• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3b
    oei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

albert_camus

albert_camus

Absurdist
Jan 8, 2024
Does anyone else feel like a failure because of the demands of society that they don't know if they can fulfill?
Does society, which is full of hate, also make you feel worthless and useless?
At the moment I'm asking myself again whether it wouldn't be better to leave. On the one hand because I can't "do justice" to society as a whole, on the other hand because I don't know if I can manage my life well in the future and because I don't know if I want to live in such a hateful society.
At the moment I hate myself and feel incapable, useless and worthless and I can't manage to feel good about myself.
The future scares me, my personal future, the question of how society and world politics will change, etc.
I worry about literally everything and I should be doing so much, I can't allow myself to worry.

Reactions: jbleakness, Arachno, Heartaches and 4 others
carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
I do agree there is quite a bit of hate around. I have struggled with a lot of the expectations and prejudices I see in day to day life. I do also think that a lot of this is manufactured or distorted by people or forces that want to gain attention or money. Most people, I find, are well meaning and good and to discover that I have had to deal with some of my own prejudices. Also I have found things to be a lot easier since I stopped paying attention to the news and logged off social media.

• Love
Reactions: Heartaches, Sunset Limited and albert_camus
Vicolo cieco

Vicolo cieco

Student
May 14, 2024
I'm actually a failure, but I know it's not my fault. I have shitty genetics that prevent me from succeeding in any endeavor.

• Hugs
Reactions: Heartaches and divinemistress36
bFre3

bFre3

Apr 8, 2024
Although it depends a lot on where you live and who you are raised by, I feel like society generally expects success. Unfortunately, not everyone can meet them, I think. I'm one of them :(

albert_camus

albert_camus

Absurdist
Jan 8, 2024
I do agree there is quite a bit of hate around. I have struggled with a lot of the expectations and prejudices I see in day to day life. I do also think that a lot of this is manufactured or distorted by people or forces that want to gain attention or money. Most people, I find, are well meaning and good and to discover that I have had to deal with some of my own prejudices. Also I have found things to be a lot easier since I stopped paying attention to the news and logged off social media.
Yep, I should probably stop reading those hateful comments everywhere. I always feel the need to defend everyone and I also think that's a good thing to do, but reading tons of hateful comments is draining af.
I wish people where nicer to each other. Maybe nice people are underrepresented on social media, hopefully, because if people on social media represent society in any way then byee.
Although it depends a lot on where you live and who you are raised by, I feel like society generally expects success. Unfortunately, not everyone can meet them, I think. I'm one of them :(
You are enough. 🫶🏻
I'm actually a failure, but I know it's not my fault. I have shitty genetics that prevent me from succeeding in any endeavor.
Even if the hateful part of society would think that, you are not a failure by not being able to succeed certain things. 🫶🏻

Last edited:
Reactions: Vicolo cieco
L

LaughingGoat

Mage
Apr 11, 2024
My perspective is it does more harm than good to dehumanize society. Society is made up of countless people, including those just like you or me. There is no single hive-mind mentality. Sure there are generally accepted views, but as an individual I choose whether to share that opinion. The definition of success as a example: in the US having and flaunting wealth is evangelized more than most ideals but I have no interest in viewing that as success or engaging in that lifestyle. It doesn't harm me to remove myself from that lifestyle. If society means the entire city, country, continent, or world, well then the whole of society doesn't know I exist or care that I think differently. At the end of the day, I choose who to be as a person and people who share or are tolerant of my views are those I spend time with. Being accepted by the whole of society or spending time with every person in my society isn't possible anyways, so it's not something I am concerned with.

Reactions: albert_camus
T

thenamingofcats

annihilation anxiety
Apr 19, 2024
Does anyone else feel like a failure because of the demands of society that they don't know if they can fulfill?
At the moment I'm asking myself again whether it wouldn't be better to leave. On the one hand because I can't "do justice" to society as a whole, on the other hand because I don't know if I can manage my life well in the future and because I don't know if I want to live in such a hateful society.
At the moment I hate myself and feel incapable, useless and worthless and I can't manage to feel good about myself.
The future scares me, my personal future, the question of how society and world politics will change, etc.
I worry about literally everything and I should be doing so much, I can't allow myself to worry.

To society's eyes I'm a failure but I have untapped resources that society could have used if it wasn't so...social. So I see society as more the failure for not harnessing the contributions of all members.

Btw you make 2 absurdists on the forum now. I was deeply moved by The Stranger and revisit it a couple times a year.

Reactions: albert_camus
albert_camus

albert_camus

Absurdist
Jan 8, 2024
My perspective is it does more harm than good to dehumanize society. Society is made up of countless people, including those just like you or me. There is no single hive-mind mentality. Sure there are generally accepted views, but as an individual I choose whether to share that opinion. The definition of success as a example: in the US having and flaunting wealth is evangelized more than most ideals but I have no interest in viewing that as success or engaging in that lifestyle. It doesn't harm me to remove myself from that lifestyle. If society means the entire city, country, continent, or world, well then the whole of society doesn't know I exist or care that I think differently. At the end of the day, I choose who to be as a person and people who share or are tolerant of my views are those I spend time with. Being accepted by the whole of society or spending time with every person in my society isn't possible anyways, so it's not something I am concerned with.
Sometimes I think similarly or in the same way and sometimes I'm overwhelmed by the hatred that some parts of society carry within them and also externalize by having to badmouth everything, really everything.
People who condone violence (against certain groups of people), etc. sometimes drag me down so much and at the same time I don't want to look away.
To society's eyes I'm a failure but I have untapped resources that society could have used if it wasn't so...social. So I see society as more the failure for not harnessing the contributions of all members.

Btw you make 2 absurdists on the forum now. I was deeply moved by The Stranger and revisit it a couple times a year.
If society wasn't so social? What do you mean by that?
The philosophy of Camus calms me down tbh.

T

thenamingofcats

annihilation anxiety
Apr 19, 2024
I see society as valuing status and popularity over valuing getting needs met and keeping things running smoothly. The pecking order seems to dominate everything so that people that have a lot to contribute but don't fit socially are pushed out in favor of people that fit the mold. I'm on the spectrum and I see it constantly. I'm not talking about people that are badly behaved but things like having tourettes, a strong lisp, a visible disability, or just plain strange.

Reactions: Throwawayacc3
L

LaughingGoat

Mage
Apr 11, 2024
Sometimes I think similarly or in the same way and sometimes I'm overwhelmed by the hatred that some parts of society carry within them and also externalize by having to badmouth everything, really everything.
People who condone violence (against certain groups of people), etc. sometimes drag me down so much and at the same time I don't want to look away.

Yeah definitely agree that venting can be healthy, as long as it's not somebody's default, constant state.

Absurdism is a great way to keep everything in perspective. It really is absurd to think a bunch of fish started living on land, kept evolving till they became apes, then us, and now we're discussing the ideals of society over a network of electricity and radio waves.

S

SMmetalhead36

Ready to have my forever date with suicide
Oct 6, 2023
I'm reminded of this everyday. I've been to college, but each time they want this degree then they want that degree, then they want 5 years of experience with this + the degree. On top of that, they want this license and that license, you're too nice, too direct, too sassy, to aggressive and angry and you don't smile enough. So coupled with this and all the other trauma I've faced through life, I've never felt like I measured up to society's expectations and feel the same things you listed above.

jbear824

jbear824

trapped & scared
Jul 4, 2023
My personal motto is: Fuck society.
Humanity has chosen and continues to choose to live in profoundly stupid ways. Society can die in a fire. Don't exist for society's sake. Like ever.

Reactions: divinemistress36