• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3b
    oei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Alexei_Kirillov

Alexei_Kirillov

Missed my appointment with Death
Mar 9, 2024
With each year that goes by, I seem to lose something else and become hollowed out even further. I have come to realize that nothing is safe from this inexorable process of loss, that everything can be taken away. I thought, surely, music must be the exception to the rule, but no, that has now gone from me too. Mourning what once was has become a common pastime. I know, of course, that much--though not all--of what I've lost can be regained, but that can only come about with time and an incredible exertion of effort that I'm either unwilling or unable to give.

This isn't a complaint against a perceived injustice so much as a melancholic lamentation. I think I really am telling the truth when I say that I feel as if I've already reached the end of my lifespan, that I almost feel like a 90-year-old on their death bed, having lived out their full life, and having lost most of what they once held dear. As King Solomon said, "there is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens." I have bypassed the time to rebuild, and am perhaps now fated to watch what little remains disintegrate piece by piece until eternal blackness finally overtakes me.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Forever Sleep, Hollowman and 8 others
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Illuminated
Jul 23, 2022
Yes, it is stripping away the little self-esteem I had and any sense of safety and comfort simply existing.

• Hugs
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, jar-baby, Dr Iron Arc and 2 others
pollux

pollux

May 24, 2024
Loss of potentialities. The passage of time reminds us of the one thing all organisms have in common with each other.

I'm young and even I feel like this; I remember telling myself after I was 18 that "technically, 18 and 19 are still teenagers not adults", just to not accept the fact that I wasn't a kid anymore.

Time waits for no one; the only way to deal with this is to make the most of the time you were given, but that isn't always easy.

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, jar-baby, Dr Iron Arc and 3 others
H

HopeToStay

May 31, 2024
I have just found that as time passes, problems come at me faster than i can deal with them. I start a new year motivated with a set of goals to improve my life, but by the end of the year, i haven't achieved them and now i face new problems, in fact, in some years the problems i had before end up seeming insignificant. I was thinking the other day how i would love to go back to COVID lockdown years 2020-2021. Even though that was total garbage compared to the years before, in comparison to now, it seems like heaven.

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha and Alexei_Kirillov
Agon321

Agon321

I use google translate
Aug 21, 2023
It's hard for me to say.

In general, I really don't like the passage of time.
In my opinion, this is a gigantic flaw in our biological life.
The fact that everything will pass sooner or later makes me have no motivation.
Why do anything if time will destroy it?

This is my huge philosophical problem that I cannot deal with.
I'm probably focusing too much on the future and the present is missing.

I don't like this temporariness of our lives and our achievements.

I can't answer your questions in detail.

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020

• Yay!
Reactions: Eternal Pessimist, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and Alexei_Kirillov
Alexei_Kirillov

Alexei_Kirillov

Mar 9, 2024
An analogy I thought of: if these abstract concepts--physical health, mental health, energy, interests, etc.--were expressed as a sum of money, and we say I had $1000 in the bank when I was 18, at 23 I'm now probably down to $250. Some people speak about being "rich in spirit," but in my case, the years have only impoverished me.

• Hugs
Reactions: Pluto
TapeMachine

TapeMachine

perpetually confused
Jan 12, 2023
Yes. I feel the same way. For whatever reason, I cannot seem to articulate my thoughts and feelings atm, but my experience has been comparable to yours.

Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
The passage of time is a brutal inevitability, the one thing that's truly guaranteed in life. I feel similarly, that as I have aged I've lost more than I've gained and am withering away so to speak. One of the hardest things to grapple with in life for me is that there is a time and place for everything, and when that time has passed, we can't get it back or demand a do-over.

I can relate to feeling like an old man who has seen it all, and is ready for that eternal rest.. despite only being in my mid 20s like you. Some people experience a great deal of hardships earlier in life than others, who are spared those pains until a later date. These experiences force us to 'grow up' quicker I think, though everyone will inevitably have to experience regrets, grief, loss, and so on and so forth. It is just a specific sort of hell to deal with at what is considered to be a young age.

Sylvia Plath writes about this a lot, and I think it must have been a large motivator in her despair. She wanted to experience everything, many different lives all at once, and sample everything good and unique the world had to offer, only to realize what an impossibility those grandiose dreams in the face of time constantly marching forward.

This reflects in her metaphorical passage where she describes life as a great fig tree, ripe with fruits, but over time many of those spoils may rot and wither in the face of indecisiveness. We can choose one fig, but then this decision causes us to miss out on others and ponder about what could have been. Yet, we can't change the past once it's been done and written about.

Aging has not been kind to me either. From what I've observed in my life, many people seem to be able to cope with old age if their losses are eventually accompanied by gains along the way. Take the example of familial grief. Everyone eventually has to face the death of the people who raised them. Losing a parent, for example, may be a lot easier to cope with if you have a supportive partner and children who will be by your side and comfort you. If you never managed to gain more supportive people in life, that loss and absence is going to hit like a freight train.

Maybe you can also relate to this, losing a lot to time but then not feeling as if you had gained anything positive in the process. Childhood was not great for many of us here, but youth is an era of opportunity and possibilities, a young mind and body are like pliable clay that has yet to be moulded into any shape. With age, a lot of opportunities inevitably dry up. It's a hard pill to swallow.

When I was a child being raised by my grandparents (since I had no parents of my own) we often watched this Charlotte's web movie together on the old VHS tapes. It's supposed to be a heartwarming story to teach kids lessons about the cycle of life and the inevitable death, grief, and loss that accompanies these biological processes.

To this day, in spite of it's poignancy and ability to convey such heavy topics to children, the memory of this story still hurts me though. It's a grim reminder of how the things we love will be lost to time, and yet, the world just keeps on turning all the same. The seasons will continue to change, new young will be born, and the elders will pass on, regardless of what we do. Death is life's one great equaliser.

Knowing this is "just the way life is" though doesn't make it any easier for any of us. I would do anything in my power to turn back time again and be a little girl of around 3-4, sitting in bed with my grandparents who loved me unconditionally and watching this on the old grainy CRT. My grandfather has been a box of ashes for years now and my grandma is on borrowed time due to a freak accident. Being all alone in this world and growing older is a deep, raw sort of melancholy. I will share a song from the Charlotte's web film that has touched me deeply my entire life, in the hopes that it might resonate with you as well.

"He turns the seasons around
And so she changes her gown
But they always look in their prime
They go on dancing their dance
Of everlasting romance
Mother Earth and Father Time"

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Pluto, Alexei_Kirillov and jar-baby
Callie Arcale

Callie Arcale

It’s a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing
Feb 10, 2021
The older I got, the more my health deteriorated, so yes, aging had been synonymous with loss in my case.

• Hugs
Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov and KuriGohan&Kamehameha
Alexei_Kirillov

Alexei_Kirillov

Mar 9, 2024
Aging has not been kind to me either. From what I've observed in my life, many people seem to be able to cope with old age if their losses are eventually accompanied by gains along the way. Take the example of familial grief. Everyone eventually has to face the death of the people who raised them. Losing a parent, for example, may be a lot easier to cope with if you have a supportive partner and children who will be by your side and comfort you. If you never managed to gain more supportive people in life, that loss and absence is going to hit like a freight train.

Maybe you can also relate to this, losing a lot to time but then not feeling as if you had gained anything positive in the process. Childhood was not great for many of us here, but youth is an era of opportunity and possibilities, a young mind and body are like pliable clay that has yet to be moulded into any shape. With age, a lot of opportunities inevitably dry up. It's a hard pill to swallow.
Yes, I also relate to this. Nothing has really "replaced" the things I've lost, nor have I gained something else that at least would've made those losses easier to bear. So it's just this process of depletion heaped on top of depletion, without any chances to recharge.

• Love
Reactions: Callie Arcale and KuriGohan&Kamehameha
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
The most I feel from aging has just been occasional back pain. One of the few benefits of being Asian I guess.

A lot of times I lament more about how the environment and world around me has changed with age. Things like economic inflation, deteriorating infrastructure, closed down restaurants and other stores I used to go to, and other things like that feel like more of a loss to me.

I suppose when it comes to myself, it does feel like I've also lost a lot of empathy and other positive emotions/sensations I used to experience when I was younger too but then again that feels more like it was caused by personal events than just regular aging…

Last edited:
Eternal Pessimist

Eternal Pessimist

Student
Oct 16, 2019
As sad as it is, my mental health and maturity probably peaked at around 19 and physically I peaked at 21. Since then it's been a slow decline physically and a fast one mentally.

Reactions: Callie Arcale and Alexei_Kirillov
H

HopeToStay

May 31, 2024

This is what i experienced during COVID. I went into it having a great job that allowed me to travel everywhere, i'd saved up a lot of money in the previous 5 years and was hoping to put down a deposit for a house, and i finally found a new partner who had a lot of potential. I was the happiest i'd been in a decade, but during COVID I split with my partner, mostly due to geography and lost my job and almost all of my savings. I also found it hard to restart my career. I failed 7 interviews which is more than i'd ever failed in my entire career prior. And naturally i was older and less attractive (i'm not vain but life is far easier the more attractive you are).

I felt like I was back to square 1 except everything was now harder and i had nothing to offset being older. But having said that i was still willing to fight on. It's only recently that i have been exhibiting symptom of a major chronic disease that drew me to this forum. I'm still undergoing tests, and praying that it is something else, but the signs aren't looking good. And it's not one of those things that'll either kill you or leave you in peace either. It'll be a slow but unavoidable decline and an early death.

Having lost my past, it would be hard to accept losing my future too. Might as well just fast forward to the credits.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Callie Arcale, Alexei_Kirillov, Dr Iron Arc and 1 other person
RosebyAnyName

RosebyAnyName

Student
Nov 9, 2023
One of my biggest joys in my life is related to my beauty, and as the days go by I get more and more aware of how it fades so quickly. I miss having perfect skin. Every ache and pain that becomes permanent is just another reminder that I will never know a painless life ever again, and that I didn't embrace what I had when I had it. I mourn the life I had when I was able to listen to silence and not tinnitus that makes it hard to sleep. Aging is like experiencing grief over and over.

Reactions: Callie Arcale and Alexei_Kirillov
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Illuminated
Jul 23, 2022
Sylvia Plath writes about this a lot, and I think it must have been a large motivator in her despair. She wanted to experience everything, many different lives all at once, and sample everything good and unique the world had to offer, only to realize what an impossibility those grandiose dreams in the face of time constantly marching forward.
@jar-baby 's body quivers whenever someone mentions Sylvia Path on here

• Yay!
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha and jar-baby