• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

T

thenamingofcats

annihilation anxiety
Apr 19, 2024
Is there a reason why I can't do something like use a tv mount to hang myself from (partial) or drill something like a steel ring into one of the studs?
I'm thinking something like this:

If this is no good I'm also considering SN but am paranoid about a police visit and sourcing.

J

Jorms_McGander

Arcanist
Oct 17, 2023
I see no reason you couldn't use a stud finder and a bunch of threaded hooks to create a solid anchor from any ceiling. Like rock climbing, just add hooks to the rope to divide the strain. The hooks themselves are cheap hardware and come in sizes up to bicycle hangers but I'm imagining ten 2" hooks. You could do math if you were so inclined, but yeah. 2x4s and threaded hardware can take some good weight. Heavy bags are mounted to studs. For even more weight just pop a hole in the ceiling on either side of the 2x4 and go horizontally through the member.

Not a carpenter or I'd have the proper jargon for the same shape of wood in different places within a house lol

Edit: your hardware looks fine as well. Make sure to use coarse threaded screws
I edited in a detail you should know that coarser threaded screws have better grip in wood than finer threads

• Informative
Reactions: thenamingofcats
T

thenamingofcats

annihilation anxiety
Apr 19, 2024
I see no reason you couldn't use a stud finder and a bunch of threaded hooks to create a solid anchor from any ceiling. Like rock climbing, just add hooks to the rope to divide the strain. The hooks themselves are cheap hardware and come in sizes up to bicycle hangers but I'm imagining ten 2" hooks. You could do math if you were so inclined, but yeah. 2x4s and threaded hardware can take some good weight. Heavy bags are mounted to studs. For even more weight just pop a hole in the ceiling on either side of the 2x4 and go horizontally through the member.

Not a carpenter or I'd have the proper jargon for the same shape of wood in different places within a house lol

Edit: your hardware looks fine as well. Make sure to use coarse threaded screws
I edited in a detail you should know that coarser threaded screws have better grip in wood than finer threads
Thank you so much! I was wondering about busting up the ceiling and why people don't do that too. I guess people don't want to do minor construction before ctb but it does seem like a way to fool proof at least part of the hanging.

J

Jorms_McGander

Arcanist
Oct 17, 2023
Thank you so much! I was wondering about busting up the ceiling and why people don't do that too. I guess people don't want to do minor construction before ctb but it does seem like a way to fool proof at least part of the hanging.
Yeah I guess it's the effort. A lot of people who CTB are disabled physically or mentally so perhaps the conversation is angled toward the least amount of effort for that reason.

I do have another thought just on the practical application of this: after overshooting what I felt was necessary to support enough weight I'd then make sure to also test it harder than I intended to use it and make sure the tests aren't going to injure me.

I understand that goes without saying but from my perspective it feels important to mention that "just in case" cuz I didn't do more than offer guidelines, am not a professional builder, and the contraption could still fail for any reason so it should be encouraged to fail during a test

R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
A door way pull up bar might work better. They practically are designed to hold your full weight during pull up sessions.