
Oct 20, 2019

There was a thread about testing diving mask setup, but I think you can test it with a baloon or a plastic bag.
Feel up the baloon with helium, close the tank, sit on a bed or something you'll not gonna fall from. Breath out air from your lungs completely, then start breathing helium from the baloon. If you loose consciousness, then the helium in the tank is pure enough. As soon as you loose consciousness your hand holding the baloon will drop and you will regain consciousness in a minute.

Reactions: usernameNotFound
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
There was a thread about testing diving mask setup, but I think you can test it with a baloon or a plastic bag.
Feel up the baloon with helium, close the tank, sit on a bed or something you'll not gonna fall from. Breath out air from your lungs completely, then start breathing helium from the baloon. If you loose consciousness, then the helium in the tank is pure enough. As soon as you loose consciousness your hand holding the baloon will drop and you will regain consciousness in a minute.
I have done this. Never even got lightheaded after nearly depleting the entire balloon.

H

heliumornitrogen

Oct 22, 2020
I´m unclear whether there will be long term negative health effects, although I don´t think this is the case, but the mixed helium cylinder will not work.

I had the same dilemma and have decided to go with nitrogen. This method also requires a regulator.

Just be really careful and make sure you do your research.

L

Lil

Nov 6, 2020
I tried this method a few years ago. I lost consciousness within a second, but then I tore the bag without being aware of it and survived. I may have made another mistake, but I think you should still be aware of the possibility of tearing the bag while you are unconscious.

M

Matthias_k

Apr 18, 2020

No, it's not 100% helium, that's just playing with words. Their helium is rated 99% pure, but in reality the tank is 20% O2 and 80% HE

Screen Shot 11 26 20 at 0752 PM   Copy

Reactions: ansiedad
Greenberg

Greenberg

nitrogenexit.blogspot.com
Jun 28, 2020

It is true there is 100% pure Helium within the tank, but what it does not say is what matters. All retail helium includes 20% oxygen so that people will not be able to CBT with the purchased gas.

Unless you are planning to blow up a lot balloons for an upcoming party, you may wish to consider returning your purchase.

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: Rabitfever, Mare Imbrium and heliumornitrogen
N

Nyxtus

Nov 14, 2020
Listen to Greenbergs advice (and notice that little website under his name). He has fantastic resources available that will tell you everything you need to know.

Also search for diving, mask, etc in the searchbar. There's a fantastic thread with a lot of information there as well.

Nitrogen is the answer not helium.

Reactions: Quax
Quax

Quax

Student
Nov 16, 2019
for the exit bag it's much better to use Nitrogen.... easier to get, pure and as efficient as pure Helium.... but you will need a regulator...

DonTellMeToStayAlive

DonTellMeToStayAlive

Student
Jan 18, 2019
for the exit bag it's much better to use Nitrogen.... easier to get, pure and as efficient as pure Helium.... but you will need a regulator...
where could we get 100% nitrogen, without any air in it ? Or is there a way to manufacture it at home

Into The Void

Into The Void

Student
Mar 10, 2021

Personally I wouldn't trust it. I read a long time ago that balloon time started diluting their tanks. I actually brought some balloon time helium tanks years ago before they started diluting them. Never used them to CTB, but eventually got rid of them because they were taking up too much space. That and I got other methods that didn't take up as much space. But before I got rid of them, I pushed the limits and did a test run. I got a bit disoriented, kind of drunk feeling and quit before passing out. I did get curious recently and called a local air gas supply store and they said they would sell a 40 cu tank for 341 I think it was. They asked what I was using it for and I said a big party. LOL

Reactions: Mare Imbrium
Mare Imbrium

Mare Imbrium

Killing yourself to live.
Dec 10, 2020
You cannot trust the specification "100 % Helium" of a balloon tank. When you use it, it is possible to survive with brain damage. Such a case was already here in the forum.
Helium from balloon tanks is often so weak, that there are many complaints from customers, that balloons do not fly properly.

Last edited:
NormaJeane

NormaJeane

Mar 24, 2021

It is better to use nitrogen gas and an Exit bag. You can test the nitrogen gas with a CY-12C oxygen analysator, so there is no air in it.

Reactions: Rabitfever and Greenberg
lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
You cannot trust the specification "100 % Helium" of a balloon tank. When you use it, it is possible to survive with brain damage. Such a case was already here in the forum.
What?

lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
It was user Lion84
Was he/she using helium as an attempt to ctb before they died of sn (found their goodbye thread)?

edit:nvm I found their posts about it.

Last edited: