TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
During this stupid month full pro-lifers virtue signaling to their hearts' content, here is a platitude/quote that is not as common, but cliché and annoying. It serves nothing more than to dismiss, ignore, and trivialize what a person has to say. This phrase (I apologize if it isn't word for word, but the meaning is still the same) is "You control/make your own happiness!", "You choose whether to be happy or not!", "Happiness is up to you/what you make of it!" etc. This is (was) a statement that was said by many people, including my beloved ladyfriend (which was something that increased my ragefuel and CTBfuel). I didn't confide much of my life to my so called 'ladyfriend' but I did voice my needs and wants, only to be misunderstood, dismissed, invalidated, and trivialized! :hmph::angry::ohh: Needless to say, my relations further soured and bittered even more since then.

It's rather sad and tragic (for me at least) that someone who played a pivotal role in me not CTB'ing in May 2019 made a turn for the worst. She was my lifefuel, then CTBfuel, and of course, ragefuel. Lifefuel in earlier parts of 2019 due to a good, decent encounter I had with her (despite it being platonic - of all things), CTBfuel because of what happened to sour things near end of 2019, and of course ragefuel due to learning (with evidence) that she is a pro-lifer. If anything, this would likely be a flashpoint (on top of all existing circumstances and factors) towards my CTB'ing in the coming future. In an utopia though, this would never have been the case, but alas, we don't live in such an universe. We live in a dystopia where we aren't even allowed to "freely" exit without consequence yet aren't given anything (the world tells us we aren't entitled to anything nor owed anything but forced to live).

Anyways, I digress, but back to the topic at hand. The happiness statement really is a way for the speaker to dismiss, invalidate, and trivialize one anothers' woes and plights while tooting his/her own ego and getting the praises of his/her peers around him/her! :aw::ohhhh::angry::hmph:

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, ithappens, death137 and 8 others
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
This phrase (I apologize if it isn't word for word, but the meaning is still the same) is "You control/make your own happiness!", "You choose whether to be happy or not!", "Happiness is up to you/what you make of it!" etc.

...But as soon as someone ends their own life - the people that use the phrases you quoted will blame the suicide for causing them pain, as if to imply that a suicidal person is responsible for their happiness, or rather unhappiness. It is hyprocritical. Personally I believe we are responsible for each others emotions to an extent.

We live in a dystopia where we aren't even allowed to "freely" exit without consequence yet aren't given anything (the world tells us we aren't entitled to anything nor owed anything but forced to live).

This attitude that some people have is anger-inducing. If the world has no obligation to care about the needs or well-being of a suicidal person, or anyone for that matter, then a suicidal person should not have any obligations to the world. If somebody has the belief that they don't owe anything to anyone then, by their own logic, that person should actually be okay with suicide and shouldn't consider it wrong or selfish.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, ithappens, death137 and 4 others
B

BetterInthanOut

Student
Mar 6, 2020
I can't tell you how much I agree

We live in a dystopia where we aren't even allowed to "freely" exit without consequence yet aren't given anything (the world tells us we aren't entitled to anything nor owed anything but forced to live).

If 'life is what you make it' then let me do what the fuck I want with it

Reactions: Sprite_Geist, death137, siickmann3 and 2 others
VIBRITANNIA

VIBRITANNIA

lelouch. any pronouns. pfp is by pixiv id 3217872.
Aug 10, 2020
"You control/make your own happiness!"
other people can ruin what brings you joy. they can ridicule you for your interests and hobbies, and make you feel ashamed for being happy because of those things. and anyways, happiness isn't something you can control. you can't decide what goes on in your brain.

"You choose whether to be happy or not!"
people don't choose to be mentally ill, traumatized, or unsatisfied with their life. happiness isn't a light switch you can turn on and off. again, you can't control happiness.

"Happiness is up to you/what you make of it!"
again, other people can shit on the things that make you happy.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, ithappens, Sprite_Geist and 4 others
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
...But as soon as someone ends their own life - the people that use the phrases you quoted will blame the suicide for causing them pain, as if to imply that a suicidal person is responsible for their happiness, or rather unhappiness. It is hyprocritical. Personally I believe we are responsible for each others emotions to an extent.

This attitude that some people have is anger-inducing. If the world has no obligation to care about the needs or well-being of a suicidal person, or anyone for that matter, then a suicidal person should not have any obligations to the world. If somebody has the belief that they don't owe anything to anyone then, by their own logic, that person should actually be okay with suicide and shouldn't consider it wrong or selfish.
Well said, in fact, I channel a lot of my anger from pro-lifers into pushing myself towards CTB'ing and also emphasizing how fucked up the world is in my manifesto.

I can't tell you how much I agree

If 'life is what you make it' then let me do what the fuck I want with it
Agree. Most people are hypocrites and/or lack self-awareness.

"You control/make your own happiness!"
other people can ruin what brings you joy. they can ridicule you for your interests and hobbies, and make you feel ashamed for being happy because of those things. and anyways, happiness isn't something you can control. you can't decide what goes on in your brain.

"You choose whether to be happy or not!"
people don't choose to be mentally ill, traumatized, or unsatisfied with their life. happiness isn't a light switch you can turn on and off. again, you can't control happiness.

"Happiness is up to you/what you make of it!"
again, other people can shit on the things that make you happy.
Good remarks and counter-remarks against these platitudes and I'm on the same page as you with your responses.

Reactions: death137 and siickmann3