Marco77

Marco77

À ma manière 🪦
Aug 18, 2024
A story that makes us reflect on the need to decriminalize the crime of "Assisting suicide", which is increasingly decriminalized in Italy.

The story of a man who cut his wife's throat for love.

The sad path of the 87-year-old who killed his life partner and now fights against evil. "He had Alzheimer's: who would have taken care of him?". The director of the facility: "Tragedies of abandonment"

Florence, 25 July 2022 - "I feel guilty for what I did. But I also wanted to die together with her". These are the first words he said to the healthcare workers who welcomed him to the Hospice in Via delle Oblate, the care and palliative treatment facility for terminally ill patients. Words he repeats continuously, without finding peace. When it comes to desperation. But also loneliness, illness and love. Yes, he killed his wife. With a particularly bloody gesture, cutting her throat. It happened two weeks ago. He had tried, with every intention of succeeding, to repeat that macabre feat on himself. But he didn't make it. Yet listening to what in legal terms is called a murderer, the first word that comes to mind is love. Despite it all. A gesture of love and death. With the knife: the only weapon available. The eighty-seven year old who, after dedicating the last very tiring years of his life to caring for his wife, discovered that his tumor had started to move again. That the illness would soon take him away without knowing who to entrust with his companion for a long journey full of stumbles and scattered happiness. That beloved woman now deprived of her memory and much more by that demon Alzheimer's disease. If she didn't recognize him, he knew full well who she was. That was enough. Until he decided it was no longer possible to go on. That had to end there.

• Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: BlackEyedDog, SVEN, Forever Sleep and 4 others
Adûnâi

Adûnâi

Little Russian in-cel
Apr 25, 2020
Love and Alzheimer? wtf The libs are gonna blame the patriarchy, but all I'm seeing here is just confused Italian boomers.

R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
I don't know man....a spouse slit my throat in the name of love and claims to have done it because what? didn't know who would take care of me? I'm pretty sure my ghost would be furious. I'm not sure if this makes the people in charge think of improving assisted suicide...more like murder and deranged...

Reactions: suffering_mo and EvisceratedJester
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
It does sound suspicious. He clearly wasn't fussed about breaking the law. Couldn't he have found a more reliable and peaceful method they both could have used to go together?

Put it this way- would you assist a loved one? I possibly would. But, I'd do my best to get them the most peaceful method I could. Then, I'd follow them. There's no way I think I'd ever slit someone's throat! That's brutal.

BlackEyedDog

BlackEyedDog

Mage
May 6, 2024
It is gruesome and the circumstances are tragic. They were together for 70 years and had three children. But if his wife didn't ask for an assisted death, then his act of love is also an act of murder.

Murder-suicides are not uncommon in elderly couples. Suicide pacts are rare but of those one major subset is older married couples.

Myself I think if I lived long enough to end up with Alzheimer's/dementia I would rather someone put me down. Unless you are wealthy you end up in some govt/state facility that will of course be underfunded and miserable af. Robin William's would have had the best care but he still preemptively took his own life.

Reactions: suffering_mo
L

LostSoul1965

Arcanist
Apr 15, 2024
That's not love. That's twisted. I wanna die but no one is slitting my throat. Brutal.

Reactions: suffering_mo and rozeske