daisyrandone

daisyrandone

too many names
Sep 12, 2023
i can't talk about this with friends or anyone i've met online for fear of being judged or made fun of.

i hate my face and body so much. i don't know what i did to deserve having grown into this. i was called cute often as a kid but i think my mental health and primarily depression have ruined any chance i had at looking decent as i grew older. realistically, i'd consider myself below average, even outside of social media standards/if nobody wore makeup. i don't think my face is anywhere near what i'd like it to be. my body is a bit overweight because of weight i've gained since falling into depression.

i feel worthless for being ugly. nobody will love me, because i am ugly. i shouldn't make my face seen. before i ctb, i'll cut up my face until it can at least be described as unrecognizable. i don't want a single photo of me to exist anywhere. and the thing is, nobody will sympathize with me, because of my face. i am not valued by anyone and it is because i am not attractive. i hate myself. i stay up on the regular thinking about all i've ever thought and every time, at some point during the night, i try my best not to cry wondering what i did to deserve a face as unlovable as mine. did i do something wrong? i just don't get it. what people think of me will always have a huge difference than what they would think of me if i were beautiful. all my annoying traits, all my mistakes, any bad action i've done would have been considered endearing, but because i'm not attractive, i'm just a bother. i don't want to live in a world like this. i don't want to live at all. it isn't fair.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov, landslide2, Ondine0000ff and 4 others
Kish

Kish

ಮಾನಸಿಕ ಅಸ್ವಸ್ಥ
Mar 2, 2024
I feel the same way about my looks. But do you think beauty is even a real thing? We're all just people with our own unique appearances, skin tones, body shapes, and genders. In the end, it really doesn't matter if you are beautiful or ugly

Natanael

Natanael

Oct 13, 2024
The concern about the physical aspect is something common, now if you ask me, in your case it depends a lot on how you want to look, because this can be more difficult or easier depending on what you prefer.

But yes, in general, most attractive people look attractive because they groom themselves and take care of themselves, in fact this is what really makes a person physically attractive.

I have seen ''ugly'' people start to look really good by finding styles and grooming that they really like and attractive people end up looking like a mess because they let themselves careless

Maybe your problem can be solved

On the other hand, personality really makes a difference, of course being attractive helps a lot, but beauty is ephemeral.
And we all end up old and ugly sooner or later (usually sooner), but a great personality lasts through all stages of life, beliveme.

Reactions: LifeQuitter and Golemishna
libitina

libitina

efilist
May 30, 2023
i can't talk about this with friends or anyone i've met online for fear of being judged or made fun of.

i hate my face and body so much. i don't know what i did to deserve having grown into this. i was called cute often as a kid but i think my mental health and primarily depression have ruined any chance i had at looking decent as i grew older. realistically, i'd consider myself below average, even outside of social media standards/if nobody wore makeup. i don't think my face is anywhere near what i'd like it to be. my body is a bit overweight because of weight i've gained since falling into depression.

i feel worthless for being ugly. nobody will love me, because i am ugly. i shouldn't make my face seen. before i ctb, i'll cut up my face until it can at least be described as unrecognizable. i don't want a single photo of me to exist anywhere. and the thing is, nobody will sympathize with me, because of my face. i am not valued by anyone and it is because i am not attractive. i hate myself. i stay up on the regular thinking about all i've ever thought and every time, at some point during the night, i try my best not to cry wondering what i did to deserve a face as unlovable as mine. did i do something wrong? i just don't get it. what people think of me will always have a huge difference than what they would think of me if i were beautiful. all my annoying traits, all my mistakes, any bad action i've done would have been considered endearing, but because i'm not attractive, i'm just a bother. i don't want to live in a world like this. i don't want to live at all. it isn't fair.
same. i'm literally the ugliest "person" i've ever seen. if i were beautiful, i wouldn't even wanna ctb.

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
But yes, in general, most attractive people look attractive because they groom themselves and take care of themselves, in fact this is what really makes a person physically attractive.

I have seen ''ugly'' people start to look really good by finding styles and grooming that they really like and attractive people end up looking like a mess because they let themselves careless

Maybe your problem can be solved
While attractive people do sometimes groom and take care of themselves, many of them are also just genetically blessed and socially. These are people who, even when they were young and would have still been learning how to best groom and care for themselves, were already fairly good-looking. Saying you just need to groom and take care of yourself is both invalidating and simplifying something that depends on a multitude of factors. There are people who don't meet conventional beauty standards who groom themselves and try to take good care of themselves and are still considered unattractive by societal beauty standards.

Also, the ability to groom and take good care of one's self is a privilege that not everyone is afforded. From mental health struggles to poverty, a lot of people are not in a position to do those things. You have to remember that beauty standards are based on status. They change alongside signals of wealth and power. For example, in the West, in the past, the beauty ideal was to have pale skin since that was a sign of being wealthy enough to not have to work outside in the sun. Then, that changed to being tanned when being wealthy was associated with being able to travel the world and vacation in exotic tropical countries. Being skinny was in until Kim Kardashian came along and got a BBL and then being "slim thicc" was seen as the ideal body type. Then it changed back to being skinny again after Ozempic started taking over Hollywood and after Kim Kardashian got her BBL removed, now revealing her new and much slimmer figure. Along with that, a lot of aspects of the new beauty standards require some sort of cosmetic procedure in order for you to keep up with them. These standards change a lot and are becoming increasingly impossible to reach without the help of a plastic surgeon. This, again, ties into how wealth relates to all of this.

These standards also extend to race. The same features that people of colour get bullied and shamed for are appropriated by wealthy white individuals, turning their features into trends to parade around. Remember a few years back when the trend was to look half black and half white? Or how having East Asian facial features was and still is despite those same features being mocked years ago? The cultures and stereotypical physical attributes that can be found amongst BIPOC are treated as trends and the worst part is that we still get shamed for our appearance. If we don't get shamed then we get fetishized. You don't get to be seen as a beautiful individual unless you are a white person with those traits. Once the trend is over, everyone goes back to shitting on those features.

Even within communities of colour, the beauty standards are based on your closeness to whiteness. For example, I am part white (not half white, but I do look biracial). I happen to look closer to the idealized image that people have in their heads when they think about having a biracial child who is half black half white. As a result, I have gotten the privilege of not going through the same discrimination that a lot of brown skin and dark-skinned black girls go through. When other black people see my hair, they love it. Not because it's anything special, just because I have a looser curl pattern. Having a looser curl pattern is seen as the ideal within the black community as it signals that you must be part white or are at least closer to whiteness in appearance. Kinky hair, especially 4c hair, is shamed in the community and is seen as ugly. Same thing with a lot of features associated with blackness, such as having a wider and flatter nose. A lot of dark-skinned black women in particular have talked about the discrimination they went through being shamed and bullied for their appearance, not just by white people but also by black boys and men, while people like me get to be put on a pedestal. Hence why there is so much representation of people who like me in black media in comparison to women who are dark-skinned. Think of the women you see in most music videos by black artists. The women who black men get within most movies made by black people. I'm not attractive, but I've always been seen as more attractive than most dark-skinned black women, even those who are arguably better looking than me, just because my appearance is one associated with those who are closer to whiteness.

This is also reflected in how white people view their biracial children, too. There are some people (usually white women, though not all of them of course) who have a fetish for mixed-race children. It's pretty disgusting, especially since a lot of them talk about their kids the same way one talks about their dog. They obsess over what they are mixed with and it isn't uncommon for some of them to mistreat their kids once they grow out of that "cute phase". However, they tend to dislike their mixed-race kids if they don't meet the ideal aesthetics associated with it (such as having tanned skin, loose curls, light-coloured eyes and hair, full lips, etc in the case of biracial kids who are part black). They want a child who looks "exotic" or, at the bare minimum, looks like they are part white. If they don't come out that way then they are kind of screwed. For example, when I was a child I was on the bus with my mom and her friends. My mom's friends pointed to some white lady who was staring at me a lot and they watched as she called up her kids, one by one, and compared their features with mine (they all had stronger black features). When she noticed that they were staring at her she looked away in shame. Even the way how your parents view and treat you can sometimes hinge on your association with whiteness, since "looking too black" is seen as bad and ugly by these people.

These are issues that grooming alone cannot fix. Beauty standards and what is considered to be "attractive" is something that heavily intersects with a variety of issues, from poverty to racism to fatphobia to gender expectations to wealth, etc. Grooming alone isn't going to do shit if you aren't already, at the bare minimum, a thin average looking white person from a middle-class (or higher) background. Otherwise, you need to pray that you are born pretty or else you are kind of screwed.

In reference to the original post, I relate OP. I also hate my appearance quite a hit. I genuinely want my family to destroy any photos of me when I die. My appearance causes me distress sometimes and always find myself feeling insecure while in public because of it. Sometimes, I wonder if wearing makeup would help a bit, but I know that it would probably just make me feel even worse about myself.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov, Natanael and CantDoIt
J

JustAnx

Oct 12, 2024
I also consider myself an anattractive individual, i have low self steem and wish i looked differently.

However, i've had 7 formal girlfriends and 3 very short relationships that didn't end up in formal thing. (I'm in my earlt forties)

None of the women mentioned above were no super model or perfect face or whatever. But some of them i really loved and actually miss (specially now that i'm alone) But not loved because of the way that they looked, rather for what they meant for me at the time, loved for what he had going on. And i'm sure most of them felt the same way about me, they loved what i meant to them and i would say that even that made them feel more attracted to me.

That thing happens, when someone loves you as a person they(we) start to see past the looks.

So, what do unattractive individuals can do?
- Be realistic and accept that we shouldn't go for people that we think are out of our reach in physical terms. Tho is not impossible for them to fall in love with you it would too much of a struggle and we'd face rejection multiple times and that would brings down even more. Because, yes, we human beings are superficial. So have proper standards for yourself.

- Work on being an attractive individual in other aspects (like in mentioned before). Get to know your qualities and make them even better. Things like: Tenderness (this was a huge one for me), caring, loyalty, empathy and so on.

- Never beg for love. You'll waste time (precious time) and energy, that can be spent on trying to meet someone that can reciprocate.

- And, if with someone doesn't work, try and accept quickly that it wasn't meant to be.

Hope you feel better.

C

CantDoIt

Wizard
Jul 18, 2024
Yeah agreed, a lot of how you look is genetics and circumstance combined. If you're in poverty, not eating well, stressed due to poor living conditions, etc, you will look a lot worse and if you had the ability to groom you might not look much better. I have seen many people who have "good" genetics who look weathered, aged, etc, due to their poverty. These are young people with hard labor jobs living without must means to survive, bad nutrition, bordering on homelessness, with constantly-stressful home lives.

You see an actor or something go through one stressful period, they lose weight, something like that, and everyone will be like "they look terrible omg,' now imagine how there are thousands of people going through that every day and how much of this is due to capitalism, lack of mental health resources, and the way the world has been set up to favor a few rich people.

Natanael

Natanael

Oct 13, 2024
While attractive people do sometimes groom and take care of themselves, many of them are also just genetically blessed and socially. These are people who, even when they were young and would have still been learning how to best groom and care for themselves, were already fairly good-looking. Saying you just need to groom and take care of yourself is both invalidating and simplifying something that depends on a multitude of factors. There are people who don't meet conventional beauty standards who groom themselves and try to take good care of themselves and are still considered unattractive by societal beauty standards.

Also, the ability to groom and take good care of one's self is a privilege that not everyone is afforded. From mental health struggles to poverty, a lot of people are not in a position to do those things. You have to remember that beauty standards are based on status. They change alongside signals of wealth and power. For example, in the West, in the past, the beauty ideal was to have pale skin since that was a sign of being wealthy enough to not have to work outside in the sun. Then, that changed to being tanned when being wealthy was associated with being able to travel the world and vacation in exotic tropical countries. Being skinny was in until Kim Kardashian came along and got a BBL and then being "slim thicc" was seen as the ideal body type. Then it changed back to being skinny again after Ozempic started taking over Hollywood and after Kim Kardashian got her BBL removed, now revealing her new and much slimmer figure. Along with that, a lot of aspects of the new beauty standards require some sort of cosmetic procedure in order for you to keep up with them. These standards change a lot and are becoming increasingly impossible to reach without the help of a plastic surgeon. This, again, ties into how wealth relates to all of this.

These standards also extend to race. The same features that people of colour get bullied and shamed for are appropriated by wealthy white individuals, turning their features into trends to parade around. Remember a few years back when the trend was to look half black and half white? Or how having East Asian facial features was and still is despite those same features being mocked years ago? The cultures and stereotypical physical attributes that can be found amongst BIPOC are treated as trends and the worst part is that we still get shamed for our appearance. If we don't get shamed then we get fetishized. You don't get to be seen as a beautiful individual unless you are a white person with those traits. Once the trend is over, everyone goes back to shitting on those features.

Even within communities of colour, the beauty standards are based on your closeness to whiteness. For example, I am part white (not half white, but I do look biracial). I happen to look closer to the idealized image that people have in their heads when they think about having a biracial child who is half black half white. As a result, I have gotten the privilege of not going through the same discrimination that a lot of brown skin and dark-skinned black girls go through. When other black people see my hair, they love it. Not because it's anything special, just because I have a looser curl pattern. Having a looser curl pattern is seen as the ideal within the black community as it signals that you must be part white or are at least closer to whiteness in appearance. Kinky hair, especially 4c hair, is shamed in the community and is seen as ugly. Same thing with a lot of features associated with blackness, such as having a wider and flatter nose. A lot of dark-skinned black women in particular have talked about the discrimination they went through being shamed and bullied for their appearance, not just by white people but also by black boys and men, while people like me get to be put on a pedestal. Hence why there is so much representation of people who like me in black media in comparison to women who are dark-skinned. Think of the women you see in most music videos by black artists. The women who black men get within most movies made by black people. I'm not attractive, but I've always been seen as more attractive than most dark-skinned black women, even those who are arguably better looking than me, just because my appearance is one associated with those who are closer to whiteness.

This is also reflected in how white people view their biracial children, too. There are some people (usually white women, though not all of them of course) who have a fetish for mixed-race children. It's pretty disgusting, especially since a lot of them talk about their kids the same way one talks about their dog. They obsess over what they are mixed with and it isn't uncommon for some of them to mistreat their kids once they grow out of that "cute phase". However, they tend to dislike their mixed-race kids if they don't meet the ideal aesthetics associated with it (such as having tanned skin, loose curls, light-coloured eyes and hair, full lips, etc in the case of biracial kids who are part black). They want a child who looks "exotic" or, at the bare minimum, looks like they are part white. If they don't come out that way then they are kind of screwed. For example, when I was a child I was on the bus with my mom and her friends. My mom's friends pointed to some white lady who was staring at me a lot and they watched as she called up her kids, one by one, and compared their features with mine (they all had stronger black features). When she noticed that they were staring at her she looked away in shame. Even the way how your parents view and treat you can sometimes hinge on your association with whiteness, since "looking too black" is seen as bad and ugly by these people.

These are issues that grooming alone cannot fix. Beauty standards and what is considered to be "attractive" is something that heavily intersects with a variety of issues, from poverty to racism to fatphobia to gender expectations to wealth, etc. Grooming alone isn't going to do shit if you aren't already, at the bare minimum, a thin average looking white person from a middle-class (or higher) background. Otherwise, you need to pray that you are born pretty or else you are kind of screwed.

In reference to the original post, I relate OP. I also hate my appearance quite a hit. I genuinely want my family to destroy any photos of me when I die. My appearance causes me distress sometimes and always find myself feeling insecure while in public because of it. Sometimes, I wonder if wearing makeup would help a bit, but I know that it would probably just make me feel even worse about myself.
I agree with most of what you have mentioned, of course I must clarify, this is mainly a problem (especially racial) that occurs in more developed countries and this is a bit alien to me, at least in practice.

Even so, it is true that trying to learn to fix yourself, as you say is really difficult and depends on many factors, but at the same time if it is your appearance that is really pushing you to want to stop existing I consider (at least from my perspective) that it is important to devote resources and focus on trying to change that as far as possible, maybe not to reach the canons of beauty that every day are more unattainable, but to reach a standard, the reality is that a large majority of people do not fit into those standards.

and again, beauty is ephemeral, it is clear that having it helps you, but it always goes away and at least from my perspective I genuinely think that personality is more important than physique.

related to race is another issue, it is more complicated, it implies more social problems and in those cases it depends a lot on the region, discrimination or to be seen badly because of genetic issues is something quite difficult and at least for my part I don't have the knowledge to advise on that issue, but at the same time I don't know if this is the main problem of the OP.

The OP has mentioned that his current appearance may be due to neglect and his problems, in this situation he has only 3 ways, try to do something about it and maybe have the possibility to see that, hey he can change he can look good, or maybe not, maybe it is out of his possibilities at the moment but maybe there are other things in life that can help him to continue or the last one which is literally ending everything, maybe it is worth trying before doing something that is simply irreversible.

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
I agree with most of what you have mentioned, of course I must clarify, this is mainly a problem (especially racial) that occurs in more developed countries and this is a bit alien to me, at least in practice.

Even so, it is true that trying to learn to fix yourself, as you say is really difficult and depends on many factors, but at the same time if it is your appearance that is really pushing you to want to stop existing I consider (at least from my perspective) that it is important to devote resources and focus on trying to change that as far as possible, maybe not to reach the canons of beauty that every day are more unattainable, but to reach a standard, the reality is that a large majority of people do not fit into those standards.

and again, beauty is ephemeral, it is clear that having it helps you, but it always goes away and at least from my perspective I genuinely think that personality is more important than physique.

related to race is another issue, it is more complicated, it implies more social problems and in those cases it depends a lot on the region, discrimination or to be seen badly because of genetic issues is something quite difficult and at least for my part I don't have the knowledge to advise on that issue, but at the same time I don't know if this is the main problem of the OP.

The OP has mentioned that his current appearance may be due to neglect and his problems, in this situation he has only 3 ways, try to do something about it and maybe have the possibility to see that, hey he can change he can look good, or maybe not, maybe it is out of his possibilities at the moment but maybe there are other things in life that can help him to continue or the last one which is literally ending everything, maybe it is worth trying before doing something that is simply irreversible.
The main point of my mentioning race was to highlight the issue with your post, which is the over-emphasis on the idea of just grooming yourself. In a lot of cases, grooming and self-care both isn't an attainable feat for many and even with grooming and self-care there can still be a variety of other factors that make it so that it would still be impossible to be seen as attractive. Race was mainly used as an example to further this point, not as something to imply that this applies in the OP's case. While they do mention being overweight front depression, we don't really know them or to the extent to which something as simple as self-care would aid in them getting to a point in being seen as attractive (at least by their standards), so it's best not to make this put to be a simple issue of just grooming and self-care alone. At some point, the issue starts to go beyond just you as an individual and there isn't much that can he done about it.

Natanael

Natanael

Oct 13, 2024
The main point of my mentioning race was to highlight the issue with your post, which is the over-emphasis on the idea of just grooming yourself. In a lot of cases, grooming and self-care both isn't an attainable feat for many and even with grooming and self-care there can still be a variety of other factors that make it so that it would still be impossible to be seen as attractive. Race was mainly used as an example to further this point, not as something to imply that this applies in the OP's case. While they do mention being overweight front depression, we don't really know them or to the extent to which something as simple as self-care would aid in them getting to a point in being seen as attractive (at least by their standards), so it's best not to make this put to be a simple issue of just grooming and self-care alone. At some point, the issue starts to go beyond just you as an individual and there isn't much that can he done about it.
and I did not assume or claim that this was the way to fix the problem definitively.

That is why I used the word ''Maybe'' and that is also why my final sentence also explains that even if this cannot be achieved there are always things that can be done.

We do not have much information about the current situation of the OP or its scope, I do not seek to oversimplify their problems, but I speak from an ambiguous position and we speak from a lack of knowledge about their life.

Reactions: EvisceratedJester